



APSA Executive Council Meeting
May 31st, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:06 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Sarah, Prerna, Brooklyn, Sydney, Cassandra, Talia, Goodwin, Zach, Jin
 - a. Regrets: Asmaa
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)
Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Talia **Second:** Zach
4. Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)
Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Zach **Second:** Talia

New Business Table of Contents

5. General Housekeeping (Prerna) - 5 mins	1
6. Update about Committee Applications (Sarah) - 5 mins	2
7. Outgoing Financial Payment logistics (Goodwin) - 15 mins	2
8. RxFactor Venue (Jin) - 10 mins	4
9. Review of the Past Year of Events (Sarah) - 15 mins (or whatever time is remaining)	5
10a. Career Series (Talia) - 1 min: I just wanted to quickly put out a request for suggestions on guest speakers with unique career paths.	7

New Business:

5. General Housekeeping (Prerna) - 5 mins

Prerna: So to start tonight, I just wanted to describe how things will work during the semester for executives, but there are exec meetings biweekly, general council meetings biweekly, student services meetings biweekly, so just know that every other week you will have two meetings. Please don't quit the council, but just so [that] you are aware of the school year. And sometimes we have RxA and ACP meetings as they contact us. I don't know if I mentioned this to you all yet, but ACP is trying to book a meeting in June. Usually it's in person and I would love it if some of you can make it for those in Edmonton, but I will try to make it so you can also join online. I will let you know when they contact me about their availability and let you guys know about the options. But other than that, for stuff regarding meetings, if you can't make it or if you want to add something to the agenda, then the best person to contact is Sarah, but you can let me know if you need to. And I know you all are starting to plan events, but communication wise there are a lot of people that will need to work together, like Jin, Sydney and Brooklyn need to work together, everyone will need to contact Goodwin, and so on. But I want you to be clear on expectations of each other and divide up tasks so you don't struggle.

Talia: I just want to throw it out there, but if there are issues with attending meetings and responsibilities, that's when we get into professionalism committee territory. It was an issue last year in general council that I wasn't really addressed [about] so I think moving forward I will be hard on that.

Perna: One other thing I want to make sure that we do is that last year, a lot of people were in the same group of friends so it's easy to plan, schedule meetings and work together. But a lot of us come from different friend groups, so I need you to be transparent with each other with how much you can put on your plate and what you need to delegate. It's a learning curve, but if you don't know how to manage the workload or how to talk to someone, please come to me and I will try to help you. I know it happens because I learned it last year, but nip it in the bud early. I will try to get to you guys with individual meetings. But if you are planning an event, please bring it up in meetings, I want us to support each other.

Sarah: Just to add to what was previously mentioned, I would like to ask that if you can't come to meeting that you respond no on the calendar. I will respect your privacy in not asking the reason, but I think its reasonable to just ask that you give notice that you are unable to come so we don't have to wait for you thinking you might come. And I think all of us are aware of [Robert's Rules](#), but if you would like be to review it I can, otherwise I have linked it in the agenda.

6. Update about Committee Applications (Sarah) - 5 mins

Sarah: So following up with what was discussed for committees, I had the chance to have a meeting with Alyssa and Perna to finalize some timelines and how we want the election to go about. Since we missed the early window for trying to put out applications in March/April, it was suggested that we start August 1st as a launch to advertise all years including the incoming first years until around the end of August. But first years will need to be an APSA member to be on the committee. So the bi-election for all years and time for first years to apply will be open after first year orientation until September 15th along with First Year Class and Social Rep in addition to the remaining council positions of GFC, SU Rep and APSA photographers. We also discussed simplifying the application to a maximum of 250 words as we felt this was a large barrier to students applying but we still wanted the general council to elect the committee members and be able to see who looks to be a good fit for the committee. So after applications are taken in, it will be voted on during a general council meeting. Are there comments or questions remaining about committee applications for this year right now?

Perna: This mostly impacts Zach, Cass and Jin, you guys plan most of the things in the summer. I don't know how you did planning with Jazzi, Zach, but I think most of the planning happens in the summer. Like as VP external, I was able to do most of the planning myself, but I thought I needed more hands than ideas, but you guys can do this however you want to. But for the little things, I felt you need more volunteers for help. Let us know if you have any issues or concerns with this plan for committees, but we thought it would be easier to apply and fair to try to involve first years. But let us know if you have an issue and we will change it accordingly.

Cassandra: I just wanted to say that I agree, because sometimes people sign up but then never show up.

Perna: That's a fair point. But just because we lessened the application length and removed the video, **doesn't** mean you need to go easy on them.

7. Outgoing Financial Payment logistics (Goodwin) - 15 mins

Goodwin: Hey everybody, long story short is that upon asking questions at a Scotiabank branch APSA's need basically in the legal sense for signing authorities to switch over is still really going to be a hindrance for getting money out for the summer. Current system is to have co-signing authority between VP finance and the President. This is upheld by the constitution and how they did it in the past. What this means is that for some bank processes and procedures which can only be done in person, both me and Perna have to be at the same Scotiabank location. Since I am currently living in Lethbridge for the summer, this makes it a logistical nightmare for many of the financial activities that should be going on throughout the year. Therefore, I am proposing we discuss and vote on whether we could change our APSA bank legal signing stuff so that either me or Perna can authorize outgoing transactions when both of us being in person is normally required, only for the duration of the summer. As big of an issue as I am making this out to be, this will probably only happen very rarely and in order to maintain transparency with the rest of the executive council, I will create a summarized report anytime we exercise this authority at our biweekly

summer meetings. We can then reverse this back in September. Thanks, do you have any comments about that?

Talia: That sounds very reasonable.

Goodwin: I also want to clarify, if people have been waiting for me to send out the budget planning email, I have them all planned out and laid out. I haven't sent them out because I just don't feel comfortable when I have outstanding financial activity from the previous year so it feels tough to talk about the budget when my budget's unresolved from last year. And some people on the council might have money owed from last year, but really it's just been the Scotiabank issue that's been hindering that. So I will probably be getting busy once that's been addressed and we can do the cosigning thing so we can get the ball rolling. In case you've been wondering about that since I brought it up at the beginning of this month and now it's the end of the month and I haven't sent anything out.

Zach: I know it's the whole geographic issue and getting in the same room. Do you have an idea of when the ball might start rolling?

Goodwin: I would really hope that when I go to Edmonton for two days, the second weekend of June, that it will already have happened. And I will be starting to do what I can in person with or without this motion. Then that point moving forward, I would hope that it's something I can work on in the background.

Zach: Okay thanks.

Perna: Just to be fair on my side and to answer Zach's question, Goodwin and I decided that if you need the money like right now. Message Goodwin and we will get you the money, doesn't matter if its 10 bucks or for what reason. But if APSA owes you money, that's what we said in the email, please let Goodwin know and he will try to transfer it to you right away. And I am working on the banking stuff its just super hard when we aren't in the same location, the bank keeps asking the same questions and responding every 4 days, it's just been tough. I just finished placement but I will try to talk to her in person. Goodwin and I also have a meeting planned when he comes back so we will try to push through as many transactions as we can together because I do want it to be valid. So if we can do it together and sign it together then we will for best practice. But if you need the money, then totally get it.

Zach: Sorry, it's just because the CAPSI National is on me for the fees.

Goodwin: Yeah, so that's actually one of the first big ones, I have all the invoices and necessary details. It's on me for not clarifying what's going on in the APSA end to CAPSI National, so I apologize for that. But that's item number one that needs money sent out, if Perna is able to get the in person part taken care of and we get the motion approved or whatever we need on the bank end. But long story short, if we can get the authorization approved, then we can make the payment like the next day I can walk into Scotiabank to do it.

Perna: Is that the thing you sent me the other day, Goodwin?

Goodwin: The letter? Or yes, the thing I sent you. I can show it to people later if they want to know, but it's the structure in how I request Perna to authorize transactions.

Perna: Zach, can I ask, do we owe CAPSI National money? Is that what's happening?

Zach: Yes for last year, it was due in March.

Perna: So how about, or sorry guys we can talk about this later for everyone not related. But does it work if I get signing authority then do it from my end.

Goodwin: I mean if you want to, I just know what I need to tell the bank. I guess I just need the legal part done.

Perna: Okay, Goodwin, Zach and I will talk about this after the meeting because CAPSI is a big thing. Everyone is okay with me resolving the motion?

Motion: BIRT (Be it resolved that) that we make a temporary change to have signing authority as follows: Goodwin or I, Perna, can sign off a transaction until all banking processes from the previous council year are completed.

First: Talia **Second:** Jln

All in favor

None opposed

Perna abstains.

8. RxFactor Venue (Jin) - 10 mins

Jin: Shouldn't take that long, but I am kinda in the process of booking the RxFactor venue because I know that's something that should be done early on in the summer, but something has come up, so I just want to discuss it with everyone. I know, in the past, RxFactor has been held in the Myer Horowitz Theatre, but they have been undergoing renovations for the last two years and they can't provide a specific date in which the theater will be open. They promised to have the theater open and ready to use in fall this year, but in the past that guarantee has not been correct. They promised it would be open in Spring this year and that hasn't happened. The only reason I bring this up is because this might be the venue that you were all hoping would be used for RxFactor as it's been used in the past and it has a higher capacity. More than 200 people can go to the theater compared to Dinwoodie. And we would not have to manage our own tickets because the theater has its own ticket office. But I was just wondering, what are your thoughts on this? We already know Dinwoodie and it's also cheaper by about \$2000 when I summed up the costs as well as it already exists. Also when I emailed the theater, they said if it's not ready to hold events during the date we booked, the only thing they can do is give a refund and they would let everyone who has an appointment at the theater know right away but they don't know when. My worry is if I book this and sign the contract and then it's September or late August and they let us know they can't host us because it hasn't passed inspections and we will be without any reservation to hold RxFactor. Does anyone have anything to say?

Goodwin: First off, from my portfolio's view, it's just a matter of whether or not that's where you want to plan it? I know you don't have too much experience compared to previous years. I don't know if you know how previous sets were held in the past at the Myer Horowitz. But as the main organizer, do you have a preference?

Jin: My preference is that we don't hold it at the Myer Horowitz, just because of the principle that it could be unfinished and it's a personal bias but I just have beef with the theater because I don't like how SU spent money on it, but that is not pertinent to the issue. Personally, I don't want to hold it there but I know the Dinwoodie was small and we had to set up things ourselves. And there were a couple issues with that place last year, I just don't know the alternative and I don't know the last time we held RxFactor in the Myer Horowitz because it has been under construction for so long, almost 3-4 years.

Talia: I'm just wondering, Dinwoodie was smaller, but it just had such a nice vibe where it was intimate but not too much so. There were some issues that did arise but I thought it was really nice. I know you said Myer Horowitz can host 200 additional people, but do we think having that much extra space is necessary? Are we likely to fill enough seats to offset the extra cost and is it necessary to do so? That's just another consideration, like sure we have 200 more seats but if only 50 people extra buy tickets, then is it really worthwhile?

Cassandra: Okay, let me start off with this as a non-executive position but as a RxFactor act, I would prefer the Myer Horowitz as it has a higher roof. But the main note, did we sell out of tickets and are there people who wanted more? Were there a lot of people trying to get tickets?

Perna: Yeah so we capped at 260 as that's all that they could take. From previous years and Julia going through documents, but we were at 400 students before COVID. So that's why I advised Jin at our transition meeting that it's better to get a higher capacity than 260 if you think about this, that's half of our faculty, but if it's about 135 students per class with at least 400 plus sponsors and faculty. From my experience with planning, I think we need a better capacity than Dinwoodie. But also I agree that I liked the vibe of Dinwoodie, it was homey and vibey, but the only issue was that I wish photobooth and catering wasn't in the same room, but they wouldn't let us do it outside. I know we also discussed Allard hall in McEwan.

Jin: Yeah that's right, I did contact them and they said they can't book people from October to December because they are hosting theater events. So that's not an option.

Talia: Have you looked at the theater at Campus Saint-Jean?

Jin: I did contact them and they have a really small capacity that does not fit the 400 minimum we want.

Sydney: I was gonna agree with Cass, I think Myer Horowitz is the better option. Just because the people last year looked at how fun it was so more people will want to go this year. There's usually a big seating area that would be good for food in a separate area.

Cass: That actually reminded me, but didn't someone fall off the stage last year because it was a little

small?

Prerna: Don't spill the dirt, but yes someone fell off the stage during rehearsals putting tape down. But that was an issue and they don't do big productions.

Cass: Sorry I just meant that we might want a bigger venue.

Goodwin: So actually, I was gonna add, but I know people who have attended or performed at the Myer Horowitz, but from a non-executive councilor perspective, it has higher production value and it gives more freedom to the performers. And that comes with the budget for each performance also hiking up the price, but you said you got a price quote from them?

Jin: Yes, I got a price quote from Myer Horowitz and Dinwoodie, prices are raised from last year per hour, but it's based on the discount with an updated SGS2 certificate as a student group with 50% off Myer Horowitz than what we would pay as 3rd party, but regular price for Dinwoodie. Keeping in mind Dinwoodie is still cheaper despite this discount for the same hours. I'm not saying I don't want Myer Horowitz because I haven't seen it, but I'm scared that I will sign a contract and then it's not open. It's a big risk, but I understand the better production value with its own lighting and piano.

Prerna: I think Myer Horowitz is probably our best bet, but what if you book Myer Horowitz but they don't finish then maybe you can book the Dinwoodie, but I don't know if that would make sense or if we have other options in the downtown area.

Jin: There are other options, like Citadel, but they are out of our price range, [the] size of room can vary between 200 to 800 people. I think it is best to look for the downtown area or on campus. There's Jubilee on campus but it is expensive. I will think about it and talk to you later Prerna, but one more thing, I don't know if they will let us book Dinwoodie and Myer Horowitz for the same day if the theater isn't ready.

Cass: Another suggestion is that maybe, would be checking if a highschool has a theater we can book. That might be an option, I know Vic is a performing arts school so they should have a decent theater or my highschool Harry Ainlay had a theater, but I don't know how big.

Prerna: I'm also thinking of the Fringe Theatre.

Jin: They might work, I will check them out to see if they fit what we need. But if we book off campus then we run into issues with insurance.

Zach: Orange Hub Theatre?

Prerna: These are good options, but I would look into it insurance wise, it is easier to do on campus.

Talia: You mentioned Vic, but I just checked its 680 people and so capacity wise it will work.

Jin: Okay, I will go to the drawing board, get more quotes and bring it back to the meeting to discuss later on.

9. [Review of the Past Year of Events](#) (Sarah) - 15 mins (or whatever time is remaining)

Prerna: So Sarah and I discussed that because we aren't doing the survey that we might not have enough time to get feedback with orientation coming up in August and events will creep up very fast. We just wanted to talk about events about what you liked and didn't like for those planning to work with to give some insight. I wanted to start with Orientation. So Brooklyn and Sydney, I don't know where you are with planning Orientation, I know you planned a little bit about it, but I don't know much. I wanted to get your guys opinion for those who were there? Lots like a lot of you. I know we are running out of time but anything thoughts you have to bring up?

Cass: I don't really remember much about Orientation, but I remember sitting a long time in the lecture hall. People start to lose interest.

Jin: I don't have constructive criticism, besides what was said about things going long, especially finance stuff. That's about it.

Talia: I was only volunteering on the outside of stuff doing sign in but I thought the volunteering coordinating was done well and I knew exactly where I had to be and what I had to do. But whatever system was used worked very well.

Goodwin: So for those of you there as volunteers or Orientation leaders, I don't know if you have an issue, but we had a lot of people leave in the afternoon. I don't know how we feel about that, but they can do whatever they want, not for me to say. Is this something we can control organization wise, Is that something we can control organization wise by skipping or leaving presentations for later? The number of pressing presentations might be less than what was shown or potentially doing activity then presentation?

Or whatever Social reps think for making it tolerable by scheduling.

Sydney: We haven't really talked about that. I felt it was a little unorganized in the afternoon because some of the groups were overlapping or skipping stations so I thought it was overloaded so we could try to do something. It's just having presentations over in the morning then we don't have to worry about people leaving later presentations. One thing we talked about is the 30 min presentation break where they organized a bingo game but it's hard to move around in a lecture hall so we wanted to move it to lunch time with a big enough space to socialize and make friends, that's the main thing with trying to find a space big enough for that. But I look into that more, but we can try to talk about splitting it up a bit but definitely have to make a game plan for it and bring it up at a leader meeting.

Goodwin: Personal suggestion, what if we use the outdoor grassy area in front of ECHA? Then people go inside for food? Still near the interaction but something like that in the outdoors that is under control.

Sydney: We heard complaints about it being too hot and having bees outside. So the places we are considering is that Anjela suggested two ECHA classrooms but that would segregate people, a place in the telus building, Katz second floor since the atrium is booked or Li Ka Shing foyer but Anjela thought it wouldn't be big enough. I was looking into booking telus and if it would be big enough, but I don't know if we can book ECHA outside and consider the complaints from last year. I will look into telus and go from there.

Brooklyn: I think we were focused on the location for lunch right now to give time to meet each other. In regards to the presentation, it has to happen, but it's hard to split it up. We have a tentative schedule at the moment with a half hour break. But we will keep you updated.

Sarah: Just to add on about presentations, I think it comes down to telling people you only have this much time, please be as concise as possible. I think we were a little more flexible in giving people as much time as they wanted so it went on forever, but just set hard limits.

Goodwin: I was never involved in planning orientation, but why is it critical for presentations to happen in the morning?

Sydney: I think worry is that people would leave after lunch because I think people left before activities in the afternoon. So we want them to be there to watch those at least, that would be my only concern. And I don't know how to coordinate people coming back to the lecture hall if it's later as it would set the schedule off.

Prerna: I think we will work on a schedule that's not urgent, but I know we will figure it out. And there were some things we could talk about later, which weren't necessary for first year orientation and some things that I think we missed that first years needed to know. I know the whole Mint Cup thing is in progress. Bojana and I are working [things] out with mint cup and we still need to make a decision with that. Don't worry too much about that right now.

Cass: Hear me out, what if we do a presentation on the necessary stuff and the other stuff we normally present we do as an amazing race going around to booths where people present their stuff there?

Talia: I like it, what if we do breakout sessions to rotate through? Gives more opportunity to ask questions in a smaller and then move rooms to have a change of pace. It could help break up long presentations to make it more bearable.

Prerna: I think you have each other to bounce off ideas as well but take some opinions and see what you can do with them.

Brooklyn: We appreciate all your feedback but if you have ideas before the next meeting please message us to take feedback as we are concerned about presentations as well.

Prerna: Just to let you all know, August 31st for the orientation as you will have to present your role, but if you can't come it's okay and we will present for you. But just as team activity and set the precedent it would be great if you can come. Oh yeah I think I want to go through the events and see what we can improve or what we like to give insight as I had a hard time. We will do that over the summer, but if you want feedback sooner, let us know to put it on the agenda to discuss. We all have our opinions about last year's event.

Sarah: We are running out of time, but I don't know if we want to use the spreadsheet I linked where I went through by month and by general category. Do we want to use this to communicate feedback on events or leave it as contacting councilors directly?

Prerna: That's a good idea or just put a note there if you want to discuss an event. One more thing, I want

to make sure we know each other's roles and see how we can support each other's roles throughout the year. But for next year, if you could think of something for event planning, BearsDen or whatever you need, if you can think of something that might help with team building for the next meeting.

Sarah: Other next meeting item, that might be relevant for Sydney and Brooklyn, but we wanted to talk about Faculty involvement and how we want to incorporate in the upcoming year because they felt very excluded this last year. So generate ideas in advance for the next meeting.

Perna: I don't know if we want to include them as mint cup leaders or include them in orientation. Talia, you know the faculty quite a bit, I don't know if you have something.

Talia: Trying to get faculty involved, wouldn't it be cute if you had a faculty get to know you scavenger hunt or bingo card? Go around to look for someone who has been to Japan, has three kids or has a golden retriever. Having sat on the Dean Selection Committee, getting to know faculty, they like to know us on a personal level, they really do.

Cass: 3 truth and a lie faculty edition?

Talia: Yes, something to get to know faculty. Even if they can come to orientation for an brief activity that would be great and I think they would appreciate it.

Perna: Yes students should know their faculty and who they can go to. They have Faculty and APSA orientation. Talia and I and figure out what they are doing in the faculty orientation and try to see if we can do something there so there's no pressure on Brooklyn and Sydney to incorporate them there.

Talia: I'm not sure if we are involved in faculty orientation specifically. I know I volunteered last year because I wanted to and I probably will this year as I enjoy it, but I don't know if we have a role in that.

Perna: We don't but we can meet with faculty to see what they want to do. I will stay in touch with Brooklyn, Sydney and Talia about that. But remember those two things for [the] next meeting about what we can do to help you in your role and faculty involvement.

10. Additions to the Agenda:

- a. **Career Series (Talia) - 1 min:** I just wanted to quickly put out a request for suggestions on guest speakers with unique career paths.

11. Adjournment (8:07 pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Talia **Second:** Cassandra