



APSA Executive Council Meeting
 June 14th, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:01 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Asmaa, Talia, Sydney, Sarah, Jin, Prerna, Goodwin, Brooklyn, Cassandra
 - a. Regrets: Zach
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)

Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Talia **Second:** Jin
4. [Minutes of the last meeting \(1 min\)](#)

Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Brooklyn **Second:** Jin

New Business: *Links are primarily for General Council and Executive Council to Access as these are drafts*

- | | |
|--|---|
| 5. Executive Council: How We Can Support Each Other (Sarah) - 15 mins | 1 |
| 6. Faculty Involvement in APSA Events (Sarah) - 10 mins | 2 |
| 7. APSA Orientation Presentations Schedule (Sydney and Brooklyn) - 15 mins | 3 |
| 8. APSA Business Cards (Sarah) - 5 mins | 4 |
| 9. Updating APSA Website (Sarah) - 10 mins | 4 |
| 10. Pharmacy Graduate Students Association (Sarah) - 10 mins | 5 |

New Business:

5. Executive Council: How We Can Support Each Other (Sarah) - 15 mins

Sarah: So last meeting Prerna mentioned she wanted us to come up with one to two ideas on how we can support one another in our roles as Executive Councilors or anything you have questions about?

Prerna: Does anyone have anything they came up with? It's okay if you didn't because it's more of a working document kind of thing.

Talia: Sure, I will kick it off, two things for me that will be pretty important. First, if there are professionalism issues brewing, I need to know about them. I am not always the best at having my finger on the pulse of what's happening everywhere but we could form diverse enough friend groups that we have a good coverage of the student body as a whole. So if you hear about anything or concerns that people are raising, please bring them up to my attention so that we can nip it in the bud rather than letting them brew and fester into bigger problems. Or if you have suggestions that's really it? The sooner I know about problems then the less of a problem they are later.

Jin: I think similarly to Talia, I am looking for feedback or I think I am lacking in the creative department. So what I am in need of support would be people's ideas, especially those in upper years as I am kind of in my own little bubble so I don't really know that many people who are older. So I would really love

feedback from bigger events we have had because I don't really know anything besides what my friends and I thought.

Goodwin: I think given that there will be a lot of issues that will come up, if you want to include me on something you need finance wise, not even a problem but just hang around. I think that will help in the sense that I have a little bit of support from the finance side so that we can avoid problems happening on the day of the event.

Perna: Yeah, I think finance is just a big part where you need to communicate, especially when the budget is approved or you're having trouble with it. Communicate with Goodwin and me about how much you need or what you are worried about and we can try to get it all sorted out before they do become problems. And just communicate with the people you are planning stuff, especially with VP Social and VP External, because you plan a lot of Movember together. I think some meetings we will just go through events and if Jin needs help or Sydney needs help, then that's exactly what I want you to do. You can get our feedback or ideas and hopefully that will solve issues from last year.

Sarah: So in terms of things you guys can do to support me as VP Admin, building on what I talked about in the previous meeting is just being responsible for responding to calendar invites and submitting semesterly reports or transition documents. If you can't make it or you are a little late, I will try to be flexible in understanding that we have things come up, but please submit documents eventually. If you can just give me notice you will be late, I will be fine with it. The other thing I would like to happen that would be helpful for me is that we get as many events planned. If we can finalize event planning prior to the actual month, I would like to make a nice calendar or infographic for each month to post. Because I'm not sure how many people take a look at the google calendar. Just in general it would also help for me to book rooms and check for open dates for others looking to create events.

6. Faculty Involvement in APSA Events (Sarah) - 10 mins

Sarah: For the next point brought up last meeting, we have the faculty involvement in APSA events. I know the Faculty is trying to rebuild the connections they have had pre-COVID in APSA with attending events and being more involved in the pharmacy student cup events. I know I have brought it up to Dr. Hall that we should combine the Faculty Mentorship with pharmacy student cup Faculty representatives. I don't if Sydney and Brooklyn have had a chance to consider what to do with the faculty role in pharmacy student cup moving forward though.

Sydney: Haven't talked about it yet. But that is something we talk about more in the future.

Cass: I just want to say that last year that for each team we did have a faculty advisor, but they just weren't involved. Someone or Justine suggested to team leaders to invite their advisors to events, but I never did. I don't know if you were aware, so I wanted to make that known first, but there was a disconnect and they were never really involved. One example, one of the things we did previously, one of the trivia nights hosted by CAPSI, there were faculty members who joined that. Or the impossible patient challenge hosted by Justin and VP Social. But having more events like that would be good. I don't know if Justine did let the faculty members know they are on the team, but trying to get the faculty member to attend one of the events to get to know their team members might be good.

Sarah: I think what happened was that neither APSA or the Faculty really communicated with one another until around Winter semester, or that's what I understood. I think Faculty member's were aware they were on the team and anyone who looked at the team lists. But I think its better to have a general email sent by VP Social or I think there was a request for a calendar without the APSA general council meetings that they can add to their calendars. I think having a second calendar might be complicated in my opinion.

Talia: If all we are doing is taking the current APSA calendar and paring it down to remove meetings then all we would have to do is duplicate events over to the faculty calendar and it would be one extra step. So its not as cumbersome as you think it would be. We can always trial run it.

Perna: Yeah that's a good point, I think I will contact faculty whether emails or a calendar but I will talk to Anjela about that.

Cass: What about if your faculty member comes to the event then you get double the points.

Perna: That's a good incentive, but as long as you aren't annoying the faculty.

Cass: Oh that's true. Do faculty sign up or are they randomly put onto a team? But do faculty sign up

Sarah: I think they do, but I am not 100% sure.

Cass: It would be kinda bad to have a Faculty member who is not in it to win it. How does faculty want to interact with us more, is it in the way that we are talking about right now? Or more academically?

Sarah: To my understanding, they want to build relationships with students. One example being TGIF which happened late during Winter semester was their push to reignite that.

Cass: I think we should have more of that. Like maybe once or twice a month.

Prerna: Maybe once a month or twice a semester. Like maybe before finals or after midterms would be nice. Brooklyn and Sydney, I think you guys would be involved with planning that with faculty.

Sarah: I think TGIF we were just told to advertise it and they handled everything, so anyone on executive could handle the advertising but probably Brooklyn and Sydney will be in contact with Student Services regarding events anyway.

Prerna: Okay well I think TGIFs were a good way, but I was also thinking about trying to get Faculty to do something during orientation to get first years building relationships with students. I will see what Jill is saying about orientation and if they want to be involved in the pharmacy student cup if we are still interested in that.

7. [APSA Orientation Presentations Schedule](#) (Sydney and Brooklyn) - 15 mins

Sydney: I don't know if anyone had a chance to look at the mock schedule yet, but keeping everyone's feedback in mind from the last meeting we broke up the presentations into groups. We wanted advice about whether the timing and duration of presentations is sufficient and also if there are other presentations we don't have listed here? Also unsure of what presentations to group together, but if we have three presentations in different lecture halls, which I think is the smallest group we can break it up. Also we were thinking about having lunch in one of the ECHA classrooms we use for lunch and learns because that's a bigger space and maybe having the first presentation with the whole group in one of those classrooms as well instead of MSB.

Goodwin: First thing, I don't know if its a big deal but the Sports Reps usually present at orientation.

Sydney: I don't know there's anything in addition, but I do have intramurals.

Goodwin: Sorry I missed that, but I was thinking of having a short financial section.

Jin: Maybe its just me, but was there a Christian Fellowship meeting during my orientation?

Sydney: That was added this year.

Jin: Are they pharmacy specific?

Sarah: Yes, there were a few groups I added to their list, but these are APSA affiliated student groups that were not advertised last year except maybe PWS so I think we should advertise them all and hopefully they have someone available or just have a slide for us to present. In terms of grouping, I think I would group these groups except maybe the LGBTQ+PhSC and the BPSA.

Goodwin: Just for grouping considerations, have one major then three smaller ones. If you put groups together there might be fatigue with one topic.

Jin: I think we mentioned the last meeting but where are the rooms for presentations just because you only allotted 5 mins between sessions to travel.

Sydney: I don't know yet, but I was thinking ECHA classrooms with those long tables that we use for lunch and learns and then the main session in the bigger ECHA classrooms

Jin: I think those are okay but what about us moving instead of them moving. I don't if we are doing this to avoid them getting fatigued though.

Sydney: That's true, but they might need time to set up their slides and stuff compared to getting students to move.

Prerna: How big are the groups?

Sydney: I will calculate that to make sure there is enough room in the classrooms for everyone.

Goodwin: I wanted to correct myself that I didn't see APSA at the beginning so nevermind about the finance session, I don't think I need a separate one.

Prerna: I was going to ask if you have talked to BPSA and LGBTQ+PhSC groups about setting up booths? Because I think last year they had small presentations and then booths for people to approach them for information over lunch time while everyone was getting pizza. But I think the schedule looks good. Jin's point is a good point to think about if its easier for us to move.

Jin: Another thing I wanted to ask was if the Undergraduate Research Club, is that going to be run by the Research Councilor?

Sarah: I would assume so yes as I think it's his responsibility now.

Jin: Okay, I know Vincent would do it.

Sydney: I just want to ask everyone who will be presenting, will you be okay with presenting three times if we proceed with the schedule like this?

Cass: I think if we do present three times then the third time will be really good. But I think it's a good point that we could switch rooms, but another thing with how Prerna said we could just do booths, then we could just do that if we want to avoid fatigue. But can you explain the schedule?

Sydney: Main thing at the top is where everyone is in one group then people will break up into three groups with 3-4 pharmacy student cup teams (team A, B, C, etc) grouped together to attend the subsequent presentations together. Four total rooms, one at the beginning and 3 breakout rooms.

Cass: I see that there is a break, so maybe they won't get fatigued? But would it be too hard to coordinate them moving rooms?

Sydney: I guess if people presenting moving might make it easier, we could have all the slides together then someone to pull it up might be easier?

Brooklyn: In my opinion, we took your guys' feedback from the last meeting about people getting tired in the same space so that's where we chose to make them move. And also they have their leaders to direct them on where we are going so hopefully it won't be too confusing. And I think it's easier to have presenters set up with their slides.

Prerna: Brooklyn I think that makes sense, if leaders lead the students around that can work well.

Sarah: Just to interject, in regards to the size of the group its about 135 students admitted and about 10 mint cup groups, so whatever that adds up to plus volunteers and leaders.

Sydney: Yes, so two groups have 3 teams and one group has 4 teams in it. Does everyone think we should have a first session in MSB or ECHA to introduce them to the pharmacy area? And then have the hallway for food?

Jin: We just need to plan out how to get everyone queued up and into the classroom.

Sydney: yeah and because we are planning the bingo session during lunch we thought that might be the best space to use. And do we think 30 mins for the smaller presentation sessions is okay?

Jin: I think if you pair it up then it will work out depending on how you pair different presentations together.

Talia: I agree, just don't put all the big, heavy presentations together. I know my presentation might be a bit longer and I want it to be a little interactive. I am working to reduce it.

Sydney: Also last year the presentations started around 9:30, but if we want to make the schedule like this I don't think that will be possible and it will need to start at 9 and check in will be early like 8:45.

Jin: I don't think its too early since classes start at 9.

Talia: Even last year people were showing up an hour early.

Sydney: Okay thanks for the advice everyone, we will keep planning.

8. APSA Business Cards (Sarah) - 5 mins

Sarah: So pre-COVID some APSA councilors had business cards, I wanted to ask if anyone was interested in business cards. I have been given historical instructions on how to do this in my transition document, but likely things have changed so I would have to look into it if some of us are interested in having business cards. Any thoughts or interest on this moving forward?

Jin: I just have a question, how much do we need an external third party that would need an introduction that would require a business card. If we are meeting RxA or ACP we will set up meetings to meet them.

Sarah: Yeah I understand that perspective. I just wanted to double check if there was anyone who thought they might need it?

Cass: How much do they cost?

Sarah: I think it's based on how much you print.

Cass: I think the only thing I could think of for me is reaching out to businesses for the APSA Member Discount card? Then I could just walk around and hand out business cards maybe.

Sarah: I think unfortunately it will take me the summer to make the business cards, so it won't be available

until the start of the semester. I don't know if we need to think of an alternative?

Cass: It's okay, I will probably just email them.

9. [Updating APSA Website](#) (Sarah) - 10 mins

Sarah: So just wanted to let you know that I have asked IT Director and Publication Director if they would be interested in working to update the website over the summer. If anyone has noticed, some changes are already in progress and I have a working checklist document attached to the agenda. I wanted to ask if anyone had specific updates you would like to make to add it to the document, but it will be somewhat up to the IT Director on what can be feasibly implemented or what he wants to do as we gave him the creative freedom with that. Also there are some items I have noted for the IT Director to contact some of you regarding. Our goal is to have the APSA website updated by mid-August, so expect to be contacted before then regarding updates. If anyone would like to inquire about some of the suggestions we currently have listed, we can discuss now.

Jin: Just a little thing about Twitter at the end of the document? Is it about linking Twitter, or having the embedded thing?

Sarah: It's regarding that but it's already there, just the way it appears does not work for everyone depending on the browser/device, if its the point I am thinking about. Or on the other Twitter point, I think it is from the Publication Director. I don't know its design related but I will follow up with him about that. But also, if you plan a large event, if you could write a little blurb about it then paste it into the checklist for the IT Director to decide where to put it. Just so people know and get a sense of what the event is as the images are not always helpful.

Jin: When you pull up the sidebar for the alumni and click alumni nothing pops up.

Sarah: I can make a note about that. But this will be an ongoing document for you to reference. It's under the IT Director's portfolio in the shared google drive for council.

10. Pharmacy Graduate Students Association (Sarah) - 10 mins

Sarah: Last topic, Prerna and I had the opportunity to meet some of the Pharmacy Graduate Student Association representatives over exam break. To me it sounds like they have been more inspired by APSA and have wanted to try to promote more events to interact with the faculty and student body. We were wondering how the executive felt about potentially offering some sort of way to involve them in APSA events? They are their own student group. I know we charge membership, so I'm not sure how to include them from that perspective because we have yet to contact them at all about this.

Cass: That might be fun. Like could they sponsor us and have a booth or something?

Sarah: From what I understand, I think they get funding from the faculty and UAlberta main campus. So I don't they have a lot of income themselves.

Cass: Okay that's true they aren't paying for an APSA membership, so maybe we invite them to things that don't require an APSA membership or events with cost differences maybe we can invite them to that at the regular price.

Goodwin: I don't know if it's an easy thing to get them involved but I know past performers or people running RxFactor are still interested in offering that or reaching out when we have a solid timeline for that. I know production wise some would be interested in providing guidance or support.

Jin: Just regarding what Goodwin said, I don't think that's a bad idea, but I don't think that would be through the Pharmacy Graduate Student Association? Do you mean like alumni or graduate students?

Sarah: So Goodwin is talking about alumni and I am talking about graduate students that are probably doing thesis projects.

Goodwin: My bad.

Jin: It's just hard to envision how they want to be involved with us as not all of them graduated from UAlberta specifically. I'm not against it but I'm not sure in what capacity they can be involved.

Sarah: I guess I want to confirm if we are okay with opening the door to this? Or do we not see any way of this working and we shouldn't try at this point.

Cass: I'm okay with doing this. We could even have collabs, they can plan events or they can plan TGIF. There aren't that many of them right?

Sarah: I'm pretty sure it is.

Jin: I don't know where they want to stand as an association, as I usually see them at career fairs so it's hard to envision them in an event setting with us. I'm okay with opening the door but I would want them to lead the way in what they want to do with us.

Sydney: Like have they discussed what they want to be associated with us? Like the big events like RxFactor and Blue and Gold?

Sarah: I don't know for certain, but I think maybe more in the social events.

Sydney: Okay Brooklyn and I can talk about that as well with the Faculty involvement too.

Sarah: Okay, I guess Prerna or I will contact them about this.

11. Additions to the Agenda:

12. Adjournment (7:51 pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Cassandra **Second:** Talia