



APSA Executive Council Meeting
 July 26th, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:02 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Sarah, Prerna, Talia, Jin, Sydney, Cass, Brooklyn, Goodwin
 - a. Regrets: Zach, Asmaa
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)

Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Jin, **Second:** Cass
4. [Minutes of the last meeting \(1 min\)](#)

Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Jin, **Second:** Cass

New Business Topics

- | | |
|--|---|
| 5. RxFactor Check-In (Jin) - 5 mins | 1 |
| 6. Discussion about Alcohol Licensing for Pharm v Dent (Jin) - 20 mins | 2 |
| 7. Info Session Collab with REDS (CSJ) (Talia) - 10 mins | 3 |
| 8. Incoming Class Facebook (Sarah) - 5 mins | 4 |
| 9. Approval of APSA Affiliated Groups (Sarah) - 10 mins | 4 |
| 10. Student Owned Clothing Seller (Prerna) - 5 mins | 5 |
| 11. RxA Sponsorship Ideas (Prerna) - 10 mins | 6 |

New Business:

5. **RxFactor Check-In (Jin) - 5 mins**

Jin: This is a quick update, if you weren't aware I put the deposit down for the Myer Horowitz Theatre on November 18th, 2023 for RxFactor, so please save the date to come. And just to bring it up again, but if you have any suggestions for theming, I am thinking that Barbie or Barbenheimer might be a popular costume theme this year, but otherwise you can message me.

Cass: I think that's the weekend after reading week so I don't know if that's a long weekend?

Jin: We have the Remembrance weekend before off, Nov 11-14th. With one day before and maybe a day after that weekend.

Prerna: We usually don't have that weekend off, we usually get Nov 11th weekend off. Did they say anything about construction?

Jin: Before I put down deposit, I asked again about when it would be ready they said mid-October.

Perna: Did they give you a back up?

Jin: No, the other person challenged Dinwoodie and they went through with the full contract, but if it didn't go through then we will put down a deposit for that as well.

Perna: All good, I hope it's done by October then otherwise we will move the venue elsewhere.

Sarah: Sorry one last question, do we have a confirmed time for the event to put on the calendar or is it tentative?

Jin: So not for the actual event but the rental is 12pm to 11pm, but I am looking to extend this.

Perna: If you try to do rehearsals then you should try to book it earlier. We started at 10 am last year and it still wasn't enough time.

6. Discussion about Alcohol Licensing for Pharm v Dent (Jin) - 20 mins

Jin: I heard feedback about the Pharm v Dent game that attendees wanted alcohol to be available during the event. Perna told me it had been an issue last year to get that going so I wanted to get it done early. I started the conversation a while back, but they told me that we previously did get alcohol through Athletics. They are reconsidering as we are the second largest event held there with alcohol that is not student union business like Dinwoodie or theater so it would fall under the university's insurance. However, because it is a very large event, the university is not willing to allow us to operate with alcohol running during the event under their insurance due to liability even with Athletics involved handling insurance. So the options are, we either don't do alcohol or do alcohol under our own insurance which involves a lot of steps which I should start planning now. Steps would include time to pause university insurance and start our own insurance for the event, professional staff not just students with ProServe, we need to follow liquor rules of Alberta including 3 substantial food items likely needing catering and Increased security with 2 guards at each entrance and one roaming for every 50 attendees. There's a lot more too. Do we want alcohol at the event with these requirements?

Goodwin: I wasn't aware but do you know if we made a preliminary plan would BearsDen (SGS) approve it? All the plans you've made are for the Alberta laws but are they also entirely relevant to UAlberta guidelines?

Jin: Not necessarily, but security yes. But they are not sure if they would approve. If we didn't offer alcohol my alternative would be to offer a drink ticket to an after party to allow people to get a drink just after. They had a meeting yesterday with stakeholders and lawyers, but I haven't heard back yet regarding if we did all these steps would we get approval. Then I asked if it was smaller, are we allowed to run the event under them, but they have only seen events of 100-200 people maximum for it to go under their insurance. So I don't think we want to limit attendance to a charity event?

Cass: It seems like a lot of work that isn't worth it. If people really want alcohol then they can either drink before or after. All the work and cost isn't worth it as the money should be focused to charity.

Talia: Echoing the same sentiment, it's way too much effort for people to have a beer.

Goodwin: From a cost angle, we put out a lot up front then we have to increase the cost. Just to confirm, it's through Athletics, Clare Drake is not licensed?

Perna: They have a license but they don't want it under their insurance due to liability.

Goodwin: May I ask why we need professional bartenders?

Jin: I don't know if I asked why directly and but they noted the minimum requirements was beyond having students with ProServe training based on their guidelines.

Goodwin: One thing is if we can get a sponsorship to support it then we could do it, but we would need an organization to provide the liquor and enough funds to cover costs. But it depends on if we want to put the effort into finding a sponsor.

Jin: It's hard to say since Asmaa is not here, but the cost is what is holding me back, just with security then with catering and bartending on top of it and I'm not sure if we need a food certification for that. But if we can find a sponsor to cover the cost, I would be willing to do that.

Cass: What qualifies as a professional bartender?

Jin: I don't know but they can't be a student from our organization at least from what they told me.

Perna: Jin do you need a decision right now?

Jin: We don't have to, I just wanted to bring it up now then we can make a solid decision later, just the process will take some time so I want to know sooner rather than later.

Perna: I think it will be around April 1st which is a lot of work with finals around then. What comes to mind is that with alcohol, it could get competitive, and I think pros outweigh cons.

Jin: I agree but if more information about the process comes out and it gets easier I will let you know more to make a decision based on that. They did say that anyone competing will not be allowed to have alcohol at all.

Cass: I wonder, is APSA's job to do all planning alone or does Dent help as well? What if we delegate some roles to them for planning.

Jin: As far as I have been told, we are the primary planners for this event.

Perna: I think because it came right after COVID, APSA took responsibility to plan this event. But I will help you discuss with Dent about collaborating more this year and see what they want to do.

Motion: To move into camera

First: Talia, **Second:** Jin

Motion: To move out of camera

First: Talia, **Second:** Jin

7. **Info Session Collab with REDS (CSJ) (Talia) - 10 mins**

Talia: This was something brought up late last year, but we were contacted by a student club called REDS on Campus Saint Jean. A group associated with students looking to get into health related fields or already in a program. They were looking to have Pharmacy students come to give a presentation. I met the President to come up with key points, but they wanted an overview on the application progress with advice and what the program looks for as well as why to pick pharmacy. It would be held at Saint Jean and they would coordinate the room booking. The hope is hosting it before October 1st when applications open, but I was thinking the week of September 18th to give us enough time to settle in then another week before applications open either Monday, Thursday or Friday around 5:30pm to avoid 2nd and 3rd year labs as we won't likely have 1st years involved in this. Scheduling 90 minutes total with presentation of 30 minutes, with question time and mingling. It would be nice to have people from the campus volunteering for this event so if you know someone let me know. If not, then anybody will work as it will be in English anyway since the program is in English. I will contact Trent for a budget for snacks, any pharmacy swag or any resources to bring. In an ideal world it would not be me hosting if we have volunteers, but worst case I am willing to lead it.

Jin: One thing you might want to ask is about CSJ transfer credit to PharmD application and checking with faculty about if they will transfer. Also, I would be open to doing it as Yeganeh and I are doing a presentation for residents at the end of August.

Talia: That would be great. I think for the most part courses get transferred as they are virtually the same and some they have to take on main campus anyway, but it's a good point to bring up.

Goodwin: Main point I want to make, can this just be a Faculty of Pharmacy run event that brings in student volunteers rather than an APSA event as it sounds like an open house type event, but it's definitely a good event. Have they or you considered asking Student Services this? But this avoids cost and BearsDen submission. Last thing, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in September will be loaded with student events so try to avoid that for attendance purposes.

Talia: Noted, I can look at maybe a Monday then. Trent is actually the one who put me in contact with it as he was willing to help with booking to avoid BearsDen. I don't think there's a major budget concern, but more or less what you discussed was my plan. I don't know if I will pass it off to the faculty entirely if I can use their resources and also include APSA's name on it.

Cass: I just wanted to mention that if you have difficulty recruiting then you can put credit under community education as an incentive.

Talia: Yes I can touch base with Hadeel on it.

Sarah: So I don't think Trent was aware of this in the constitution, so he forwarded it to who he thought was appropriate. I think it's under VP External for planning a general info session from Campus Saint Jean session, but I believe you said it's a specific student group who contacted Trent about this?

Talia: Yes, a specific student group.

Sarah: Okay, so you could work with Jin potentially to do this session with that group or consider broadening it to the entire campus with them advertising it. I don't know if Jin was familiar with the role as I believe it was a new addition to the constitution.

Jin: I was not aware of this, thank you for bringing it up.

Perna: That has been on the backburner, so that's okay, Jin. It's new, but the whole point of adding that was to get the word to Campus Saint Jean, so you're already kind of doing that with Yeganeh and its fine if Talia does this with the student group. If you want in though, you're welcome to help, Jin. Sarah has a point, but it does not have to be formally with Campus Saint Jean, it's fine on my end. This summer there was a lot of talk about people coming from different campuses, but to get this running ask for help when you need it. I can also look for anyone else from Campus Saint Jean.

Talia: I know one in second year and one in our year that I know of. But the plan is to recruit via Facebook.

8. **Incoming Class Facebook (Sarah) - 5 mins**

Sarah: In preparation for the incoming Class of 2027, I wanted to ask if any execs wanted to initially be in the Class of 2027 Facebook group as I recently checked in with Gauhar? You will have to leave the Facebook Group once the Class Rep and Social Rep have been elected.

Jin: I would like to be in the group to post about RxFactor nominations.

Sydney: You can put me in the group so I can post about events initially.

Perna: I assume I am automatically added.

Sarah: Cass, did you want to be added since you will be handling Mentorship?

Cass: Yes, please.

Sarah: Okay I think that's everything for this and I will pass it onto Gauhar, thanks.

9. **Approval of APSA Affiliated Groups (Sarah) - 10 mins**

Sarah: So I have received four applications for student groups to present at Student Orientation, the only ones who did not respond with their re-application are PSF and PWS. So we can go through each of the groups applications one by one and discuss, then to make it easy we can have one motion at the very end for all groups we approve of. We can take a few minutes to look over the applications if you have not had a chance to yet.

Prerna: Don't look at numbers right now because we still need to do the budget. But Sarah, what was the plan? Are we voting or are we making a motion?

Sarah: Well the idea was discussed if we had any issues with their plans, but since we don't have the budget we can't fully approve their proposed budgets. Does anyone have a concern with their description or events?

Prerna: Yeah I think they are all generally rational.

Motion: To approve all the applying APSA affiliated groups student groups applications (Pharmacy Students for Mental Health, Pharmacy Undergraduate Journal Club, LGBTQ+PhSC and Pharmacy Christian Fellowship) to present at Orientation for Class of 2027, with a conversation about budget at a later time.

First: Cass, **Second:** Talia

All in favor

None opposed

President abstains

Prerna: Budget I don't want to approve anything without our own budget complete and it's a lot of money some groups are asking for.

Goodwin: I would imagine you will be updating the groups shortly, but whoever passed on the leadership role told them but since they are under APSA, they are under a lot more scrutiny since they are using APSA's fund unlike Grad would set their own budget. When their money runs out, it's out. And we will scrutinize all the transactions they make in the name of their student group. Since they are using APSA funds, they are under a lot more scrutiny for spending and what they are using it for. Even if we approve these budgets, they do not have access to all these funds, but I will have to follow up with them about that.

Sarah: yeah so I will CC you on that email.

10. **Student Owned Clothing Seller (Prerna) - 5 mins**

Prerna: An individual student contacted me with their Etsy business for shirts and pins using the same shirt as Grad and PDW brand shirts. They were wanting to see if we wanted to work with them for the year to get merch. Sarah and I discussed this a little, but I wanted to get your opinion on it.

Goodwin: Finance wise, it's not that we have been burned by a partnership, unless there is a sponsorship there is no APSA stance on who we work with. I don't see any reason in our constitution and other rules that we vote on these types of things. As such it will be a case by case basis, handed off to relevant people to talk to the seller about it. But there is not really a stance or statement executives can make.

Sydney: Are you saying they will help make the designs?

Prerna: I think it will be helping make the items, not the designs.

Talia: I would have to see a lot more to make a judgment, but at this point of time I agree with Goodwin.

Sarah: Just to summarize what Prerna and I talked about, as Goodwin was saying, we pass their contact info to relevant councilors, for example CAPSI for PAM pins and PDW shirts, Grad as I believe their main income is from clothing sales, and then if you look at the images on the website there are orientation leader shirts. I'm not sure if that's something we want to look into as a trial run with the person. Initially, Prerna was talking about releasing this information to all of the council and I told her we probably shouldn't in case we have too many sales that decrease income from clothing sales.

Sydney: I was wondering about everyone's thoughts for orientation leader shirts? I sent out the form this morning and most people want to be general orientation volunteers, so maybe this could be an incentive to be an orientation leader? I know looking back on the Facebook page, previous years collaborated with

the Grad committee to sell the t-shirts to other people later. So what are the thoughts and do we have the money in the budget?

Goodwin: How much per shirt? If there's about 10 teams and 2 leaders per team.

Sydney: Do we want shirts for presenters and the exec team too?

Goodwin: I think that would be a separate budget item that wouldn't fall under VP Socials budget at that point.

Prerna: Okay if we have the budget we can do it, but make sure Sydney you don't post about it until it's confirmed.

Sarah: I assume you will follow up with her regarding the costs and information?

Prerna: Yeah, maybe have a meeting.

Goodwin: Invite me to that meeting please.

11. **RxA Sponsorship Ideas (Prerna) - 10 mins**

Prerna: Ali from RxA emailed me to ask what we want from them? And Asmaa is not here to discuss via VP Fundraising perspective. I know you don't have a lot of context but they want to restructure the budget and see what makes sense to be productive for them to get their message out. I just wanted to get some ideas because we are still working on sponsorship packages. I think it would be most productive to have them as a sponsor at RxFactor for students to talk to them and see them in a fun environment, whether Blue and gold or RxFactor. But they want to get us interested in advocating for the profession. I think it was good for them to be at RxA and I told them it was good to see them in a fun environment. Is there one event that we could see them in? I will share with them the excel sheet of last year's events and go from there.

Goodwin: Did they express any specific strategy they want to reach out to students? I'm just a little confused about what their goal is.

Motion: To move into camera

First: Goodwin, **Second:** Cass

Motion: To move out of camera

First: Jin, **Second:** Cass

12. Additions to the Agenda: None

13. Adjournment (8:08 pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Cass, **Second:** Jin