



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
July 12th, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:02 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Cassandra, Sarah, Prerna, Sydney, Jin, Zach, Talia
  - a. Regrets: Brooklyn, Goodwin, Asmaa
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)

**Motion:** To approve the agenda  
First: Cass, Second: Zach
4. [Minutes of the last meeting \(1 min\)](#)

**Motion:** To approve the previous meeting minutes  
First: Cass, Second: Jin

#### New Business Overview

- |  |   |
|--|---|
| 5. Emails Moving Forward (Prerna) - 10 mins                      | 1 |
| 6. GFC Representative (Prerna) - 10 mins                         | 1 |
| 7. CoFA Member Services Meeting (Cass) - 15 mins                 | 2 |
| 8. Defining Benefits of APSA Membership (Sarah) - remaining time | 4 |

#### New Business:

5. **Emails Moving Forward (Prerna) - 10 mins**

**Prerna:** I don't know if you all saw my message, but we are having issues logging into some APSA gmail accounts. This is applicable to anyone who had a CCID for your APSA email. I have been in contact with IT, but they will be extending access to email accounts until July 31st to transfer to a private gmail account or merge to Goodwin's VP finance gmail account as it will be the main one moving forward. They have emailed information on resetting all the accounts' passwords, I will be renewing them tomorrow then I will contact you with the new password. We need this to happen to start reimbursements, but it will be coming very soon.
6. **GFC Representative (Prerna) - 10 mins**

**Prerna:** In terms of GFC, so Cass you were on the CoFA Member Services committee?  
**Cass:** Yes, I am.  
**Prerna:** For everyone's information there are three CoFA committees: advocacy, finance and administration, and student services. Jin, are you taking over all three of them right now?

**Jin:** So I checked the meeting minutes and it looks like Cass already attended the Member Services one and then it didn't make sense that finance would be under me in the constitution, so I contacted Goodwin and he was fine with taking over that CoFA group as it made more sense. But I will probably bring it up for a constitution change, but right now I am attending the advocacy group.

**Prerna:** The whole point of this conversation is that we have these three people attending these meetings, but if they can't make it, then we need back ups. This year UASU wants to be more involved with student groups, and I think they can do a lot for us with faculty and tuition as well as questions that students have, so I want someone to be there if no one can make it. I was going to make a message in the group chat and if someone can attend then fantastic then if no one can attend it, I would take it on as my responsibility if I have time.

**Sarah:** If we are filling in for people, then are there publicly available meeting minutes that we will have access to [in order to] get up to speed. Just because if we are going into these meetings with absolutely no idea what has been happening then it might be difficult to understand what we should be doing.

**Jin:** I haven't had a chance to attend the meetings yet because you attended the general one, Cass attended the member service one, and Goodwin is not aware of any contact. But I can take meeting minutes or ask the chair of the members for the minutes.

**Prerna:** I will ask UASU reps about it.

**Cass:** I did talk to Mankirat about it as she was being forwarded the invitations, likely because they saw her contact information on the website. But someone is taking meeting minutes and it is being sent out after the meetings, but we can just forward it if we can't attend.

**Prerna:** Okay, but if they aren't taking meeting minutes then take notes yourself about it. Right now though, Jin, Cass and Goodwin are appointed to be sitting on these committees. And if you can't attend, communicate to us to get someone to attend and if no one else can then I will try to attend. Another point for GFC representatives, but a meeting with UASU. We currently don't have the GFC representative or SU representative position filled. We don't have GFC or SU Representative happening, but bi-elections are in October for these positions.

**Motion:** To move in camera

First: Talia, Second: Cass

**Motion:** To move out of camera

First: Zach, Second: Jin

#### 7. **CoFA Member Services Meeting (Cass) - 15 mins**

**Cass:** Alright so, as I mentioned before I attended the CoFA Member Services meeting and there are some topics they discussed that I wanted to get your opinion on. For the clean air strategy, they wanted to ban recreational smoking (no ceremonial smoking), [and] they were going to initiate before COVID then it was delayed.

**Jin:** I think this overlaps with the general committee where it was also discussed, but does our building have any designated smoking areas?

**Talia:** Yes, we do, it's straight down the stairs between the two main lecture halls and there's a smoking area by the courtyard at the bottom of those stairs.

**Cass:** Okay, but even if we have a designated smoking area, they want to ban all recreational smoking in general on campus.

**Jin:** I don't think that smoking area is near one of the entrances anyone uses, and I think that's probably why they put it there. I haven't ever seen anyone smoking, so to me it isn't as big of an issue with random smoking out of designated areas. But to me I think it's more harm than good [in] banning all smoking.

**Talia:** I would agree with that point, but it affects staff and if they can't smoke where do they go? Not to condone smoking, but it's a bigger issue than clean air strategies. If the issue is people smoking outside the designated areas or people are mad about smoking in general[,] that's a bigger conversation than banning smoking outright.

**Cass:** That makes sense, those are all good points that I will bring up, but like you guys said, we haven't seen that many people smoking. I guess it doesn't have an impact [on] everyone who doesn't smoke, but would affect all people who smoke.

**Perna:** People will then find other places to smoke, so it's better to have a designated area.

**Cass:** If they ban it, then they will just move somewhere else to have a smoke potentially in dangerous areas. But my next point is about Edmonton Elk ticket sales, but the team has reached out to UAlberta, but they wanted to host a campus clash event on Friday September 22nd and tickets will be sold to student groups for \$15 each and every \$2 goes back to the student groups. I just thought it might be a good event for back to school and there will be students in other programs. I wanted your opinion before saying we are interested. In the meeting, we talked about how tickets were more expensive than \$15, so students would be getting a steal on this price.

**Jin:** Not to dissuade, but when I was a part of the campus newspaper, we advertised an Edmonton Elk game and also said students could watch the Golden Bears play for free and no one came.

**Cass:** I guess football might have different interests than hockey, but even if it's only 30 people then we would make \$60 back on it. And it's just nice even if not many people attend.

**Talia:** If it costs us nothing to participate and we get something out of it so I see no real downside to this.

**Sydney:** I think it's a good idea and people will talk to their friend groups about going.

**Cass:** Maybe if people see the Elk thing and they are not part of a student group or a professional group you probably won't go by yourself. But I think pharmacy is more close knit so maybe people will want to go when they start hearing other people are going.

**Jin:** Yeah I don't think it's a bad idea, I was just saying that I don't know how many people will come.

**Perna:** I think it's how we advertise it and hype it up to students as it will probably be mainly word of mouth. Even the hockey game that was \$140-150 for a ticket, we still had 25-40 people show up and it was a good turnout despite issues with seating.

**Cass:** Okay I will go ahead with this. And the new locker proposal, but someone elected in, but wanted to make booking lockers more seamless. The person was talking about how NAIT and MacEwan have one website for the whole campus to rent a locker. Right now, it is building dependent and you need to contact whoever is in general. This person wants to transition to a central system to rent lockers. I'm a little torn about this as there are some benefits, such as immediately getting your locker combo and you get to choose your locker. Right now, it's first come, first served for the locker order based on payment order. But to pharmacy students, the location is not as important as we only have one hallway we would want lockers. In addition there is a fee of \$250 per month divided between all the student groups involved dependent on the number of lockers contributed.

**Jin:** When I read the meeting minutes, it's not applicable to us specifically as our locker system is okay. But also it's a benefit of being an APSA member. So we pay for every locker in that hallway and we don't use them all anyway. I think lockers generate a bit of revenue for us too though.

**Talia:** Just to pile on, I think it's a fantastic idea for everyone else, but makes zero sense for us. We have to make sure people don't buy lockers in our area as they don't have card key access. And it is a major revenue source for APSA. For us, it's centralized and not super clunky, but I understand for students in

other faculties who move between buildings, it makes sense and is beneficial for them, but I don't see [how] that translates to us.

**Perna:** Is anyone super interested in pursuing this? I also agree with everyone who spoke and the key card access will be an issue and makes a lot more issue for you. I don't think it's a bad thing that we have to change as long as you are okay with handling it, Cass. I don't think we need to embed it into our system.

#### 8. **Defining Benefits of APSA Membership (Sarah) - remaining time**

**Sarah:** Returning to the conversation about benefits, last meeting I brought of different topics relevant to whoever was present at the meeting and there are some points tonight I would also like to clarify, but moving forward I want to focus on the angle that we are trying to sell memberships to incoming first years and advertising benefits to them as a graphic. The points such as with the giveaway that are more specific I would probably continue at a meeting we have all of us or as they come up. But one thing I wanted to clarify regarding APSA affiliated student groups, such as LBGTQ+, Pharmacy Students for Mental Health or Pharmacy Undergraduate Journal Club, I want to confirm that we are okay with the rules of anyone can participate in the group, but in order to create/lead on you must be an APSA member? I would not advertise this to incoming students, but if they inquired I would be double checking that.

**Jin:** Regarding journal club, is it only going to be the research councilor leading that?

**Sarah:** Application asks you to describe your groups goals and designate leader figures whether it's multiple or one leader. I should have linked it or released the application, but I have been waiting to prevent spam to the 4th years who I have not removed from APSA Member's Corner as well as give time for Goodwin to start catching up on the budget. My goal is to release the application soon by the end of the month or early August. But the research councilor can apply through this application and if he needs to use some councilors as members he could as this group is technically his responsibility so there shouldn't be issues with him applying.

**Perna:** How do we feel about APSA exclusive criteria for creating groups?

**Jin:** I don't feel bad as they are getting stuff funded from us like pizzas or prizes, but it stills leaves it open to non-members to get these prizes.

**Perna:** Are all the BPSA and LBGTQ+PhSC APSA members?

**Sarah:** I don't know, I could pull up the rosters for the application, I am aware of students in other groups that are not APSA members, but not leading groups, just participating. Just to clarify, BPSA is its own student group not affiliated with APSA.

**Perna:** I just don't want people to feel deterred from starting a group.

**Cass:** I was wondering, couldn't you just start a club through the main campus and not have to pay for APSA membership fees.

**Jin:** I think it's about access to funding because you could just go to BearsDen to start your own club. If they don't want to be an APSA member there are ways to work around it.

**Sydney:** I agree with what everyone said.

**Zach:** I also agree that I am more concerned about funding, but there are ways to start your own group outside of APSA.

**Sarah:** In terms of things we are advertising to First Years, I have Lunch and Learns, Blacklisted Events/networking events (ex. Independent Night and CSHP event), Intramurals, APSA Member Pricing for Events, Lockers, APSA Awards, APSA Committees and running for an APSA Council position. And also CAPSI, but likely Zach would advertise that.

**Cass:** I was wondering about CAPSI competitions and RxFactor, do you have to be a CAPSI member or APSA member to do those?

**Zach:** I assume to enter you need to be because in order to receive the reward you have to be a CAPSI member to get it. But for compounding, if you have a non-member you might be able to participate as its 4 people needed, but you would not be able to get the prize and attend PDW I think.

**Cass:** Okay that's something we should advertise to students as some perks with CAPSI.

**Sarah:** Also with competition, do we pay admission and flights or just one of the two?

**Zach:** I know you're guaranteed a spot and there are different amounts of prize money depending on the competition as this year it will be hard since it's in Toronto, we only get 14 seats outside of the competition winners.

**Sarah:** So I will probably let you talk about the benefit of CAPSI at orientation, Zach, but I might just mention it when talking about general benefits of APSA.

**Zach:** That's how I planned it.

**Prerna:** And side note for Jin, for RxFactor if you want groups to perform as some people are more willing to perform in groups, I recommend collaborating with Zach about how the prize will be split. Usually there is only one contestant that wins RxFactor and I don't think it would be fair to give seats outside of the competition designated seats to members of the RxFactor groups if there were like 6 people.

**Sarah:** Okay I think that is everything for now to make a visual.

**Prerna:** For the next meeting, think about the events you have done so far and whether they were APSA members or not.

**Sarah:** I just don't think it was ever clearly advertised as APSA member [exclusive] or not.

**Prerna:** I think it's something we need to work on whether people actually follow it or not, but just so people can understand its APSA funded.

**Cass:** I think the big reason is that we only posted to APSA Member's Corner so only APSA members would know and they would check who signed up.

**Sarah:** I think the issue is that our avenue for advertising is only APSA Member's Corner and Class Representatives, but then it's up to the Class Representative whether they want to include it on weekly newsletters. So it makes it a bit difficult, but I'm not sure what's the best way to fix this.

**Prerna:** The focus on memberships should be the First Years as everyone else has already decided whether to get a membership. I don't want to force anyone to buy the membership as it's expensive, but I want it to be worth it for people and it's our job to show the value.

**Sydney:** Where do we keep all the pictures from past events? Should we include that in the slides?

**Sarah:** So Nick, the Publications Director, is in charge of photographers so he should know where they all are as he was also looking at finding photos for the website. But also Drayden would probably know too.

**Prerna:** I think we just need to be clear about the value of APSA memberships.

**Sarah:** Yeah, it can be a bit difficult as Pharmacy Student Cup is open to everyone, but then there's APSA membership and it can get a bit confusing.

9. Additions to the Agenda: None

10. Adjournment (8:02 pm)

**Motion:** To adjourn

**First:** Sydney, **Second:** Jin