



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
August 8th, 2022 @7:30pm, online via Google Meets

1. **Call to order (7:33pm)**
2. **Roll call (2 min):** Julia, Alyna, Bojana, Prerna, Talia, Jasmine
  - a. Regrets: Tamara, Mankirat, Justine
3. **Additions to the agenda (1 min)**

*Motion:* To approve the agenda  
*First: Talia Second: Jasmine*
4. **Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)**

*Motion:* To approve the previous meeting minutes  
*First: Julia Second: Prerna*

**New Business:**

1. **November Planning - Prerna (15 mins)**

**Prerna:** We have our annual dent-pharm hockey game coming up and the date is finalized for sometime in November. We are also trying to keep a date out for Rx Factor for the end of November, tentatively November 19th. The game is mostly planned as of right now but we need to coordinate with dentistry and see what their schedule is to get a specific date that works with them, they are supposed to have an answer soon about when they're free and dates that would correspond with both of our faculties reading weeks.

**Julia:** Sorry, I just thought of this right now but are they going to help us with the costs of the game?

**Prerna:** They normally give \$1000 but I still need to talk to them, I am assuming they would help chip in though. But, we are hosting the event and we haven't had one in so long, I don't want to just ask them for money. I was planning on trying to plan it on our end and then asking them how they are able or are going to contribute. Historically, alumni have given us most of the money anyways so I am hopeful that they will be this year too. Also, there's going to be no food or alcohol so it should be less money than normal. Also, for Rx Factor I have a tentative date for Saturday, November 19th so keep that in mind. We're still figuring it out and I don't want to put down a safety deposit yet but based on venue availability and our midterm schedule that is the date I am leaning forward with the most. The one thing I am worried about is not getting contestants. Jazzi, how was your experience with this last year? I was thinking maybe we could have an incentive for people to win if they sign up?

**Jasmine:** To be honest the first years were hard because they don't know what Rx Factor is, but the rest of the years nominate people themselves so that wasn't bad at all. And in terms of incentive do you mean like prize money?

**Perna:** Hm okay good to know, and we're not sure yet it was just something I was discussing with a few people to try to increase and encourage engagement.

**Alyna:** Don't the winners already win something though, I thought that they normally get a free trip to PDW? Would we do a prize money in addition to this?

**Julia:** The PDW reward comes from the Faculty and I haven't negotiated the budget with them yet so they may be giving us less money than years prior. What I am trying to say is that we shouldn't guarantee the PDW prize until I get it in writing.

**Perna:** It would be something in addition to thank the participants for their engagement but it was just an idea that I am still trying to figure out right now. Also, I more so wanted to talk about an after party which I also need to discuss with Justine. The only people who got back to me was Central Social Hall and they are willing to let us reserve the restaurant portion of Central because the other portion is too expensive if we are just doing it off of tickets. The restaurant portion will also be more inclusive to everyone as it's not just a bar and people can sit down and have a meal there, if they are interested. They also said that they can do drink tickets and we can make our own guest list. I am also looking at other options right now too. I also know that during Halloween weekend, Unveiloween normally happens and Justine did tell me that she was planning a Halloween party and I wanted to get your opinion on that. Maybe I am just lame but I don't think I would want to go out 2 days in a row. I was thinking we could just combine these 2 events so we don't have both the Friday and Saturday busy with 2 different events but what do you all think?

**Bojana:** I feel like if it is right after midterms, a lot of people would come out to both events, especially those in first year. I feel like every year would want to come out to both events, personally. I don't know if having both events in one night would take away from them, however, I am not VP External or VP Social so whatever you both think is best works with me.

**Talia:** I think that having it on the same day would be the way to go. People have work and other schedules and if we do it together we would get more people to turn up than if we separated them. Personally, I would need to pick one or the other as I work on the weekends as well and I think that if they are both on one day it is much easier to prioritize.

**Alyna:** Yeah, I kind of agree with having them on the same day as well because I know after midterms I am always so exhausted and the thought of going out all weekend sounds super tiring. Plus I also work on the weekends and I know a lot of other people do as well.

**Perna:** Yeah I was thinking that we can do unveiloween at any point of the night if we are already going out anyways and it could easily fit into the schedule. I will talk to Justine about it and will let you all know, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

**Alyna:** Also I just want to bring up the whole inclusivity thing again because even if we do have it in the restaurant portion of central, I feel like some students would still feel uncomfortable with it being held in a club/bar setting. Just something to keep in mind though, because I want everyone to feel welcome.

**Perna:** Yes of course, thanks for bringing that up. When I talked to Justine last, she was thinking of booking a hall and playing games then us going to Central later on in the night but I will definitely talk to her about that as well. That's all the updates I have, so if no one has any other comments we can go to the next part of the meeting.

## 2. VP Finance Updates - Julia (30 mins)

**Julia:** I was just asking Bojana if it was okay to set aside an executive council meeting to go over the budget proposal. I am going over it and then thinking of getting the other portfolios who would be affected by the changes to write their own thoughts in a separate document. I just really want to get the budget done and make sure everyone has enough money. It might be a long process but I think that getting the councilors to write about how they feel about the budget changes in regards to their position and then getting it approved by the executive council would ensure that we are all on the same page, money-wise. How do you feel about that?

**Bojana:** I wanna get Prerna and Jazzi's opinion on this because you both take up a big chunk of the budget.

**Prerna:** I am okay with that.

**Jasmine:** Me too.

**Bojana:** Julia, have you had your meeting with Jazzi yet?

**Julia:** I haven't had a chance to, unfortunately, but there is a lot we have to discuss with CAPSI. Also, I want the councilors to write it down because if it is documented then whoever is unable to attend this meeting will have the document for future reference and they can easily understand how the decision came to be.

**Bojana:** I would offer to have a meeting with Jazzi but I can't bring in the VP Finance perspective. If you, Jazzi, and I had a meeting we would be able to discuss and get all 3 of our perspectives on the CAPSI budget issues. In terms of this budget meeting, we would 100% need to find a time to accommodate Jazzi, Prerna, Justine, and Tamara. Not to exclude anyone, but the councilors whose roles have the largest impact on our budget need to be there. VP Administration and Fundraising don't really have a budget and because time is of the essence now, I think we may need to prioritize certain people.

**Julia:** I really want the perspective of all the councilors though, the ones that are impacted matter of course but all of the executives will need to vote on this so I think it's important that they are all there.

**Bojana:** I hear what you're saying but this just has to be done this week and I am not sure if we would be able to find a time that works with everyone's schedules. I would want all the executives there as well but I think we may need to pick and choose the proposals that need to be looked at ASAP. For example, CAPSI and the sports representatives portfolios both need to be finalized prior to September for intramurals and the CAPSI national fees and are both quite urgent.

**Julia:** Okay, yeah I see your perspective.

**Bojana:** Jazzi and Prerna what do your schedules look like this week?

**Prerna:** Monday, I work 12-8, Wednesday I work 2-10 but I am off on Thursday.

**Jasmine:** I teach piano a couple times this week but I should be able to make Monday evening work.

**Talia:** I work until 10pm on Monday.

**Bojana:** If someone has to miss a couple of hours, I think that is okay so if Monday works but Talia will just come later, we just have Justine, Mankirat, and Tamara to confirm with. I am going to write something in the chat right now.

**Alyna:** I won't be able to attend a meeting next week because I'll be out of town but do you think making a Doodle Poll would be easier to find a time that works with everyone?

**Bojana:** I totally understand what you're saying, Alyna, just think that this will be a bit quicker if we need to plan something for next week. Also no worries about missing the meeting, enjoy London. I'll put a message in the chat right now and then as soon as Tamara, Mankirat, and Justine reply with their availability, we can schedule something.

**Julia:** Sounds good, Talia, do you wanna talk about our fundraising stuff super quickly?

**Talia:** Sure, so Julia and I are in the process of creating sponsorship and fundraising packages to send to our traditional sponsors. However, we are doing it differently this year because we are giving x amount of money for the incentives and we are trying to tie things to events. I did send out emails today asking for event descriptions, we did create packages for the smaller events because we want to make sure we have enough event descriptions to show them, rather than being super vague. I am hoping to get those done by the end of the week so I can get working on it. I will run it by everyone before sending them too of course. Also, if anyone has any ideas for people that we can reach out to, connections they may have, or people you know tangentially, then let me know and I can see what I can do with that information.

**Julia:** Yeah, we want to look at the sponsorships as income and take advantage of other companies' desires to connect with us as a student group.

**Bojana:** Have you talked to Prerna about the hockey game yet? Sorry, that was also a super underwhelming response and I absolutely love this idea. Julia, had already mentioned it to me quickly but I don't want it to seem like I am undermining your hard work.

**Talia:** Not yet, this is the first I am hearing about it, to be honest.

**Bojana:** Sorry this is directed to Julia. I know we were talking about where money goes and the hockey game might be a good way to get sponsorships from people or sporting companies. Have you had a chance to discuss this with Prerna yet?

**Julia:** No, not yet.

**Prerna:** On my end, alumni are the people we have asked traditionally but I can bring it up with Goodwin and Sydney to see what they say.

**Talia:** Oh also, a couple of caveats to bring up if the graduation committee says that they want someone to sponsor the grad committee banquet, not all of that money should go to APSA and the graduation committee should be given some of it. There needs to be accountability and a paper trail and they should have free reign over their money. However, if APSA does get them their sponsorship, I think that it is okay for us to take a small portion but we would need to have further discussions about this. When it comes to events such as Rx Factor which is for charity, I think that the money should come to APSA to cover our own cost of putting on the event but anything above and beyond our expense should go directly to the charity or be split up. That is just an ethical thing for me. We are not earning money off the graduating classes backs, but if we did find them a sponsorship I think we can take a small portion of that. What we do and where we go with this is subject to further discussion about sponsorships.

**Bojana:** Those are great ideas, Talia- maybe we can readdress them at the next budget meeting to give you some more time to work on the packages?

**Talia:** Sounds good.

### **3. Additions to the Agenda:**

4. Adjournment (8:14pm)

*Motion:* To adjourn

First: Julia Second: Talia