



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
July 25th, 2022 @7:30pm, online via Google Meets

1. **Call to order (7:34pm):** Alyna, Julia, Jasmine, Mankirat, Talia, Bojana, Justine
2. **Roll call (2 min)**
  - a. Regrets: Tamara, Prerna
3. **Additions to the agenda (1 min)**

*Motion:* To approve the agenda  
*First: Jasmine Second: Justine*
4. **Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)**

*Motion:* To approve the previous meeting minutes  
*First: Jasmine Second: Talia*

**New Business:**

5. **Office Hours Update - Alyna (10 mins)**

**Alyna:** I just wanted to talk about office hours super quickly because I know at the last meeting we said that we were going to try office hour appointments time slots. However, when I was playing around with it, I ran into some problems because when I was doing it, I could only link it to my email address so anytime somebody would register for a time slot I would get an email and then I would have to notify the person whose office hours it is. I could do this but it is a lot more work on my plate to keep track of all the appointments and notify everyone accordingly. Also, it's not like a Google Calendar events where I can link a meeting to a Google meets link and then also show the guests, so people would not know whose appointment time slot they were signing up for if that makes sense. Those were the initial issues that I was running into and it was super hard to schedule them for like every 3 weeks so I don't know if this is really going to work as I don't know how sustainable it is for me to get every appointment notification and pass it on to the specific member as that's a lot more work on my hands. So another idea that I want to propose to you all is as opposed to the time slots, I was thinking that we could just have normal office hours like how they were last year, however, if nobody messages you within a specific time frame such as 10 minutes before or something then you don't have to attend your office hours. People could contact us by either email or Facebook to book a time to see you so it is kind of similar to the appointment slots in my opinion but just a new format. Or another option could be if nobody shows up within the first 10 minutes then you can just leave but in this scenario it would still be a bit annoying getting set up on Google Meets just for no one to come. Personally, I like that if no one contacts you within 10 minutes of your office hours, you don't have to attend, but what do you all think? I want to see what you guys thought about that as a point as opposed to the appointment ideas or if anybody has any other ideas let me know.

**Julia:** I am sure there is another software as opposed to Google Calendar that can do what we want with the

appointment time slots.

**Alyna:** Yeah, I am sure that there is. However, all the events have always traditionally been on Google Calendar and I don't know if I really want to create a specific software just specifically for office hours. Right now people already don't use our pharmacy Google calendar so I feel like they wouldn't use something else in addition to that. Plus I think keeping it succinct on just one app makes it a lot easier, in my opinion.

**Julia:** Okay, I see your point- that makes sense.

**Alyna:** So do we think that the 10 minute thing would work or if nobody messages you, then you don't have to go to your office hour or if nobody shows up within the first 10 minutes you don't have to stay?

**Julia:** Just another question, are they going to be in person or online?

**Alyna:** Bojana and I were thinking of having them online for at least the first semester as we don't really know what's happening with course delivery yet and I want to be able to accommodate everyone. Plus, I don't want people to come in-person to school every 3 weeks if they don't have to. However, I am sure that if everyone was at school that day, having it in-person would work as well. We should have access to the APSA office as well so if people wanted to host them in the office I feel like that would work.

**Jasmine:** Yeah, I like the 10 minutes before option as well just because if no one is messaging you, I don't think anyone would be showing up anyways and it can still be a hassle for people to stay in a Google Meets call for 10 minutes. I agree with you that's all I have to say. I know you had office hours last year and no one ever came to them so I think this is a good compromise for both the student body and the APSA councilors who are volunteering their time.

**Alyna:** Ah, okay, thank you for your feedback Jazz. I would also make the 10 minute thing clear because on Google Calendar events we can add a description so I can incorporate it into there to make it clear to everyone that you need to message the councilors first. Also, in the How to Navigate APSA Members Corner document, I had a section for office hours so I will add that rule in there too. I think that is all I have for my section. If no one else has any comments or feedback we can move onto the next agenda item.

## **6. VP Finance Updates - Julia**

### **a. Creating a Finance Committee (3 minutes)**

**Julia:** I think I mentioned it before, but I would like to make a new finance committee to help me out next year and I am not sure if anyone has any concerns with that.

**Alyna:** I don't have any concerns with this, but I am not 100% sure how we go about doing it. I was reading the constitution and it just says that it has to be approved by  $\frac{2}{3}$  of council, however, I am not sure if that means general council or executive council? I can reach out to Marzena to clarify if we want. The constitution is just super vague and I want to make sure that we are doing this correctly.

**Julia:** Does that mean I would have to wait another 2 weeks until the next council meeting though? I really wanted to start getting organized as soon as possible.

**Alyna:** Bojana, what do you think? It doesn't specify executive or general so I guess we could just interpret that as either? I am comfortable making a motion today if this is a time sensitive manner because technically if  $\frac{2}{3}$  of the executive council agrees that would be following the constitution. I guess we do have more room to be more flexible and interpret it accordingly.

**Bojana:** I think we can just do an executive council motion and then we can write this in the notes for next year to change at the next constitution and revision meeting to make it more specific as it's super vague. We wouldn't be

doing anything wrong if we make a motion today. We do have 2 people missing but there are still 7 of us so we have more than  $\frac{2}{3}$  of the council which works. As this is time pressing, I am okay with it if everyone else is.

**Alyna:** Yeah, I agree with that Bojana. We would just need to make a motion.

**Bojana:** Can you type out what I have to say?

**Alyna:** Yeah sure, just give me 1 minute, I'll put it in the chat and then we will just need a first, second, and all in favor.

**Motion:** Be it resolved that APSA Council approves the creation of a new ad-hoc Finance Committee for the 2022-2023 council term.

**First:** Jasmine **Second:** Alyna

#### **b. Budget Update (7 minutes)**

**Bojana:** I am not sure if this is part of your agenda item but I just wanted to see if you had an update on purchasing the software you mentioned last meeting as I know that we have to make a motion and get that process started.

**Julia:** I actually do have an update on that in my next agenda item.

**Bojana:** Okay perfect, thanks.

**Julia:** So just a quick update on the budget as well and how it is looking. I have most of the counselor requests on their expenses and I asked for the maximum amounts and then I could see what I could make work. I just have a few that haven't submitted yet, but I will need to re-reach out to them. A few challenges that I have been facing are just working through it and trying to hurry so Bojana, Talia, and I can start negotiating with faculty. Until then, I cannot finalize the budget but I am hoping to do it ASAP, sometime in the second week of August. The only other thing is that I haven't done any cutting or adjustments to the expenses. Right now, the total amount of expenditure is \$36k but that is not factoring in any faculty funding and potential sponsorships which leads me to the next thing that I wanted to communicate. After looking at the budget, the first thing I want to do is go over it with Bojana one-on-one. I do want to keep everyone in the loop and not surprise anyone, so looking at the budget right now,  $\frac{1}{3}$  of the budget goes to Blue and Gold, VP Academic gets 8% of it, and I have been doing some more digging as well. Some things that I noticed were that with some of the traditional expenses that we have, when I compare how much we are spending and how many students benefit from them, I have been kind of confused. For example, with our intramural hockey, only about 15 APSA members benefit, however, we do pay about \$5000 in hockey fees. In comparison to other sports such as volleyball and soccer, hockey is a very expensive sport. Another thing I have been talking to Jazzi about is our CAPSI national fee which is about 6.5% of the total budget and costs us about \$8000-9000. I think we definitely need to have a conversation about how much we are spending on what and I do want to ensure that everyone is on the same page and wanted to give a little update.

**Bojana:** Is there a breakdown of where exactly the money goes for hockey?

**Julia:** I think it goes towards upkeep of ice, renting out arenas, equipment, and then some other things which is why it is so expensive.

**Bojana:** Hm okay, what would the alternative be though? To cut out hockey?

**Julia:** We could try to balance it out with the other sports. The other intramural sports are about \$280-400 dollars and on hockey we are spending about \$117 per person vs. volleyball which is \$16 per person. We could also look for a sponsorship or ask students to start pitching in for intramural sports. I think it would be best to have a meeting with you to go through everything and then we can bring back ideas to the team.

**Bojana:** Yeah, we can definitely do that. I also just have a question because I know a few meetings ago, I brought up how Ali from RxA wanted to have a meeting on the budget and Talia you said that you wanted to be a part of it. I just wanted to follow-up with you both to see if you have reached out to him and to see if you have any updates.

**Julia:** I met 2 weeks ago with Justine, Talia, and Aly and we discussed what he would like to do moving forward. I think we are focusing on the orientation right now and then discussing sponsorships once I have a list of events and what not which kind of goes into my next agenda item. I think the way we will ask for sponsorships will change this year.

**Talia:** He has to do his budget soon so we can probably get better estimates soon from him.

**Julia:** If there are no other comments then I can show you what Talia and I discussed in terms of how we want to get sponsorships this year.

### **c. Budget Next Action Item (4 minutes)**

**Julia:** So I was talking to Zach and he had a business friend who discussed how in the past, he would get all of his student groups specific business packages, he managed to get them around \$115k in sponsorships. I was pretty impressed and shocked at this number so I ended up having a conversation with him and asked him if he had any advice or what he would recommend. Ultimately, he said to take this approach and tweak what they did in last year's package. Basically he said that we need to be clear with our sponsors of what they are getting out of it and how it can benefit them. Focusing on presentation sponsors who want to present, sponsors who just want to get recognized, sponsors who want to network with us, etc. We want to start targeting sponsors that want to talk to students. Unlike last year where there were mostly diamond and yearly sponsorships, he recommended that we list out all of the events throughout the year and then let the sponsors decide where and which events they would receive the most value from. We would almost sell it like slots to them. We need to treat these sponsorships as a revenue source instead of them just covering a specific expense. Traditionally, we have been showing all of our costs and then showing the sponsor and asking if they can pay this specific fee for us. They are getting way more value as an opportunity to connect and network with 350 pharmacy students than just what the cost of our event is. Also if our sponsorships are more successful this year, then we would not have to rely so much on the Faculty and membership fees. That is where this idea came from and what I have been working on. Once I go through the budget with you, Bojana, I am hoping to get a better idea of where we are. Currently, I think that our expenses are too high and we currently do not have a safety net. The sooner we can roll this out and get extra money to help with that safety net, the better. Hence why, I wanted my finance committee to be formed as soon as possible. I hope that made sense.

**Bojana:** Yeah, before I even say anything, I want to hand it over to Justine and Jazzi as you both are planning various events and will require sponsorships so I wanted to see if either of you have any thoughts.

**Justine:** So I actually went to a hall viewing for Blue and Gold at Mirage and I got a pretty decent quote in comparison to how much we spent last year. The hall can hold about 8000 people and for everything, including the DJ, food, bar service, gratuity, etc. everything except our core decoration it would cost us about \$25k which is not bad at all and with sponsors we can get even more expenses covered. I think we would be able to charge around \$50-60 for tickets which is similar to what they have traditionally done. My goal is honestly to break even as Blue and Gold is a very costly event and I really do not want to bleed APSA dry. Yeah, that is all I got so far.

**Julia:** I feel like if we can get our sponsors to work, we might not even have to worry about breaking even but of course this is extremely optimistic of me to say.

**Justine:** Funny that you mention sponsorship because I just got a message from Justin where they asked if there would be any problems if they try to get other sponsorships for Blue and Gold and I told them that I see no problems with that.

**Bojana:** That is amazing, Justine. I remember Blue and Gold being around \$35-38k last year, and even if we splurge on decoration, it is not going to cost \$13,000 dollars.

**Justine:** We are choosing the most basic decorations and I was saying that if we spend a couple hundred dollars to have matching table cloths, napkins, and centerpieces, we will be totally fine. Also, decorations are not going to make it or break it considering that our venue is already great. Plus the music will be great, there will be a photobooth, the DJ brings a smoke system.

**Bojana:** That is so cool, how did the viewing work then?

**Justine:** It was myself, Justin, Kartik, and Prerna who went to the viewing and we all had really good first impressions. It was really nice and we even talked to them about inclusive food options and they mentioned that they can make it halal and have gluten free and vegan options as well. In terms of alcohol, I think that the standard drink prices are about \$6 a piece which isn't too bad or the other option is that we can bring our own booze if APSA can supply it, however, I think that going with the \$6 drink will be much less complicated. Everyone also wants a variety of drinks so I think having them serve us alcohol is better. We can also cut down costs by \$1000 by not renting out Hall A and B, and just renting out Hall A. But they said depending on how many people we get, they can throw in Hall B for free. Hall A itself can hold about 400-500 people.

**Bojana:** Honestly, if our goal is to do \$60 a ticket, and we can get sponsors and decrease it to the \$50 range, more students would be able to come. Also, the dance floor was a little packed I felt like and that would not be that big of an issue. At the end of the day, you choose what you think is best, Justine. I also just want to say that I am so happy that people outside of the executive council went. I think that is a very great perspective to have. It would be so cool if nearly every student came.

**Justine:** With Hall A + B we can open up for more of our sponsors to come. I know that Ali from RxA likes to come, Kit from Mint Health as well. We can even have plus 1's and even plus 2's for the students if we have that extra space too. Also, I went back to the whole thing of Blue and Gold being at Midway and I tried to map it out and Midway is way too small there is no way that it would be possible

**Bojana:** Oh really? I wanted to come to Mirage and I even looked at the gallery online, but I feel like it is kind of tough to tell online.

**Justine:** It looks way better in person than it does online.

**Bojana:** Thank you for the update Justine. I know that this is not really relevant to the finances but I am sure this is music to Julia's ears as well. Jazz did you have anything to add or to say?

**Jasmine:** Just to confirm we are still talking about sponsors right?

**Bojana:** Yes.

**Jasmine:** I think that having sponsors would be great. I know for CAPSI, the biggest thing in our budget is definitely PAM. Last year, a lot of our costs were reduced due to COVID but hopefully, this year COVID does not ruin in-person events for us. But if we do have in-person events, money is needed. I know that CAPSI normally partners up with RxA for our PAM buttons and if we are going to have in-person events sponsors would be very helpful in this case.

**Bojana:** I think also from what Julia was saying, I remember when Talia gave her run down on RxA and ACP when she talked to them at the start of her transition that they are more particular in where they want to spend their money. However, I think that if we give them the options and if we give them the caveat of how many students they can reach they would be willing to spend more money. They want events to reach a large majority of students. I think if we show them that it is possible to see a high number of students that they can network with, they would

be okay. This seems like the biggest goals that they have based on my conversations with them. I don't know Talia if you want to chime in at all, but that has been my understanding so far. I think that this format is very comprehensive and they can essentially just choose a package. This would help us too as we would have a guaranteed amount of money and it would also help us along the way as it seems like a more efficient way to get sponsors.

**Talia:** For really general stuff I really like this format. For PAM, because there is so much going on, I think there is a specific PAM package. For particular sponsors we should do what they have been doing historically, or if we know what particular sponsors are interested in. We put together something for them. For example, with Mint, we know that they have done the Holiday Helping Hand and the Grant, and we tell them that we would love to continue doing that but here are also a few options that we are offering this year. Offer everyone the same thing but offer additional options to specific sponsors, and those specifically the ones that we have worked with in the past.

**Julia:** I think that is a good point, Talia. Zach was also saying that we are not leveraging enough. For partners that we have already had in the past, we should work more closely with them as they have always been there.

**Bojana:** I don't have anything else to add. Julia, I know that you want to have a meeting to go over this with me. Is everyone okay with this? Thank you Julia and everyone for your updates and opinions. Alyna, is there anything else on the agenda?

**Alyna:** Julia, are you done with all of your updates or is there more you have?

**Julia:** I just have the accounting update.

**Alyna:** Oh yes, yes, go ahead then.

#### **d. Financial System Implementation Project (15 minutes)**

**Julia:** So, after our last meeting, I wanted to see if I could find something better and I did end up finding a different accountant. He made me realize what I received as a proposal before, was a system without a system without any best practices working in the background. What I realized was that our by-laws and constitution is lacking in policies and procedures to do our finances properly. This gentleman has run a nonprofit before and he is also an accountant who works with non-profits as well. He literally listed every single pronem that we had without even looking at our finances and I was pretty impressed. I am still waiting on him to get us a specific quote, but he said it would be around \$4-6k to get our year end financials, accountant professional view of what our finances looks like, a meeting to go over that with us, and the consulting bit where he would go through all of our financial policies. He would help us make templates and resources to make sure that correct processes are in place and do a review of our constitution. They would also have accounting software like the other one would at \$6000 max. He said that he would also be interested in sponsoring us. I talked to other accountants too and none of them really connected well with me like he did. I am leaning towards him. Another quote I got was \$12K. I am just not too sure on whether or not we should go ahead on purchasing this considering that our budget is not 100% done yet.

**Alyna:** I just have a question because I know that you said it would be \$6k max, but in the other meeting we talked about the fee for first time initiation and then how much we would have to pay annually to re-register and I was just wondering if you have an idea on that? Like how much would we have to pay every year to get this person's help and the accounting software?

**Julia:** That is why I wanted to make a finance committee because I think the biggest thing is training. If we can get another student before I leave to know exactly what is going on I think it will be \$4k annually. He does need to reach out to get back to me on a specific quote.

**Bojana:** Does anyone else have any other ideas? Do you have any concerns?

**Julia:** If there is no criticism I cannot feel confident that we made the right decision.

**Bojana:** What was the price difference between this option and the other option?

**Julia:** Um, let me pull it up.

**Alyna:** Wait I have them in my head since I just finished the meeting minutes on them. So with the other option it would depend on if we would go with option 1 or 2 because we were saying \$2720 for the fee and then \$1200 if we don't want the training or \$1800 if we do want the training if I remember correctly.

**Bojana:** Okay, so about a \$2k difference between the 2 options which isn't the end of the world.

**Alyna:** Yeah, I just want to make sure that we can afford it, that is the only thing. I don't want us to commit to something and then say in September when we have a finalized budget we regret it. Say for example if the sponsorships don't work out, I don't want us to be in a deficit. That is my only criticism about the whole thing, it is super expensive.

**Julia:** That is totally fair and understandable. I think I will feel a lot better once Bojana and I go through the budget together and then if we bring it back to the team.

**Bojana:** I am just wondering if Blue and Gold is cheaper this year, can we afford this system. This will be an investment piece, it is not like every year APSA will be paying \$6k right?

**Julia:** That is why I wanted to talk to you because I am finding a lot of ways APSA can be more efficient, however, I cannot make these decisions by myself.

**Bojana:** Okay, I know you wanted to buy something ASAP and I know that you won't feel comfortable making a decision unless we all give our approval. What is your timeline for this because we might have to set up a meeting here fairly quickly.

**Julia:** I feel like I will reach out to him and see what the workload is going to be. If I have to power through a week before school starts for it to be operational, I can do that. And then throughout the year, I can continuously touch base with him on how to improve stuff. Because, I know I said last meeting that I really need it ASAP, which I do. I also think we need to find balance because I don't want to be rash in this decision either.

**Bojana:** Okay, maybe we can reconvene with a decision at the next meeting and then in the meantime Julia, you and I can have a meeting.

**Alyna:** I know we're talking about our next meetings, but I just wanted to say that I am gone for 2ish weeks in August and when I am gone we are scheduled to have a meeting. If you all want to have a meeting without me that is totally fine, maybe someone can do the meeting minutes in my place. I don't think we can postpone a meeting until I am back though, if we have to figure out these financial things.

**Bojana:** You leave on the 10th and come back when?

**Alyna:** I leave on the 9th and come back on the 23rd. And our next meeting will be around the 8th so the night before I leave so I can attend that one. And I come back at night on the 23rd and I think with the time difference it's actually the 24th and I know I won't be free to have meetings for the first little bit because I have a pretty packed week when I get back and then we jump straight into the summer retreat, orientation, and the school year basically.

**Bojana:** Yeah, we can play it by ear. I feel like by that time, we wanted to have a lot of our things settled and finalized by August anyways. We can play it by ear, and if not, we can figure out how to take meeting minutes

without you.

**Julia:** I think August might be a busy month for me, for APSA. If I am going to take on this committee, and if Talia and I go really hard on the sponsorships and if we negotiate with the Faculty it is going to be a pretty hectic month for me.

**Bojana:** Okay, that's okay. Thank you for letting us know, Alyna. We can manage, it will be hard to manage without you, but we will be okay.

## **7. Additions to the Agenda:**

### **a. Committee Applications - Mankirat (5 minutes)**

**Mankirat:** So this past week, Julia and I have been talking about getting my budget set up and I was telling her that I really can't make my budget because I don't have a committee yet so I don't really know what event I'll be hosting this year. I also went through APSA Members corner and I was looking at their timeline last year and last summer we opened up committee applications in July so that we could have our committees formed in early August. I was just wondering what you all think and then maybe we can start getting the applications open for everyone's committees so that we actually have a committee starting maybe at the start of August or mid August so that we can actually like to have proper budget requests.

**Julia:** Uh oh, so we are behind schedule then?

**Mankirat:** I don't know if we are behind schedule but I am pretty sure that they went out at the end of July last year but someone fact checked me on that. And like I said, if this is something that everyone else agrees with, maybe we should start the applications.

**Julia:** My portion kind of goes along with this agenda addition as I have some time sensitive matters that I would like to start planning prior to the school year so I would like to form my committee as soon as possible as well.

**Alyna:** Okay, thank you Mankirat for bringing that up, I totally forgot about committees to be completely honest. Personally, I don't really know how the correct process for committee applications but we can reach out to Yara and see what she says

**Bojana:** Yara was the old CRO, it's Maha for this council term.

**Alyna:** Oh yes, sorry, we should double check with Maha.

**Mankirat:** Is that something you can do for us, Alyna?

**Alyna:** Sure, I will reach out to Maha after this meeting and will keep you all posted

**Mankirat:** Perfect, thank you Alyna.

**Alyna:** No worries.

## **8. Adjournment (8:31pm)**

**Motion:** To adjourn

**First:** Jasmine **Second:** Julia