



APSA Executive Council Meeting
July 12th, 2022 @7:30pm, online via Google Meets

1. **Call to order (7:34pm)** Bojana, Talia, Alyna, Prerna, Julia, Justine, Mankirat, Jazzi
2. **Roll call (2 min)**
 - a. Regrets: Tamara
3. **Additions to the agenda (1 min)**

Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Talia Second: Justine
4. **Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)**

Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Julia Second: Justine

New Business:

5. Office Hours Discussion - Alyna (10 minutes)

Alyna: Okay, so I just wanted to have a quick conversation in regards to office hours and how we want to run them this year. Only general councilors have to attend them, executive councilors are exempt as per the constitution but I still wanted to bring it up with you all. So basically how it worked last year in the first semester, is that we had office hours and we did them online via Google Meets and we would have them bi-weekly. Each councilor got to choose a specific day in the week and then could either choose an 8am or a noon timeslot. When I was the second year class representative, last year, I had mine every 2nd Monday during lunch and from my experience not one person showed up. I think this was a combination of people not knowing about the resources that APSA has to offer, personally, I didn't even know office hours existed until I needed to run them, as well as it being kind of awkward online over video chat. We then made some tweaks to office hours for the winter semester due to the low participation and instead of having it bi-weekly we would have them once a month and I think they were just at noon, if I can remember correctly, but I will double check and let you all know. Despite the changes we implemented in the winter semester, no one came to my office hours either and I remember missing a few events during PAM at lunch due to the fact that I had office hours which was a bit frustrating- of course if people showed up, I would definitely not mind missing out on events but I remember just sitting at a table in a Google Meets room waiting all lunch hour for someone to show up. I don't know how we want to hold them next year, we don't even really know if school is going to be hybrid or all in-person right now, so we could hold them online for the first little bit and see how it goes? That was a lot of information that I just threw at you all so I am open to any suggestions or feedback on how we want to run office hours.

Julia: Yeah, so back in 2019 when we were in person, I doubt anyone went. I don't even know what the purpose of it is? What is the purpose of it on paper?

Alyna: I've talked to people who were on APSA prior to COVID hitting, and they said office hours were more so for storage. For example, the Community Education Director would use office hours to store their community education packages and people could go in to drop stuff off. Based on my conversations that was how most people explained how in-person office hours worked. Or if they had a question, they would go at lunch and talk to APSA council member or if they wanted APSA to address something. That is my current understanding of what they were used for in the past, but I only talked about it with a few people and that was their point of view.

Julia: Even when we had community education in 2019, the Community Education Director would set up times herself for people to pick up the kits. I don't even think it was during APSA office hours. If we're now living in an online world, and people are not using the office hours, I am wondering if they are needed?

Alyna: We would not be able to get rid of them as they are written in the APSA Constitution, the only thing we could do is bring up a conversation about the significance of office hours at the next constitution policy and revision meeting next April. There is also no indication in the constitution of how often we have to hold them, it just states who is responsible for holding office hours so it's quite flexible. Therefore, as we have to hold them this year, the thing we need to figure out is what platform- online or in person, how often we want to hold them, and at what time slots.

Talia: I was wondering if something like this could work. On Google Calendar you can have appointment slots and people can then choose to sign up for different time slots. For example, say your office hours will be from 12-1pm this Friday, people can then book you for 15 minute time slots. We could send out reminders for the student body reminding them what office hours are and then if they want to sign up to talk to one of us they can. That way the onus is on the person to sign up and we would be able to tell if anyone is going to show up in advance. If no one signs up, then great, I have a free lunch hour because no one was going to show up anyways.

Alyna: Yeah, I think that is a really great idea Talia, thank you. I didn't even know that was a thing to be honest. The only thing we would have to figure out is how often we want to hold them. I think maybe having every General Councilor to sign up for one slot a month is reasonable to see if people even attend, but what does everyone else think?

Talia: I think that is a good duration and frequency for at least a test run.

Alyna: We can also see how September goes and then adjust if needed in October.

Julia: Are office hours everyday?

Alyna: They were everyday in the first semester for us, I think Talia, right?

Talia: Honestly, I don't even remember because when I got nominated into first year class representative I was just told that these were my office hours and to attend them, so I honestly can't remember to be honest. I just remember every week being on Google Meets by myself for an hour. I think it was 3-4 people who had the same time slot and I can't remember if it was every single day or just Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Alyna: I want to say in the first semester it was everyday but then when we had low attendance, we cut down in the second semester, but I just can't remember the exact frequency. In the first semester there were both noon and 8am time slots, and then in the second semester they were just offered at noon. I don't know if we should just do it how they did it in the second semester with just once a month at noon?

Talia: Yeah, I think that is a decent way to do it. I feel like if someone wants to meet with you on a different day you should have the option to move your office hours. For example, if someone wants to make an appointment with you a week prior to your scheduled time slot, I feel like that is okay. Because again, we have that flexibility about it.

Julia: Sounds like we will have to trial and run it.

Alyna: Yeah, does anyone have anything else that they would like to add?

Bojana: Just so you know Alyna, Jazzi wrote in the comments that a lot of people did not even know that office hours existed and I remember people saying that no one ever came to theirs and that they only got emails. I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but should we give 10 seconds to Mankirat, Prerna, and Justine to add any comments that they may have?

Mankirat: Yeah I agree with everything that has been said, I didn't know office hours existed as well. I feel like email is more popular but because Alyna said that we can't get rid of office hours, I like Talia's idea of having office slots as a compromise.

Bojana: Perfect, thank you. I will pass it over to Prerna now.

Prerna: I was just going to say that I agree with the ideas as well. Another thing I was going to say was if people in our class want to email us, we can just tell them what slots we have available if email is a more popular option instead of just sitting there for an hour and having no one show up. But, I guess that is basically the same thing as the time slot idea that Talia suggested.

Bojana: So it seems like everyone is down for once a month having office hours but having more so a link to booking appointments is that what we are saying or did I not understand that?

Alyna: I think so, yeah that is how I am understanding it too. Also, I just want to clarify that when I say once a month I mean that the General Councilors only have to volunteer for 1 slot a month but they would be offered more than once a month- I don't know if I made that clear or if that even makes sense.

Bojana: Yeah, that makes sense.

Alyna: Also, I just wanted to throw in that I know a lot of people didn't know about office hours and it was advertised to the student body, however, Bojana and I have been working on a APSA document of how to navigate APSA Members Corner and where we explain everything that APSA has to offer and we were planning on pinning it to the top of APSA Members Corner as well as having the class representatives including it in their housekeeping section of their weekly emails. I will send you all the PDF after this meeting and if anyone has any suggestions or edits, feel free to reach out to me. Or if anyone has ideas on how to further advertise stuff, please let me know.

Justine: Yeah, I was thinking you can put something about office hours in the 2026 orientation. I don't think it has ever been included in the powerpoint actually because I went through the last 3 years slides and I don't remember seeing anything about office hours. If anyone wants to talk about this here, feel free to put in a slide.

Bojana: That is a really good idea Justine. And just to echo what Alyna said, if you think that there is anything that needs to be better advertised within your own roles let us know. Alyna and I did a lot of brainstorming on how to better organize the APSA page on FB because there is a lot of notification fatigue and people miss stuff, but I am not taking credit for the organization, that is Ms. Dato for all the hard work. But yeah, if you want anything advertised, especially under a specific category, Alyna wrote out a very comprehensive guide with different categories so you can always place it on there.

Julia: I would be excited to see what that is, my only other idea would be to move to a discord channel. When you have it under channels, people can subscribe to the notifications that they want to receive, but just an idea.

Bojana: Maybe we can talk to class representatives and we can see what classes think. I know a lot of people are not tech savvy and hate discord. Some people don't even have Facebook, and I don't want to shift it over to a new platform and have people miss out. Maybe we can pin this until September and see what people have to say.

Alyna: After the meeting I can put the link to the document I made so people can look at it and edit it to their liking.

Bojana: Perfect, is that enough information for you then Alyna in regards to office hours?

Alyna: Yes, that's great. I just wanted to have this conversation so I can get it organized and give people enough notice before they can sign up. The sign up normally comes out in August and I think I have enough information to get that ready.

6. Giveaway and APSA Resources Discussion Continuation - Alyna (5 minutes)

Motion: To move into Camera

First: Alyna Second: Talia

Motion: To move out of Camera

First: Alyna Second: Prerna

7. LGBTQ+ PhSc Update - Bojana (3 minutes)

Bojana: I just wanted to update you all on the status of the LGBTQ+ PhSc. I know I wrote a message about it in our group chat, however, I just wanted to verbalize it so we are all on the same page. The co-presidents for the upcoming year will be Cassidy Phillips and Samantha Gottschalk, with me acting as the past-president. If anyone has to speak to the club, I am not sure if anyone has reached out to them yet but the best way to go about it would be by emailing both Cassidy and Samantha and then CC'ing me as well. Cassidy and Sam will then decide amongst themselves which one of them will continue along the conversation, and whoever responds is who you can carry out taking to moving forward. I am not sure if I made that clear in our group chat so I just wanted to clarify in person. I also just wanted to encourage you all to reach out to both the BPSA and the LGBTQ+ PhSc if you haven't already to see how we can work together in our respective groups and how we can support them moving forward. I think it is super important that all 3 of these groups come together and ensure that the entire student body is heard, represented, and feels welcome. I think everyone should be done with their rotations now, so hopefully that gives you a bit more free time. Also if anyone needs help on what to say or needs any support at all, please feel free to reach out and message either myself or Alyna. Alyna has already reached out to both Cassidy, Sam, Raymond who is the BPSA president, as well as Tamara and Mankirat as we have some ideas that correlate with each of these roles. But yeah, I think that is my update on that, does anyone have questions before we move onto the next agenda item?

Summer Retreat Update - Bojana (3 minutes)

Bojana: For the Summer Retreat, I know Alyna has already sent out some reminders as well as a few Google Forms to get peoples attendance and dietary restrictions but just another mini update. Alyna and I have worked super hard to secure a picnic site on the 28th, which was a bit of a nightmare, but I won't go into a huge amount of detail. We did book a canopied picnic site, that allows alcohol, from 4:00-8:00pm at Rundle Park. As mentioned, the summer retreat is going to be hybrid with the housekeeping meeting from 9-12pm via zoom in the morning and then we will have our team bonding at Rundle Park. During this meeting we do want everyone to share their plans for the upcoming year. I have reached out to Garret as the past president as well as he is supposed to swear me in as president, however, he is going to be out of town but hopefully he can quickly hop on for a few minutes to get that portion completed. We will not be supplying any alcohol, however, if people want to bring their own that is totally okay- I do want this to be a fun and chill get to know each other event. I don't think everyone will be able to make it but as of right now all of APSA's General Council, Executive Council, and Officers are invited which is around 50 people. We do have a draft list of food that we are going to supply which we will submit to Julia to see if she can approve it or not. Alyna also made that Google Form in regards to any dietary restrictions, food allergies, and

preferences so please make sure you fill that out, if you haven't already. As long as we can accommodate this within APSA's budget I do want to supply food and drinks, rather than having a potluck. Alyna and I were price checking a whole bunch of different pizza spots, and we are thinking of getting large pizzas, chips, desert, and pop from costco as it seems to be the cheapest option- and of course we will supply vegan, halal, and gluten free options.

Julia: In terms of the budget, I don't see any issues with it so I am good on my end. Do we have to submit this to Bearsden as an event?

Bojana: Oh, that is actually a really good question, Julia. To be honest, there is really not much documentation wise in the drive so I am not sure what they have done in the past. I will ask Garret about this and I think it would be smart to submit it as an event just to cover my bases.

Julia: Yeah, I think that would be smart as well. I am also asking because if alcohol is involved, we might need to get insurance as that would be categorized as alcohol consumption, off-site.

Bojana: Hm, that is a very valid concern and I honestly need to look more into it and I can connect with you afterwards. While I do want this to be the easiest, it is summer, in a park, and I do want people to bring alcohol if they want to- however, I truly did not even think of insurance.

Julia: I don't know too much about this either, all I know is that there are specific requirements for it but we can figure it out together.

Bojana: No worries, Julia, maybe we can follow-up about it after this meeting?

Julia: Sure

Bojana: Perfect, Prerna I shall pass it over to you now.

Bojana: if you can follow-up with me to that

Prerna: I just had a question on if we were inviting the BPSA and the LGBTQ+ PhSc?

Bojana: We will 100% be inviting Cassidy Phillips and Veronica Saunders who are the BPSA and LGBTQ PhSc+ representatives on APSA. Technically, the LGBTQ PhSc+ is an APSA affiliated club however, BPSA is just a representative. I think I will wait to see what the numbers look like from now because while I think that it would be great to invite them both, I do want to be mindful of our budget as I know this year we need to be more fiscally conservative. I do not want to take away the funds and resources that our APSA affiliated clubs can use or even the money that we can use in our respective positions. I will update you all once we get finalized numbers and I look at the budget with Julia. Really good point and I am glad that you brought this up. Does that make sense Prerna, do you have any concerns with that?

Prerna: Sounds good, we have just talked a lot about making a more inclusive year and I think it would be really good for everyone to mingle and get to know each other. Plus it would be nice to set the year off on the right foot by ensuring that both these clubs are included. This is the start of it and I think that it would be really good

Bojana: I see Mankirat also mentioned in the comments that Pharmacy Women and Sports Club in the chat and that is also very true they are an APSA affiliated club and we would not want to discount them as well. I definitely want these clubs to be more involved, and I want to involve and collaborate with them moving forward but I may have to revisit how many people we can invite and Alyna maybe we can send them a Google Form to see who would be interested and or available to attend. Prerna, after you said this I feel like this actually may have to be something that is non-negotiable so thank you for bringing it up. I will go back to the drawing board in regards to our budget and numbers, run it by Alyna and Julia as they have been the ones helping me out and then provide an

update at the next meeting.

Alyna: Just a couple of things, first I wanted to do a subtle shout-out to my Google Form in regards to the summer retreat, so if you have not filled that out please do as soon as possible. Next, last year for the summer retreat, I know that BPSA was there because Tobi did a little presentation in the morning. I definitely think that they should be there for the morning portion, not to say that they shouldn't be invited to the afternoon but it would be no cost to us to have them there for our morning meeting if our budget cannot accommodate having them at both portions.

Bojana: Yeah, but the LGBTQ PhSc+ was not, so I really appreciate Mankirat for giving a shout out to PWS because I know I was not thrilled that we were not invited last year as the newest club under APSA.

Alyna: I was just going to say that the APSA club applications are normally not due until September for which clubs are going to be renewed under our APSA membership status. But, how should we pick and choose which clubs we invite? Because I definitely think that PWS, BPSA, and LGBTQ PhSc+ should all be invited, however, are there any other clubs that we need to include to ensure we don't miss anyone else?

Bojana: I think in those regards, these are all underrepresented, marginalized groups that we specifically want to center and I think those are pretty important to have. I don't know what other clubs are there? Is there a Christian fellow-ship club still?

Alyna: I can pull it up in the Drive right now, just give me 2 minutes. Just for the APSA affiliated clubs, the VP Admin normally sends out an email in late August- early September and then I present the requests to the General Council for approval. Maybe I can do it earlier this year or just include BPSA, LGBTQ+ PhSc, and PWS? What does everyone think?

Bojana:How does everyone think about adding the existing clubs and then this time next year, for example, if a new club forms in September, then this time next year they would be invited to the following retreat, but because they formed in September they would not come to this one just because they were non-existent. I don't want to penalize clubs that are already existing just because we have to wait until September, does that make sense?

Alyna: Yeah, I see what you're saying. Also, I just pulled up the clubs affiliated with us from the 2021-2022 APSA council term. So we had LGBTQ+ PhSc, PWS, PUJC which I think is the Pharmacy Undergraduate Journal Club, The Pharmacotherapy Project, and the Pharmacy Christian Fellowship Club.

Bojana: Okay, so that is 5 APSA affiliated clubs. That will definitely change our budget dramatically- we might have to pull back on food and snacks then, I am not sure I will have to take a look at all of this.

Alyna: Or even would it be feasible for just 1 representative or spokesperson to come from each club as opposed to every single member? Because if we do that it would just be an additional 5 guests as opposed to like 30.

Bojana: Do you mean just the presidents of the club?

Alyna: Yeah, the president or even just a representative from each club.

Bojana; That is fair, I think Mankirat had her hand raised a while ago so I will pass it along to her. And then Prerna is next.

Mankirat: Yeah I was just going to say that I agree with Alyna, maybe we could send out an email and see if they would want to be invited or included and if they have anything to say when we have our morning summer treat. And then maybe we could just invite a spokesperson because I think each group would have more than at least 5 members and that would be a lot more members coming in.

Bojana: Yeah, I know the LGBTQ+ PhSc and BPSA have quite a lot, the LGBTQ+ PhSc has about 14-15 members. Yeah, we can do that but I want to see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Prerna: I was just going to say if budgeting is an issue, I do not know if this is ethical or allowed, so please stop me if I am wrong, but what if we do a \$5-10 dollar fee for anyone who is coming, would that help with the budget at all?

Bojana: I am Interested in what Julia has to say about that.

Julia: I am still in the works of the budget but what is going through my head right now is that I was trying to get this expense covered through the Faculty if possible, but that sort of negotiation is done at the end of August unfortunately. So when we were talking about a budget of \$375 that was good but now that we are updating it I am not too sure. My other concern is that, if I am correct, is the Christian group APSA affiliated?

Alyna: The 5 groups that I mentioned before were all APSA affiliated last year, in 2021-2022 and the applications for this year are not traditionally done until September and then the General Council votes on them.

Julia: The way I was trying to do the budget this year was looking at where the money is coming from. If the money is coming from the Faculty, then the money has to be used for either networking, professionalism, or student wellness. If the money comes from a sponsor, they will have their own terms and conditions on how that money should be spent. If the money is coming from the student membership fees, I want all of the APSA members to have the opportunity to benefit from the expenditure. It does get more complicated if we add more people, but those are my thoughts while I have been trying to develop various financial proposals. I just want to ensure that we are using the right source of funds.

Bojana: I think if you want to have it sponsored by the Faculty or whoever else, if we are having all the student groups, whether they are APSA affiliated or not, a big chunk of that is networking, professional development in terms of networking amongst each other. I also think that it is very targeted towards student wellness because we want all of these student roles to get to know each other, have rapport, etc. If we are all in a good foundation and foreground then it will give us the ability to work together. If you need help writing it, I can help you as well.

Julia: Yes please, that would be great. I do not think that we would have an issue with the value proposition. Previous requests have not been for expenses like this and they have been approved. However, I cannot guarantee that we can get that funding is the only issue. Dalyce held this position last year and she was the contact person for us to negotiate with but she has stepped down. Now, the ultimate approval is done by Christine Hughes and the general manager, Christine Mah and I do have comments about that in my upcoming section. I would rather be on the side of caution, and by the end of August I hope we can finalize our budget if we get the go-ahead and get the Faculty's approval.

Bojana: I know Alyna and I have been scheduled to have a meeting with both Ravina and Ken Cor as we do not know what the structure of student services is going to be next year without Dalyce. I quote student services as it would now be under the health sciences college as opposed to the Faculty. I am not sure about that but in the meantime I can draft costs of what it would look like if we add all the members of the groups, if we just add a representative from each of these groups and then see if we can find a middle ground. Even if we do not get full funding, maybe we can get a subsidy that can cover the cost of the additional guests. I don't think it would be a situation of us getting no money. I can do this in the meantime and then update you all at our next meeting in 2 weeks if that is okay with everyone. I just wanna see a thumbs up if that works.

Julia: I know that they are interviewing for Dalyce's position, the one that would be negotiating APSA's funds, right now.

Prerna: I just wanna say that even if we cannot do the summer retreat with all of these student groups, I definitely think that we should do some sort of networking- even if it is just within the Executive Council because I do think

that this is very much needed just to build a relationship between everyone.

Bojana: I have zero issues doing that and I know that you wanted to add stuff to your role when you were running, do you think that would be something we could add to our role? I don't think this is a VP Social thing. I don't want to just throw it on you, but I do think this may be something you can make applicable to your role. If you can reach out to me after this meeting is done and then we can see if this is something you want to take the lead on or if you want us to both be co-chairs, etc.

Prerna: Yeah I can definitely do that.

Bojana: Okay, that is good for me, I think that we have gone over all of my stuff. The next meeting agenda is Julia.

8. VP Finance Updates - Julia (20 minutes)

Julia: Okay, so I apologize in advance because I have quite the updates for you all. Firstly, I just randomly remembered for the graduation committee that the graduating Class of 2020 and 2021 are currently planning their banquets right now- and they will have to submit these events to bearsden. Because they do not have EOT I just wanted to know what the best way to go about that was- I do not want a repeat of the Class of 2022's graduation with the Dean of Students emailing us super last minute. Technically, whoever submits this event will have their name attached to it and the accountability will be on them. I emailed them and suggested Alyna to submit the event but she doesn't have EOT yet.

Alyna: Yeah, I haven't had a chance to do EOT yet and before this I wasn't planning on even completing EOT as event planning doesn't really fall into my role as VP Admin, so I was wondering if there is anyone else who would be able to submit this event to bearsden if they already have their training completed?

Bojana: Honestly, I don't think that accountability should fall on any of us. I know we have had quite a hard time with the whole roster situation, however, I think I can easily add them to the roster and then they can get EOT and submit their event themselves. I know Melody was on the roster from before which is how she was able to submit the Class of 2022's grad and I think that this is typical protocol and it shouldn't be too hard for them to submit.

Julia: Oh okay, I just started the conversation with them and then looped Alyna into the email thread to see if she could help us.

Bojana: Maybe we can schedule a meeting with them and worse comes to worse we can call SGS as well. I am sure we are not the only Faculty with this dilemma as a lot of Faculties are having delayed graduation celebrations.

Julia: Also, as I am meeting with people to go over their budgets, I have been receiving a lot of event submission questions. I don't know if anyone is comfortable with bearsden or an expert on this but as I have been the first person to interact with the General Council all these messages are coming to me. If no one else knows how to answer them, maybe I can gather all of the questions and bring it to the group because they keep piling up.

Bojana: Justine, I know that you haven't submitted anything yet, but have you started navigating bearsden and if so, I just wanted to see if you had any thoughts on it?

Justine: No, I have not had a chance to look at it properly yet to be honest. However, I'll check in with Justin because I know that they have been playing around with it and I will see what they say and if they have cracked the code on how to use it.

Bojana: Okay, no worries- thanks. Do you have any other concerns Julia?

Julia: Other than that I am okay. Now, moving onto the budget- I am about 35% done at this point. I have been working and meeting with every councilor and officer and I am aiming to get that done by July so I can submit a

rough draft to everyone. Once we get a rough draft, I will show the Faculty which will have to be approved by Christine Hughes, Christine Ma, and then the person they chose to replace Dalyce. I also just had a question because when I met with Christine Ma, and we discussed how the College of Health Sciences was working with us, they said that they have no effect on our funding. In the exceptional tuition documentation I'm pretty sure that they said that there will be funding for us but she was telling me not to factor that in, but my understanding was that if they were increasing tuition we would receive more money.

Bojana: Can you put a link in the chat to the exceptional tuition increases document? I have not read it since October so I don't remember what was discussed there. However, in the case that it is written in the document, I think it would be appropriate to hold the Faculty accountable to their word. However, I think this would be more of a conversation with both Christine Hughes and Christine Ma. Also, if you are not comfortable drafting something up to send to them, I can help you.

Julia: That would be great, thank you.

Bojana: I can tag team that with you, but also I know Talia as VP Fundraising the budget is also part of your role so I just wanted to see if you want us to loop you in as well?

Talia: For sure, I think this should be a conversation that I should be a part of. I haven't read this documentation fully but I will ASAP. Julia if you just want to send me a chat and then we can move forward with this.

Bojana: Sounds good, Talia. Maybe if you wanted to make a follow-up group chat on slack and then we can discuss how we want to move and address this moving forward. I think with the VP Finance, VP Fundraising, and then myself as an advocacy role can address this especially if it was written in the document and they are withholding it.

Julia: I would love to collaborate on this. I have a lot on my plate right now so that is very reassuring. I know she was also saying that the Faculties budget was finalized in March so it sounds like they have set aside APSA's money for the 2022-2023 school year, prior to us even requesting it which may be another issue we have to deal with.

Alyna: Hi, sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to address that we're already at 8:30pm so if anyone has to leave feel free, I can send a copy of the meeting minutes to the group chat once I finish them.

Bojana: Oh yes, good point Alyna. Julia, is there anything else you would like to discuss today?

Julia: Yeah, I actually do have to discuss something super important. I wanted and needed to bring this up today because it takes 2-3 months for me to set up. I am looking to improve our financial system and our consulting with different accounts and came to the conclusion we have been using a paper based system which is a bit archaic in this time and age. I have been looking into accounting software to keep track of transactions, help us with auditing, etc. I have been going through the old documents and it seems like everything was just done on an excel spreadsheet run by the VP Finance, however, when it came to midterm and final season lots of stuff was not documented due to lack of time. This has also been a lot of work on the VP Finance and if they forget to document something, there will be no mention of how much was actually spent. I have been going through our budget and financial situation and trying to make decisions on how we should be allocating it all. It is super hard to make decisions as well if not all the information is up to date and accurate. I created a document that I wanted to share with you all. Just give me a second while I login and share my screen.

Bojana: While Julia is getting organized, I will try to give a bit of context as a refresher. The office of dean of students has been on our case about how we are tracking our money and our expenses which was the only issue why we re-registered APSA as a student group so late. They informed us that we need to change our system and have more accountability for our finances. If we don't fix this issue now, it is going to be even harder for APSA to re-register next year and we need to make sure that there is a better system in place- this is the main reason why Julia wants and needs to make these changes. They very well likely may not approve of us unless we come up with a better system for our finances.

Julia: Thanks Bojana, I missed out on that part. I know that this is quite significant but I want to spend about \$2000 right now to set up an accounting software but I really think it would be worth the investment. I am bringing it up now, because if we do want to go through with it, I would need to start now. The gist is, I want to spend \$2000 now and that is to set up the accounting software and to hear from the advice of experts to get their financial opinion. If we agree to go through with this, I would have to start now before we start moving money around, which is why I needed to talk about it at this meeting. I mentioned the excel spreadsheets above, but just to add to that, there were also no receipts attached and there is a lot of missing information. Basically the VP Finance would go into the scotia bank account and reconcile what money went in and what money went out. Danny was very on top of it and he was making a very thorough excel spreadsheet. However, it is a lot of data in one place and I was unable to reconcile it. Even using the spreadsheet, I had to make a lot of assumptions as there were many unknowns and the data was not 100% accurate. There was a lot of money that I don't know where it was spent or why. Danny's transfer log was a huge improvement in the right direction however, excel spreadsheets still have a high risk of human error and it is just going to cause more issues. I feel like we need to treat APSA as a small business, considering how much is in our bank account and invest in proper accounting software. Quickbooks is the software that I have been looking into and what the accountant suggested, it will be hooked up to our bank account directly, there is live sync, we do not have to input anything as the software does this for you and it also has receipt storing information and requires photos of receipts. All the transactions will go through the software and you will get a notification. I will not need to input anything, because the VP Finance would use it to write the date, what was spent, and description but Quickbooks would do that for us. It also makes invoices for us. It will make it so much easier to track how much is coming into our account, how much is going out and overall increase our efficiency and ensure that we are not going into a deficit. If we ever need to generate reports, it can do this for us, it can track our spending month by month, week by week, day by day etc. If we ever get into a situation like we did with the Dean of Students, this software can easily provide them all of the information that they require. They did offer me with 2 proposals that we could set up. We could set up the subscription for \$1500 and then there is another \$720 and \$500 fee for another add-on. This means upfront it would be \$2720 and then he was proposing we can spend this upfront and then that would be it. The problem with this one would be once I leave next year, I don't know if the next VP Finance would be able to pick this up. So what he then suggested is that every year we spend \$1200 to train the next person and to have 2 check-in's, 1 per semester to see how accounting is going to keep the next VP Finance accountable and to help them out. Actually no, sorry, this one is not for help this one is just for no help if we set it up one time and then just to keep the subscription for the accounting software. We would have to spend \$1800 after that if we want to stay partners with the accounting firm and have them help out the VP Finance and do the check-ins. So my question was, what do you guys think about that?

Bojana: I have a question, the \$2720 is what we would pay this year, and then moving forward it would be \$1200? So this year it would be \$2720 plus \$1200 plus \$1800?

Julia: So this is option 1, we upfront pay \$2720 and then once the next VP Finance comes in and they already know how to use Quickbooks, we would only need to pay \$1200 to check up the subscription for the year. This one over here is setting it up one time and then paying \$1800 on how to train the next VP Finance on how to use the accounting software and to check-in every semester to see how things are going, that's how they make money. Those are the 2 options they gave me.

Bojana: With the first option, if the next VP Finance knows how to use quickbooks, we can skip that cost right? Maybe we can change the transition period so you have time to train them on how to use software or do you think we should hire someone to train them?

Julia: I definitely think I could train them, I think it is worth a shot to start off conservative and then add costs if we need to.

Bojana: Okay. I am very curious to hear what everyone has to say about this, especially if anyone has any criticism. I know Alyna already has her hand raised though, so I will pass it onto her first.

Alyna: I just wanted to clarify the 2 different options and the prices but I'm okay, I think you did that already, Julia.

Bojana: I do want everyone to give their opinion on this so we can help Julia come to a decision.

Prerna: I don't know what your budget looks like for next year, if this is possible, and how everything will work out throughout the year, however, I do trust you and if you think that this is worth the investment then I agree with you. Plus if it means that the rest of the year and legacy of APSA will be smooth sailing, financial wise, and will make it easier for us to re-register as a student group, I think we should go for it.

Talia: From the perspective of my position, having some kind of software is a good idea because at the very least it organizes things better for our sponsors, RxA and Mint Health if we have very clear financial records. Plus keeps us organized and ensures that we are accountable for our finances. Just a question I have, are there more cost-effective options that would get us to the same place or is QuickBooks the best software? I think QuickBooks is unique in the sense that there is the potential for support, but I am just looking at it from a cost of alternative standpoint to see if there are any other hypothetical options.

Julia: From what I understand, it is similar to TurboTax, the tax software. It is supposed to be an easy one to get into for small business owners however, to be completely honest I have not had time to look at any other options or price check. All my time has been going towards this and working on the budget. I can look into other options, however, I would need time to research and compare and I don't think we have the luxury of time as I would need to purchase the system and have time to get comfortable with it before September. So you can see from this chart this is how much of the budget is allocated to each of our respective positions. Red means that it is not finalized. So currently, VP Finance traditionally uses 0.1% and with the addition of this software my percentage increases from 0.1% to 6%. It is a big jump, however, it will be a long-term investment and it ensures the future of our club. Also just looking at the chart, there are a lot of unknowns and ways we can cut back in other ways.

Talia: My partner's mom is an accountant so I can ask her what her thoughts are on QuickBooks and if she knows of any other systems that we can use. That way, we can still price check without you putting in that extra work and if she happens to know another system that is cheaper, she can help us out. Also, because this is online how do we access it?

Julia: It is all online and there is a cloud associated with it, similar to Google Drive. For example, if it dies one day, QuickBooks as a cloud so all of our receipts will be saved and it has storage so moving forward the next year's council can access all of the previous years' finances. I think it has 3 users and in my head it should just be the President and VP Finance who have login access. You can login from any computer as well I believe.

Talia: Okay that is an advantage if you can access it anywhere- that is exactly what my question was. I think that the direction we are going is really good, I think it is more so just a question if there are any other options we should explore before we commit.

Julia: I have another consultation tomorrow, and I can see if they have anything else to share. I have also reached out to UofA's accounting club but they have not gotten back to me yet. However, I will pass on any information that the accountant says to me tomorrow.

Prerna: I don't know if this will help but I have a meeting with Students Union VP External, Christian soon, and I can mention this to him and hopefully the UofA accounting club can get back to you sooner. Or maybe he will have another solution for us as he has been on SU for a while and has a lot of experience.

Julia: When is your meeting with him?

Prerna: It isn't confirmed yet, but would later on this week work?

Julia: I would say the earlier the better. As long as I have at least 1 month to figure out the software I should be

okay. Quickbooks does do a 3 month trial period, but we don't have that much time but I think I can get it done in a month.

Perna: Okay, I will message him as soon as this meeting is done and let you know Julia.

Julia: Perfect, thank you.

Bojana: I have one last thing to comment. But Talia, that was a really great question, this is exactly what Julia needed to feel more comfortable. Thank you Talia and Perna. Justine, I also want you to share your thoughts as VP Social gets a large portion of the budget.

Justine: Well, I agree with everything that Perna and Talia said. I also don't know anything about finances so I 100% trust Julia's judgment and financial opinion.

Bojana: Wait just to clarify you need a month Julia until you make a decision?

Julia: I need a month to get comfortable with the software. I would like to make a decision as quick as possible.

Bojana: Okay, am I fair then to assume that everyone here has trust in you, Julia. How about you take one week to think about it and to connect with Perna and Talia to look at other options. Do we all have confidence to support her in whatever decision she makes at the next meeting if she gives us an update on what she did that will be okay with everyone? Does that work and is everyone in agreement? Julia is that enough of a greenlight, do you have everything that you need from us? Okay, great.

Julia: Thank you everyone for trusting me.

Bojana: I have worked with Julia for a while now and I wholeheartedly trust everything she is doing and if we do have to make this hefty decision, I truly do think it will be in the best interest of APSA moving forward. I guess that's it for today's meeting and we shall readdress this at the next one in 2 weeks.

9. Additions to the Agenda:

10. Adjournment (9:05pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Julia Second: Perna