



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

1. **Call to order (7:11pm)**
2. **Roll call (2 min):** Julia, Justine, Talia, Mankirat, Tamara, Bojana, Jasmine, Prerna
3. **Additions to the agenda (1 min)**  
*Motion: To approve the agenda*  
**First: Talia Second: Jasmine**
4. **Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)**  
*Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes*  
**First: Jasmine Second: Tamara**

**New Business:**

5. **APSA Resources Discussion Continued- Alyna (15 mins)**  
*Motion: To move into Camera*  
**First: Alyna Second: Tamara**  
  
*Motion: To move out of Camera*  
**First: Alyna Second: Talia**
6. **VP Social Updates - Justine (15 mins)**

**Justine:** I have a couple of VP social updates that I wanted to share with you all and I really want this to be a genuine conversation so feel free to interrupt me at any time if you have any questions, concerns, or comments. I do have 3 topics that I want to talk about so Mint Cup, Blue and Gold, and our overarching EDI Events. So in terms of Mint Cup, the past few years have been super hectic because of COVID-19 and I personally have felt that we have lost what Mint Cup is all about. So I did meet up with Kit Poon recently as Mint Health is the sponsor of Mint Cup. I did have an honest conversation with him where I explained it from my perspective and I said that I have felt that Mint Cup has more so turned into winning prizes rather than bringing all 4 years of pharmacy students together. I'm not sure how you all feel, and I recognize and understand that it has been so hard with online school and COVID but I feel like people would just go to events or enter into prizes for the opportunity to win a giftcard, and I can honestly admit that I have been guilty about this too and it is not anyone's fault. Kit was quite sad to hear this as this was not what he originally wanted to see out of Mint Cup, however, I told him that I had a few ideas and that I was going to talk to my team and reconvene with how to fix this dilemma. So before I open the floor to everyone else, I just want to quickly go over my comments and ideas on how to address this issue. So the first thing is just having a Facebook group chat with all the Mint Cup leaders and ensuring that they are posting in their respective groups' Facebook pages. I can even provide outlines for them to post or just an outline of the weekly events so they can pass on the message to their teams. I also want to scratch the individual prize draws and have team draws instead to harbour teamwork and collaboration. So instead of if you win 10 Mint Cup points for your team you will be entered in a giveaway, it'll be if Team Blue wins 50 points throughout the month, their whole team will be entered in the giveaway. I still have to figure out the logistics of that because I don't want people who are not participating to get rewarded for their team's hard work so yeah, just an idea but I still need some planning and



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

organising to do. What do you all think about that? I would love to hear your thoughts and have a discussion as I am not 100% sure how I want to carry the Mint Cup moving forward.

**Tamara:** Honestly, I just want to start with that. I love your enthusiasm about this and I can see how excited and how much you care about your role, and that is just so awesome to see. In regards to it being individualistic, I do agree with that and I am guilty of it as well. I think the group chat is a great idea and it can help hold the leaders accountable if each week you are providing them a message to pass along. I think your ideas are great and I am excited to see what it looks like.

**Justine:** Thank you. Also, I am not sure if you guys remember but at the beginning of the year each group is responsible for making a team name and designing their own flag. I'm not sure how it worked in your groups, but for mine I remember I suggested a name and no one replied so we just went with that. I think the leaders also collaborated a lot but I'm not sure how much the entire team was involved. What I was thinking, was to make the design of the name and flag to be similar to the gingerbread contests that we have. We would all gather in ECHA or somewhere on campus, we give everyone some art supplies, and about 2 hours and then just see what the team comes up with. I hope this can encourage collaboration and as it will kick off the year and our social events I hope it can harbour some team spirit and enthusiasm.

**Talia:** That is a fantastic idea, it sounds like a ton of fun. . I personally don't remember my team even having a Facebook group if I am being honest. I would get the occasional email from our Faculty Representative, Jill Hall, but other than that I think it was pretty silent and dead. I think that the team leaders should be encouraged to initiate this right at the beginning of the school year

**Bojana:** Just a question regarding the team prizes, how would it work? Does everyone have to come out to the event to get points or are you going to make a cut-off of like 80% of the team has to attend? I think the more competition there is amongst the teams, the more people will come. However, I just don't want some team leaders to only get 2-3 people coming to each event and the whole team being rewarded. I know this is something that you mentioned and were considering, I just want us to think more about the logistics.

**Justine:** I have been considering and thinking about it, but I'm not going to lie, I haven't come up with a concrete solution, which is why I am here asking for everyone's opinion. For the Mint Cup flags, for the month of September, I think if your team collectively gets a certain amount of points then your whole group might get added to the raffle just because it's September. Then moving forward, maybe to discourage people who do not participate from being added to the raffle I will send out a Google Form to the Mint Cup leaders to add to their group chats and if you fill it out you get added to the raffle and if not you don't fill it out, you don't get added. I feel like this could work because in my experience, the people who don't participate typically do not even open the group chat anyways so they wouldn't even see a Google Form to fill out. What do you all think about that?

**Bojana:** Yeah that could work. I was mostly just worried about what the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years are going to look at. Our class always struggles with participation and I think the second years may also be a challenge as there has not been very much collective bonding between our years. I do not think we will have a problem with the incoming first years, as they will be so excited about getting into the program, and I know it is always hard for the fourth years as they are on rotation. I think that having certain incentives and measures to ensure that the competitive spirit is there will ensure that everyone is inclined to show up and participate. During the one-on-one debrief meetings, when I spoke about you, Prerna, and Jazzi collaborating on finding EDI measures among social events, do you 3 also want to meet up and collaborate on how to encourage participation between all 4 years? I think it might take more ground work and energy rather than just spending 10 minutes



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

on it during an executive meeting. What do you guys think about that? I also noticed that you all have very different ideas for EDI implementation into our social events so I thought it would be great for you to come and brainstorm together. All your ideas are great and unique so if we can incorporate all of them, I think we would be golden. Maybe you could communicate in a group chat and have this sort of streamlined to address these ideas rather than waiting every 2 weeks for the executive council's input. It can be a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Okay, I am seeing some thumbs up from all of you, this is just too easy for me. Also, I don't want to cut anyone else out of the conversation, so Mankirat, in your role if you think this is something that would be helpful feel free to join them as well, or anyone else who feels like their role contains a lot of event planning. I want you all to have the help and support that you need. If we can find a way to get everyone to come together, irrespective of their year, and have a sort of "crush everyone" spirit, I think that would be so much fun and I definitely want to see and experience that in my last year of pharmacy school.

**Justine:** Okay, great I think Bojana covered the EDI portion of what I wanted to say so that one is resolved for now. If anyone has any ideas about EDI just pass it along to me, Perna, or Jazzi. I am trying my best but truly do appreciate any support. So now moving onto my last agenda item- Blue and Gold. I want to see how everyone felt about it, honestly, and see what you liked, what you didn't like, what you want to see in the future, etc. The floor is open

**Talia:** Despite the venue being in the middle of nowhere it was a very pretty venue, I thought that it was very nice and it photographed very well. I think that the handling of the buffet line was less than ideal and if we go through that route again, we should have discussions on how to make it better. The food was okay, it wasn't amazing by any stretch, but it was okay. I liked that there was that upstairs space where you could hide away and get away from the noise and the dance floor. I have mostly good things to say, especially with how quickly it was put together on such short notice.

**Jasmine:** I had the exact same things to say as talia. I think the buffet part was a bit hectic and chaotic and I personally did not get to eat very much, but that was kind of my own fault as well. What happened is my friends and I went outside to take photos, and we did not realise that our table number got called. So eventually, when we made it back into the hall, we had to wait in line again and there weren't too many options at that point. Other than that, it was a fun night, it was nice to see faculty there, I loved the venue, I loved the photobooth and how we got access to both the original copies and the booth copies, and I think overall, everything was beautifully done. I also thought John and Jared did great with the MCing portion of the night, I love how we got access to the photos, the original and from the booth, and everything was beautifully done. I love how they MC'd. I was not on the social committee talking about the food. but I do know there were struggles with getting vegan and halal food choices so that is definitely something to be careful of for this year.

**Tamara:** I just wanted to mirror what everyone else said, the venue was really aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, I loved the photo ops as well so continuing to implement those and even add more if the budget and space permits. Adding props to the photobooths would be really cool such as the ones we had at PAM. I think having two bars was also good as it allowed us to space and spread out. Maybe some more diversity in music genres would be nice, I don't know how everyone else thought about that but something to discuss closer to the time. So yeah, outside of the buffet concerns, I think music was only my really other idea.

**Justine:** Yeah, I agree with that. I think that having a DJ that accepts song requests would be really nice.



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

**Julia:** This is my own personal option, not because I am VP finance. I personally did not go because it was quite expensive. I think the tickets were \$65 and then drink tickets were \$7-10 each. That is personally a lot for me and I think that a few other students found the same thing. That was only the one thing that made me not go to Blue and Gold this year.

**Bojana:** Yeah, there were some cost issues this year, and I know that the Faculty did take initiative to cover certain things for us. I do think that this needs to be a longer conversation than just this meeting though.

**Perna:** I think that everyone had good points. The only thing with the venue was that, I have a feeling that if we do it in the same place next year, students who did not like the venue would not come. I think having different activities or even a different layout in the same venue would work, otherwise I am scared that some people may find it repetitive. Also, in regards to the music, I do think that they were taking suggestions, but I think they were just too overwhelmed and did not have the opportunity to go through it all. Maybe forming a list prior to the event will help it be more organised.

**Tamara:** I also remember being confused about the theme. I know my friend group was super confused about Mission Impossible and we were not sure what the dress code would be. I think it also came out kind of at the last minute, after most people had already bought their dresses so it caused a little bit of panic and confusion.

**Alyna:** Yeah, I agree with what Tam is saying about the themes and everyone else's comments as well. I think next year, it would be nice for everyone to vote on the theme and keep everyone in the loop of the theme options so it is not just sprung on us at the last minute. Also, I just wanted to say that in the past, I know that they were quite rushed this year but I have heard that there are normally punch bowl contests and class competitions? I would love to see us bring back those traditions at Blue and Gold this year if possible.

**Justine:** Yes, that it is exactly what I was going to say, Alyna basically covered it. But normally a theme is picked and then each class has to make a skit and a specific punch that corresponds to the theme. That hasn't happened for the last couple of years but I do want to bring it back.

**Bojana:** I know that for a portion of the night in previous years they have also hired performers but with ours being so last minute we just had food and music. I think that what we had this year was pretty solid but I would love to revamp it and make it even better next year. I feel like this feedback was really good and with Justine having so much time to plan it can initiate these early on. Also, I do know that the venue we had this year was quite a bit more expensive than previous years, so that is something to keep in mind. Julia would have to run by the Blue and Gold budget and let us know how much we have to spend.

**Justine:** Yeah, looking at the budget and the ones from previous years, I don't know if we can afford to have one that is nicer or even as expensive as this years. But we shall cross that bridge once we get there. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know and send them my way.

## 7. Housekeeping for June Meetings - Alyna (5 mins)

**Alyna:** Okay so, I know that we mentioned that we wanted to change and or pick a new date and time at the start of each month to ensure that we can all make it to the meetings. I made a Google Form for everyone to vote on, I'll put it in the chat just give me one moment. First, I just want to thank you all for coming to all the May meetings even though most of us were on rotation, I know for myself, I was so exhausted at the end of



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

each day so I do really appreciate it. I am assuming that we want to have them in the evenings again in June? I am more flexible because I'm not on rotation so anytime after 6pm would work for me on a weekday. Any objections to this time or does anyone need it later?

**Julia:** I would prefer having it earlier if possible, but we can also do it later

**Perna:** Since I am in Ponoka, I'm not quite sure what time I will get home at everyday but I can always just call from the car like I am today

**Justine:** I think 7pm would work better for me, 6pm is cutting it close

**Julia:** Okay, 7pm works

**Bojana:** Yeah, I do agree with the later the better for those on rotation to give them some time to catch a breath before hopping onto a call. However, I want to be fair to everyone and for those of you who prefer it earlier than 7pm and are unable to make it, don't worry Alyna and I will debrief you after!

**Alyna:** Oh yeah, just let us know if you are unable to attend and I can update you with everything we discussed. So it looks like the 2 most popular days in the forum are Mondays and Tuesday evenings, they are both tied at 7 votes each. Does anyone have a preference between these 2 dates?

**Justine:** Anytime there is not an Oilers game is the best time for me

**Alyna:** Okay perfect, so biweekly either on Monday or Tuesday at 7pm and I will work around the Oilers Playoffs schedule. Does that work for everyone? Does anyone have any questions or comments? Hm okay, if not Bojana I shall pass it back over to you.

## **8. Additions to the Agenda:**

### **a. Debrief on 1 vs. 1 meetings- Bojana (2 minutes)**

**Bojana:** The last thing I wanted to talk about before I let you all go, was a quick debrief on how our one-on-one meetings went. Firstly, I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to meet with me. These meetings were all very genuine, vulnerable, and valuable. I am excited for everyone to make changes to their positions, carry on their positions legacy, and re-invent their own traditions that they want to carry out. I know we talked about how as a collective and then individually we were all going to do some EDI training, so after tomorrow I will add some resources to the Google Drive. There is one specific module that I have talked to everyone about doing and hopefully we can chip away at it over the summer, before school starts. I think it will be valuable for us to have little EDI group discussions on how things are going throughout the year and then if we hear feedback from students we can bring it back here and brainstorm how we can make our roles more equitable and inclusive. With some of you, it was emphasised that we have to put in quite a lot of effort to ensure that all students feel comfortable, safe, and welcome because there have been specific barriers to this in the past. I am really happy and excited to see how this resonates with the team. I just wanted to let everyone know that this is what we talked about. As I told every single one of you, please reach out to me, talk to me, and I am here for support if it is needed. I know some of you are already teaming up with one another which I love to see and I am just super excited for our council term and everything that we are going to accomplish together. And with that, if there are no further questions or comments I will make a motion to adjourn.



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
May 30th, 2022 @7pm  
Via Google Meets

**9. Adjournment (8:09pm)**

***Motion:*** To adjourn

**First: Jasmine Second: Talia**