



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. **Call to order** (5:04pm)
2. **Roll call** (2 min): Alyna, Perna, Talia, Julia, Justine, Mankirat, Bojana, Jasmine
 - a. **Regrets:**
3. **Additions to the agenda** (1 min)
Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Talia Second: Jasmine
4. **Minutes of the last meeting** (1 min)
Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Jasmine Second: Julia

New Business:

5. ACP Fundraising Opportunities - Talia (10 minutes)

Talia: There isn't too much of an update in regards to my fundraising stuff, to be completely honest. Jenna, on ACP, is our main point of contact and right now we are just trying to figure out how things were done between APSA and ACP collaborations in the past. The big thing this year were our collaborations with ACP during PAM which was held over lunch and learns. They are open to participating in lunch and learns again, but after speaking to Greg, the Registrar, his primary focus is on quality over quantity. For example, he doesn't care if we fill a lecture hall full of people, he would rather have quality discussions that are valuable to us as students. They conveyed that they are open to sponsoring smaller events that are of larger quality. Also, they mentioned a few weeks ago that they want to have a meeting with ACP leadership and us. They are planning for early morning on May 17th, as the president and president elect are both in Edmonton which is not a common occurrence. I know some of us have work or rotations during the day, however, we cannot push it to the evening as they have an event in the evening. So yeah, early morning on the 17th and presumably held in person in the ACP Office for those of us who are able to attend. They mentioned that they have just bought some new technology so they might be able to offer a hybrid option for those of us who are unable to attend in person. I kind of just wanted to gauge your thoughts and see who would be available on the 17th to attend.

Tamara: I know some of us have their rotations in May, and for myself personally I will be working Monday to Friday from 8:00-4:15pm in Medicine Hat. I was just wondering if it is possible with their new camera equipment you mentioned to request a recording for those who are unable to attend in person or live online? If they can't, that's totally okay, just throwing out the idea but I will for sure be unable to make it to Edmonton that day unfortunately.

Talia: That's totally okay if you cannot make it. This meeting isn't really structured and it is more of an informal meet and greet thing. I did mention to them that there is a possibility that some of us may be unable to attend due to placements, work, and just life. I know they mentioned that they can have another meeting in September but this is just for some basic ground work and to get things going. I can see if we can record it, and if not, I can always provide an update to the exec's who cannot make it. But basically those are all the updates from me, May 17th early morning, ACP office in person- if you can make it. I will confirm with Jenna and see if there are any other updates but that is it from me for now in regards to ACP. Just quickly while everyone is here, I can also provide an RxA update too. I have not had a chance to meet with Ali Damani yet, however, we do know each other and can recognize each other by face. I hope John can tag along in our first meeting as he



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

is more familiar with how things work with RxA and the system they follow. The biggest thing with RxA that they made very clear to me is that they want to ensure and make it very clear that they are the sponsors of the events. Also, they want their fundraising to go towards material things and not for example, lunch and learn pizza. That's all I have right now and I have not had an opportunity to fully transition over with John.

Bojana: Just to clarify, can you explain what you mean when you say material things?

Talia: Oh yes of course, so for example, if we are having an event with prizes, they do not want their sponsorship money to be going to giftcards or the prizes. They would rather have it go to tangible items we need for the event

Bojana: Sorry again to clarify, they are willing to sponsor the material aspects to uphold and have an event seen through vs. them sponsoring the door prizes and food? Do they want prizes and food to come out of APSA's personal budget rather than them?

Talia: That is the impression I got, but I am meeting with them soon and will hopefully have clarification and more information to share with you all. It is very easy for things to get lost in translation but I am pretty sure when I say that they want to make it clear that RxA is responsible for the sponsorship. Their main goal is ensuring that students know what exactly RxA does and how they support the pharmacy profession.

Mankirat: Just further speaking on RxA, I know when I met with Alyssa she said that they wanted to sponsor events that benefit a large number of students vs. smaller events. For example, with the wellness events lots of people came and took advantage of these and it seems like they are more willing to sponsor these events vs. lunch and learns which are on a smaller scale.

Talia: Yeah exactly, so it seems like ACP and RxA's priorities are different. RxA wants to get their name out there as a lot of students do not know what RxA does. ACP is not in opposition when it comes to bigger events but if Greg was to prioritize, the events would be smaller, more productive, and have opportunities to connect with us rather than filling a lecture hall. When it comes to lunch and learns, ACP does not have a problem with those but I just think their priority is more so on student-ACP bonding and building relationships.

Bojana: Thanks Talia. Is anyone currently aware if they can or cannot make it on May 17th?

Talia: Yes, I did want to get a sense of everyone's availability. I understand that some of us may not know what we are doing on May 17th with our various work schedules or their placement hours, but does anyone for sure know if they can or cannot make it?

Alyna: Yeah, just echoing what Tamara said previously I am also on my rotation during May at the Grey Nuns hospital. My hours are 8:00-4:15pm as well so I will 100% not be able to attend in person at the ACP office, but if there is a livestream, I may be able to attend during a lunch break? Also, I can of course watch the recording later if that is an option, but I for sure will not be able to attend during the day time on the 17th in person.

Talia: Yeah, I did suggest that evening time at maybe 6:30pm would work better for us, however, they already have an event in the evening. No worries about your rotation though Alyna.

Tamara: Yeah, just reiterating with the afternoon time slot, I will most likely not be there due to my hospital placement.



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

Talia: That is fair.

Justine: Unfortunately, I have work that day so I cannot make it either.

Talia: Okay, no worries, I am going to start writing your names down.

Mankirat: I will also not be able to make it as I will be out of town during this time.

Talia: Not a problem, we can try to make the 17th work, and if too many people are absent I will try to reschedule even though it is an intro getting to know us type of meeting. I don't think there will be any serious information being shared and it is more so of an introductory email.

Bojana: I am available on the 17th but Julia and I are the only Class of 2024 members who are able to attend. Would we be open to have a meeting later on in the summer or even in September when more people are available?

Talia: I can definitely discuss that with Jenna and will let you all know.

Tamara: Also, is this meeting only open to APSA Executives?

Talia: Yes it is only for APSA Executive Council.

Bojana: I know for myself, I can make it in person on May 17th. If it is something later in the summer, I am not 100% sure if I will be able to as my summer plans are a bit all over the place right now. However, I am sure if I cannot make it in person I would be able to hop online and attend.

Talia: Okay, thanks for that. Well that's all from me and the extent of the updates I have so far.

Bojana: Perfect, I think we can move onto the next agenda item if no one else has anything else to add.

6. EDI Concerns in APSA - Bojana (10 minutes)

Bojana: Personally, this past year when I was not on APSA council and even as the president elect I saw a lot of knowledge gaps and issues with inclusivity in APSA, pharmacy culture, and the Faculty as a whole. I have been someone who has been very vocal about these issues since I started my schooling in undergrad and it is very near and dear to my heart. I personally lead all my actions and decisions based on my values and I really do take this seriously. As the president of LGBTQ+ PhSc, Raymond, who is president of BPSA, overlooked the entire constitution of APSA and added some things that were necessary and foundational. There will be more changes coming in the years as well. Several of these constitution changes that we made fall in several of your executive roles.

For example, Mankirat I want there to be heavy emphasis on VP Student Services being the chair of the Health and Wellness Committee and I want there to be more of an emphasis on ableism, ways we can learn about this, advocate for it, and find ways to support patients who suffer from ableism which is unfortunately rampant in the health care community. Tamara, for VP Academic, there definitely needs to be a whole creation and



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

figuring out of reporting systems and finding ways to navigate this as an example. For Jazzi, Justine, and Perna for certain social events we definitely need to revisit curating words, articulations, and sensitivities regarding the different groups who are influenced by some of the things that we are talking and advocating about. For example, this year, lots of attention was given to HIV and there were blood donations but we didn't talk about the roots of homophobia and the continuous stigma and discrimination that queer men and trans masculine folks experience with blood donations and HIV. Also, we did not discuss why the stigma for HIV and AIDS is different from the stigma against the other STI's.

It is not my intention to throw this onto anyone individually or to stress anyone out and I can and will support you all however you need me to. I do not want to overstep either but I will support you in whatever you all need. That being said, this is very important to me and I think I made this clear and the expectations I have for this council when I was campaigning for president. Those are just little caveats and ideas and I have quite a few more ideas for everyone else including myself. I am personally going to take on more when it comes to the president role, and I want to do more than just attend meetings and get into event planning as well. I am doing some of my own things and would love to see if anyone in their respective positions wants to tag along. I know there are lots of knowledge gaps in the Faculty and APSA and from my experience there is a lot of distrust and misinformation and lots of students disliking APSA for a lot of these reasons and I don't want anyone to shy away from these things and the concerns you hear from other students. I think when you critique the group you're a part of, you can find tangible ways to mitigate these things and make a much more safe and inclusive space. This is one of my tendons as president and I want to support you all. I'm not sure how other presidents did it in the past, I know in this role, we attend a lot of meetings and speak on behalf of the entire student body and we do not have much of a say in event planning. However, I really like to take on leadership roles. Learning about this and challenging your beliefs is not the easiest thing to do but it is in the best interest of the entire student body. I like to support learning and I do it in a very safe manner as it can be uncomfortable, as it is an uncomfortable journey. Alyna and Tamara can speak on behalf of this and I also worked with Jazzi last semester.

I don't want to get into anything too concrete today but I do want to challenge every single one of you to think about your own critique, how the role you carry has traditionally been done, and think about ways and ideas you have on how it can be improved for the queer, black, brown, trans, disabled, chronically ill, indigenous students etc the list can go on. I do think that starts with us being clear and transparent about how there is a lot of work for us to do. We have been handed a legacy that does not think about these students and I want us to do it with sincere intention and sensitivity and recognize that we may not get it right the first time and we will make many mistakes. I hope we can learn and grow and change aspects of the constitution where applicable, so the folks coming after us can carry on and make pharmacy a safer place moving forward. I say safer, not safe because I don't think it will ever be fully safe and that is the nature of the beast in our society. Also, do not be afraid to disagree with me. I really welcome and love discussion and like to know where people are coming from. I have a lot of reasons for where I am coming from that I do not want to get into right now. If you ever want to start conversations that way, definitely hit me up, I would love to engage in dialect.

However, for now, does everyone understand what I said and the things I am encouraging you all to ponder on until our next meeting? I want to hear from you all at the next meeting on ways to incorporate more inclusive aspects to each of our respective roles and how we can work together and collaborate. I do believe that there is strength in numbers and you can be surprised by how much we can grow and accomplish when we look at things from a different angle and perspective. I do not want anyone to think that they are alone, and you can always come to me. If you want me to be the first person you come to, I am absolutely okay with that. We can all set our own expectations and boundaries regarding our schedules and ensure that we're not overly stressed



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

and prioritising other things over our mental health- we are students first and foremost. Perna and Talia will be in second year next year, and we all know how heavy the content is, hopefully third year will be much more relaxed and we can pick up some of the slack. Okay thank you for listening to me go on one of my passionate discussions, if there are no questions or comments we can move onto the next agenda item.

7. Summer Retreat - Bojana (3 minutes)

Bojana: The summer retreat is something that I am responsible for planning for the entire General Council. The past 2 years have both been online due to COVID but this year, I have a choice if I want to do it online or in person. I definitely had the intentions of doing it in person but I wanted to see everyone's opinion before any dates are chosen and gauge interest in who wants to do it in person, who doesn't care, who wants it hybrid and or online. I guess I'll open the floor to everyone now that I did my mini preamble. I want to get a sense of what everyone wants, I do not want to choose alone.

Julia: Personally, all I know about the summer retreat is that it is for the General Council, but I was just wondering what the purpose of the summer retreat is?

Bojana: The summer retreat is for team bonding and getting to know each other. It is supposed to be super fun. One of the things I implemented in the constitution and I hope to see continue was for everyone involved in APSA to do a bare minimum amount of EDI workshop training. So I wanted to bring someone in to teach us about anti-racist, anti-colonial, trans positive etc. bare basics for us to understand terminology and all of us to get a general idea. And then after this, it will all be just fun. Normally there is food involved and we can maybe go to a park, rent out a place, etc. Last year it was online so when I was talking to Garrett he was not sure about the budget and he said to talk to you, Julia, as VP finance. We may have to look into previous years in the transition documents and hopefully they laid out a plan for us, this is definitely something we'll need to look further into. But yeah, the point of it is to have fun, meet everyone, bond as a collective, and kick off the in-person school year, fingers crossed. I think this is why I was drawn to the in-person thing. I am hoping events are in person next year and hopefully this can be the first way we can boost the morale of all students. It would be nice if we get to know each other in person but if we can't and it has to be online we can do something informally as well just to get to know each other, I totally do not have an issue with that. Does that answer your question, Julia?

Julia: Yes, and I just have a quick follow-up question, when was it last year?

Bojana: Last year it was August, August 14th, I believe, right before orientation which was the weekend of August 26th-28th. I don't really care when it is, personally, but that is how and when it is traditionally carried out.

Julia: Is August the best month to have it in? I know for my portfolio I have to work with everyone throughout the summer and communicate with everyone on what their budget is. The budget dictates how everyone will carry out their work. When I hear mid August, I kind of wish it was earlier, but those are just my quick thoughts. This will probably make more sense when I get to my section of the meeting as well and explain how I need to work with you all.

Bojana: Just to make sure I understand you Julia, you personally think it would be the most beneficial to you if you had the opportunity to meet and bond with everyone earlier and then go on to do your financial work?



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

Julia: Yeah, it would be nice and it will make more sense when we get to my section so we can revisit this but those were just my quick thoughts that I wanted to share with the group.

Bojana: Traditionally, it is always done in August, and looking at the previous year's summer retreats I never considered having it any earlier. Realistically, I don't know when we can do it earlier due to all of our rotations. First years have 2 blocks, in May and June but our class has 4 blocks scattered throughout May-July and there are 47 of us in 2nd year on the council. So with this late notice I am not sure how this would work or if it is even feasible. Maybe we can set up something informally earlier in the summer to get to know each other and whoever can attend can attend and we can kind of get to know each other that way? Then we can have the summer retreat as it normally is in August? From my understanding, the two main events we have for ourselves on APSA Council is the summer retreat to kick off the year and then the year-end council dinner to conclude the year. That's where I am coming from.

Julia: Makes sense, thanks.

Bojana: If you have more concerns or questions for specific counsellors, definitely let me know and reach out. I totally see where you're coming from and we can maybe re-visit this in a year and make constitution additions if needed. I know Tamara had her hand up too if we want to pass it onto her.

Tamara: I was just going to ask what the summer treat was but I think you answered this with Julia's first question so I am okay.

Bojana: Cool, okay, with that being said I want to do a little poll on who wants it in person, hybrid, online, etc. I don't need y'all to physically raise your hands but just press the raise hand function for whichever option you prefer.

Alyna: Wait, can you explain what the hybrid option would look like? Do you mean that the training sessions would be online and then team bonding would be in-person?

Bojana: So my idea for hybrid is that we can have the educational portion online via zoom and then in the evening or later in the afternoon we can do something in person for team bonding. For example, we can book a picnic site at Hawrelak for the afternoon and get to know each other in person. So in the morning there would be educational stuff online and we can chat and then see each other in the afternoon. When I say online, this means that it would be fully online, the educational aspect and the fun stuff. If the majority want it online, maybe we could have it over zoom and then we can break out into smaller breakout rooms for the team bonding stuff. And then, in person would be both the educational aspect and the fun stuff. Now thinking about it, maybe hybrid would be the best just because for the educational piece we'd have to book a venue which Alyna and I can talk about but yeah, those are my quick 2 cents if you all want to vote now.

So raise your hand if you want it all in-person.

Okay, thanks, please lower your hands now.

Okay, now those of you who want it hybrid.

Okay, and lastly who would want it online only?



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

Alyna: Like I would prefer in person, but I would be comfortable with hybrid or online as well to accommodate for more people.

Bojana: Oh, I just want you all to vote on which option you prefer at this moment as your top choice.

Alyna: Oh okay, never mind.

Tamara: I also wanted to double check, is it an all day thing?

Bojana: Yeah, it would be an all-day thing. My time-line if we had it in person at the park was to do the educational session in the afternoon and then the picnic in the evening. I wasn't really considering morning, but if everyone wants morning that would work too. I would have to double check park rentals and see what times are even available, of course. If I can make it in person, that would be great and if hybrid is preferred, that would be great too and I think everyone would be okay with that. I also want to consider a location that is inclusive to everyone's wants and needs. For example, I don't think it would be ideal to have it at a bar or a party scene just because I want to consider those who do not drink or do not like the party vibes. I really want everyone to be able to make it, have fun, get to know each other and most importantly, I want everyone to be comfortable. I am going through different ideas of things we can do, pending a budget from Julia. If anyone has any ideas they would like to propose or have any suggestions or concerns please let me know.

Julia: Yes, we can look at the budget later this week to get a rough estimate.

Bojana: Sounds good, I think we can move onto the next agenda item if no one has anything else to say then.

8. Updates from VP Finance- concerns, challenges, a proposal - Julia (10 minutes)

Motion: To move into Camera

First: Alyna Second: Prerna

Motion: To move out of Camera

First: Alyna Second: Mankirat

9. Housekeeping and planning for the summer- Bojana and Alyna (3 minutes)

Alyna: Okay, so Bojana and I wanted to get an idea on how you all want to meet moving forward over the summer. Typically, executive council meetings bi-weekly, but with it being summer I don't know what everyone's plans are. I kind of wanted to hear your thoughts on continuing to meet bi-weekly or if you all just wanted to have as needed meetings or if someone has something pertinent to discuss? I'll open the floor up to everyone's opinion.

Julia: Yeah, so hopefully Slack might help out with that because the whole idea of it is that we can keep the workflow going and it may help us not have formal meetings.

Bojana: Personally, I think it will still be good for us to have meetings to verbalize our thoughts but I do think Slack will help us be more efficient and it should hopefully cut down on meeting times. Looking at this previous year and the council, the meetings were not long at all and there is a lot of work for us to do. I do not want us



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

to not talk about things and we are in a position now to pick up some of these pieces that were unchecked. I think using Slack and regularly checking in is important as well as us continuing the bi-weekly meetings. That's just my opinion but I will let Tamara go now.

Tamara: I was just going to suggest and am curious to hear everyone else's thoughts but maybe we can have meetings as needed while placements are happening and then resume them bi-weekly closer to the academic year and make them more regular? Let me know what your thoughts are on that.

Bojana: I do think personally that it is important and best that we meet regularly, even during rotations. That being said, I am not going to force anyone to come if they are tired, have plans, or need a break- so if anyone cannot make it, that is totally okay. But I do think it is important to have these meetings regularly set. I personally, do not know how the meetings would run without Alyna present and I am not sure how ethical that would be but something we can look further into. Should we do informal ones?

Alyna: Yeah, I do think that for the meeting to run, I would have to double check the constitution because I am not sure off the top of my head, but I think I would need to be there to do the recording and meeting minutes and then Bojana, I think you as president, would need to be there as well. I think we can do something similar to this week where I put a poll out there and then majority of the people who can attend can attend and also keeping in mind who has agenda items to discuss. Like for this week, we adjusted our schedules around Talia and Bojana as they had the biggest updates so I think that might work going forward. If that works with everyone else of course.

Tamara: Yeah, the polls are kind of what I meant when I said as needed meetings. Like I think we should have regular meetings and then choose a date each week and not have them consistently on Monday's from 5-6pm for example. More flexible scheduling is kind of what I meant when I said as needed meetings.

Alyna: Yeah, that would work for me, I can send out a poll each week and we can see what day of the week and time works the best if that is what you all prefer?

Bojana: Honestly, I might be the outlier here, but I think I need a schedule and I know if I do not have a set date in mind for which days our meetings are going to be, I am going to accidentally double book myself. I have so many meetings right now so I would prefer knowing in advance which date to keep free and then we can pick a time closer to the meeting. I can't keep my whole week open just to see what we're doing to do a week in advance.

Alyna: Okay, no worries at all, Bojana. Should we pick a tentative date then? I can make a poll right after this and we can pick a day of the week.

Bojana: If that works for everyone, that would be ideal for me. We can at least try this out over the summer and see what works and what doesn't. That is the nice thing about summer is we can kind of find our groove before the academic school year starts. Slack might help this or hinder this and I know everyone has different workloads on their plate and we have to see what is most feasible for everyone. Is anyone against this?

Tamara: Yeah, we can try this out and see how it goes. I am really good for whatever and whatever the majority wants.

Bojana: I just know that Alyna and I really need to come to the meetings, not that I would ever prioritize



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

anyones attendance over someone else but just logistically for the meetings to run. Out of fairness with both of our schedules, I think having a day out of the week would be the best. Also, if you truly cannot make it, that is totally fine and we can update each other on Slack and there will always be Alyna's recording and meeting minutes to catch up on as well. In regards to General Council meetings, I do not think we need to have them over the summer and these can be on an as needed basis. But executives, I think there still needs to be the bi-weekly aspect.

Tamara: Just a question, I know there might be differences month to month, for example, when you and Mankirat start your rotations, in block 3, your schedules may be different than it is right now. Would it be possible to check in at the beginning of each month to pick a day out of the week that works with everyone? Just to make sure that it still works with the majority.

Bojana: Yeah, that is a good idea, so much happens over the summer, I think choosing a day at the beginning of the month would be a good solution to that. We can choose a day leading up the month that works best for everyone and then change it accordingly.

Alyna: Yeah, I can do that. I can make a poll right after the meeting and we can figure it out from there. Also, in regards to the General Council, I do not think we need to have them bi-weekly as we do in the school year. I know last year, as a member of APSA's General Council, meetings did not start until the first week of September. Executive meetings are definitely necessary bi-weekly in my opinion, but I think that the General Council can wait a bit.

Bojana: Yeah, I agree General Council meetings are more so for check-ins in my eyes, so I agree with that plan.

Julia: Alyna, I actually just made a poll in Slack actually.

Alyna: Oh, thank you, how do I get on Slack? I'm sorry, I've never used this platform before.

Julia: No worries, I am sending out email invitations right now and I can explain more off-line.

Alyna: Thanks so much Julia.

Bojana: Okay perfect, I think that was all from us. I know that this was a longer meeting than I expected, and I appreciate everyone's time and energy. I genuinely do believe that if we invest a lot of time and energy over the summer we will be in a great position moving forward, for the academic school year. Are there any other housekeeping items, Alyna?

Alyna: I think that is it. Oh yes, and it will be online via Google Meets for the summer and then when we go back into the school year we can revisit the idea of in-person or online meetings.

Bojana: Yes, definitely online for the summer. I understand that this might have been an overwhelming meeting but I really do want to say that I appreciate all of you so much. Does anyone else have any other housekeeping items or anything else that they want to bring up? Thank you so much for staying on, I know that Alyna and I are really appreciative of it. I am super happy that everyone understands what is going on and that we're all very clear of the expectations I have. If anyone is feeling nervous or anxious please feel free to reach out to myself or Alyna.



APSA Committee Meeting
April 27th, 2022 @5:00pm, online via Google Meets

Alyna: Yes, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I will most definitely be needing everyone's help with learning how to use Slack.

Bojana: Okay perfect, thank you so much once again everyone, I will see you all at the next meeting.

10. Additions to the Agenda:

11. Adjournment (6:55pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Julia **Second:** Prerna