



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

1. **Call to order (6:34pm)**
2. **Roll call (2 min):** Julia, Tamara, Jasmine, Bojana, Talia
 - a. Regrets: Mankirat, Perna, Justine
3. **Additions to the agenda (1 min)**
Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Tamara Second: Jasmine
4. **Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)**
Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Tamara Second: Talia

New Business:

5. **APSA Resources Discussion- Alyna (10 mins)**
Motion: To move into Camera
First: Alyna Second: Tamara

Motion: To move out of Camera
First: Alyna Second: Talia
6. **Councillor and President meetings (expectations and EDI expectations)- Bojana (20 mins)**

Bojana: Okay, so the first thing that I wanted to discuss with everyone was having one-on-one meetings with all the APSA councillors, including both the General Council and Executive. I want to have these meetings to go over your role, the expectations I have and what I want to see changed and or continued as president, and how I can support you during the term. I already had my meeting with Alyna so she can speak on this as well. I really want to know everyone's perceived strengths, weaknesses, what you are and are not comfortable doing, and your boundaries. For example, if you absolutely will not speak in front of the whole class I want to know that. Or conversely, if speaking in front of the whole class is something that stresses you out or one of your fears, but you are open to growing and expanding in this area, I would like to know so overtime I can give you more responsibilities in this area. I want everyone here to gain valuable, transferable leadership skills during my council term. Of course only share what you are comfortable with, but the main goal of this conversation is to assess and hear everyone's strengths, weaknesses, and how I can personally support them. I very much want to support everyone here and I would never ask you to do something that you were uncomfortable with and then leave you hanging. I want these meetings to be less than an hour if possible, and back to back would be nice so I can get them all done in a timely manner as I have lots of other meetings outside of APSA coming up as well. I will try to make a Doodle Poll so everyone can input their availability and I want these meetings to be done as soon as possible prior to me delegating you with little tasks. Lastly, I wanted to find a time to talk about each of your EDI initiatives rather than talking about it in a big group meeting as that would take forever and I want to give each role my undivided attention. So look out for that Doodle Poll and please respond as soon as you can so we can start scheduling these meetings. I honestly don't think it will take more than an hour- maybe 15 minutes can be strengths and weaknesses and then 15 minutes on EDI initiatives. Does anyone have any questions or concerns before I continue onto the next agenda item?



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

Alyna: I don't have a question, I just wanted to say that I can help you create that Doodle Poll too if you are unsure how to, I don't mind at all.

Bojana: Perfect, thank you so much Alyna- you're really out here saving my life.

Alyna: No worries Bojana

7. Team communication expectations and creating a working document- Bojana (7 mins)

Bojana: One thing that Alyna and I spoke about was creating a document on our expectations as a team and running through these ideas right now in the summer, prior to the school year starting. We just want to go over the basics of how we want to run as a team and a checklist of expectations when it comes to communicating with each other so we can run as smoothly as possible. For example, one thing I want to see is proactive communication. If you cannot make a meeting, please let Alyna or I know as soon as possible or let someone else on the team know so they can relay this information to us. We understand that life happens and we don't need to know specifics of why you are unable to make it, if that is not something you are comfortable with- I personally understand that very well as someone with a chronic disability, communication can be challenging. We respect everyone's right to privacy but just letting us know would be greatly appreciated. I know Alyna has not been able to get everyone to rely on her polls, and that is something that we do not want to see going forward as she makes these polls to make decisions on behalf of all of us, so we really do need your feedback. If you have stuff going on in your life, that is totally okay, but once again just let Alyna know so she is not wondering why you are not replying to the polls and needing to chase you down. Some of us may be experiencing burn out right now and may just need a breather. If this is something that you are experiencing let Alyna or I know, and we can follow-up with you once you are feeling better. I do want to open the floor because I want to make this a working document for all of us so we can each individually feel heard and seen. We will be moving forward as a team, and before we even get started I wanted to go over some ground rules. So I am just wondering what kind of expectations everyone has? I will start off with Alyna because she is first off on my screen. And also, if you don't feel comfortable sharing now, that is okay, you can pass and take some time to think about it, I don't want anyone to feel pressured.

Alyna: Yeah, just to reiterate what Bojana was saying, I think that the most important thing in my position is constant communication. I have been struggling to get participation on my polls on both Facebook and Slack- and while I understand that it's summer and everyone also has their own lives going on I would really appreciate if you could take a minute to vote in my polls, or let me know if you can't, so I am not confused and needing to constantly follow-up with people.

Jasmine: The biggest thing for my position is to let me know if you are planning any social events in March as it is PAM- or you could also let Alyna know as well. This is just to ensure that we don't overbook and I know PAM is already going to be hectic with all of the CAPSI and IPSF events. One thing I want to work on is if I see a message and I am unable to reply, I would like to just react to their message on Facebook so they know that I saw it and I will get back to them shortly. I think that this is helpful to close that communication gap.

Bojana: That is a really good one jazzi

Tamara: In my position, I guess the biggest thing is effectively communicating with one another. I do not have any particular ideas for the document at this current moment but a little thumbs up on Facebook makes the other person feel heard and is a great idea. Also, since this is a working document, we can always add to it and continuously check back in with one another.



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

Talia: The first and biggest one for me is making sure that when you are doing something or planning something, everyone involved is at least cc'd in all relevant conversations and email threads. This will ensure that we are all on the same page and nothing is a major surprise. And then just the expectation that this is a safe space. I want to be free to disagree with anyone without any hard feelings, we can keep things civil, and work through our differences in a constructive manner.

Bojana: Yes, Talia, that is a good one, thank you, I completely forgot to bring that up. I want there to be space for disagreements where we can talk through things together. I want it to be a completely professional space where we all have the implicit expectations that we have respect for one another, respect each other's voices and opinions, and embrace conflict resolution in a good way. I think that disagreements are bound to happen and having this openness is very important. If any issues continue to arise however, or if anyone is uncomfortable with something that is said of course bring it up to me and we can have a one-on-one conversation.

Julia: Actually, I think I would like to take some more time to think about my response if that is okay. If we have the working document, I can see where we're at and add my two cents and insight at that point.

Bojana: Of course Julia, take your time. I think that's everything I wanted to talk about in regards to this document then. So we can work on it throughout summer, read it, and sign our names at the end of summer, prior to the school year, so we are all aware of what we agreed on.

8. Weekly meetings with Student Services - Bojana (3 minutes)

Bojana: Last year was the first council to do this, but they had weekly meetings with Student Services. I attended these in the second half of the year and I know Jazzi did as well so she knows how these work. I personally thought that these meetings were super helpful and very valuable. Garrett also said that he found them to be very helpful and he recommended that we continue with them. Ravina and Anjela were the ones we would meet with and they expressed to me that they really enjoyed working with APSA on a weekly basis. It was super nice to not have to continuously email them as we could bring up any concerns or questions to the meeting the next week. These meetings also helped resolve any disagreements or conflict resolution that needed their input. I would personally like to move forward with these meetings, however, I did want to open the floor to see if anyone had any questions or comments before we commit to them. Okay, I don't see any hands. Last year we did these during the noon lunch hour. Alyna, can you take a look at everyone's schedules and see when the best time is that works for both the 2nd and 3rd years schedules and then forward this information to Anjela or Ravina?

Alyna: Yes, I can do that.

Bojana: I think our Google Calendars should be coming out soon but not too sure Alyna do you know by any chance?

Alyna: I think Brenda Oscroft normally does that in August and we should all have a copy to all of the year's timetables as we are on the Executive Council. Once those are out I can find a time that works for us all. I don't want to base it off the Beartracks schedule just in case because I know the Google Calendar is more reliable. Is it okay if we wait until August to get that figured out then? The meetings wouldn't start until September anyways.



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

Bojana: Yes, that is perfect, thank you Alyna.

Alyna: No worries.

9. Additions to the Agenda:

a. Finance Update - Julia (10 mins)

Julia: I was not prepared to give an update so what information will be helpful for everyone?

Bojana: I think it would be beneficial for you to just give us a debrief on how the last 2 weeks have been for you finance wise and if there is anything you need for us to help you with. Alyna and I also noticed that you added your partner as VP Events as one of the documents and we just wanted to check up on that.

Julia: Oh that was just for template purposes, I can get rid of that if it is an issue. I totally understand and did not intend on causing any confusion.

Bojana: Maybe just making a note so people don't think he is a newest APSA council member would be helpful.

Julia: For sure, I can do that right after this meeting, so sorry about that.

Bojana: Oh no worries at all, there is nothing to apologise for, we just wanted to see where your head was at because we know that you are very good at being proactive and announcing what your plan is. I just wanted to know where your head was at because I know last week was super stressful, and I wanted to check-in and see if there is anything we need to change moving forward.

Julia: I recognize that the biggest challenge financial wise we had this year and that future councils will experience is insurance. I think that it is personally risky for 2 people to have access to all of APSA's bank accounts and we do not know which 2 people we're going to get or what their intentions behind it are. Of course we'd like to think that everyone elected in these positions are here for the right reasons, but still I think to prevent any incidents and to ensure that we are being held accountable we may have to change that moving forward. The second problem is that I want to increase the return on investments as the feedback I received was that students who bought APSA memberships did not feel like they were getting their \$250 worth. My current plan is to tackle this head on and go through and validate all of our financial activities, go through the historical budget and record their monetary values, and I am currently in the process of asking everyone to request a budget and have a one-on-one meeting with them. I think this will help form my portfolio so I can get an idea of what we are working with. I want to aim for high quality events, and maybe reduce the quantity, even if these are traditional events that were carried out in the past. I want there to be intention behind the money requests and I want people to understand that we may not have the funds for me to approve every event that they are requesting- so I might have to say no. I want to see how this year's planned budget compares to last years, the implications of developing proposals, and implementing these systems and measures of funds moving forward that future APSA council's can use and make their own. These past few weeks I have really taken the time to understand what the problem was, and now this is my current solution on how to approach it.

Alyna: Okay Julia, I just want to be completely transparent here but I appreciate how much work and effort you are putting into your role, so much. I think that it is very clear how much you care about this and all the work that you have been doing is quite evident. I think that your current plan sounds amazing and I just wanted to



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

say that you have been killing it and I really do want to say thank you and we appreciate you.

Julia: Thank you Alyna, that means a lot to me.

Bojana: There is validity in feeling and there is validity in however you feel and whether that is a large or smaller degree of feeling, that is valid. To echo what Alyna said, I feel grateful that you felt safe to voice your concerns with us and I hope that this is a safe space for everyone. I am really grateful that you felt comfortable to share and ask for help in ways that you think you can because I don't think I could have done it. But just from an effort point of view, I just want to echo what Alyna said. It very much shows that you are trying very hard to not only help APSA but to make it more transparent to all students. It is a big obstacle especially with tuition increases and students who will not accept admission into the program because of the cost. If reducing the APSA membership fee is possible, I do think that it would be a lovely thing to do for future students. If possible it is a lovely thing to do for them. Tamara also thanked you in the comments.

Julia: Thank you to everyone, I really appreciate it. If there are no comments, I do have 2 more things that I want to address. I put out the deadline or suggested date to send me your planned budget by the 21st but I have had some people reach out to me and say that they cannot make it. This was not a strict deadline and I kind of set it just to get the ball rolling. However, are there any of you who don't think they will complete this by the 21st? That is totally okay, I just want to know who will have it done and who still needs more time.

Talia: If you get radio-silence for me, it's because I don't spend money, I get it for us. I have looked over all of the previous budgets, and I don't spend money, I make money for us.

Tamara: I am a little bit stressed about the deadline because we have quite a few things due with rotation coming up. That being said, most of my budget comes from the Awards Committee and it is a bit tedious with the plaques, engravings, and all those nuances, so I might need some more time if that is okay.

Julia: No problem.

Jasmine: I personally just finished my transition with Rachel and with everything being in person or hoping to be in person, events will look very different than the previous years, so money spending will also look different. I will get my budget to you as soon as possible, but it might be later than the 21st as well.

Julia: That's okay, I appreciate the communication.

Bojana: Sorry Julia, was it the 21st when you wanted everyone's budget or how everyone will track their money and finance spending?

Julia: So I have put the tracking of finances on the side as I have asked everyone for their budget to see what direction they're taking and if they are doing anything new. Our class's social representative is already asking for \$1500 to fund their events for the year, so I need to go back and look at the traditional spending and see what the other social representatives are asking for. Also, the class of 2025, class representative, is asking for funds right now. They want \$125 when they come to campus to film the class of 2026's orientation video and I didn't know how to approach it because we have no budgets in place so I wanted to get some suggestions. It is a tight deadline and I don't feel comfortable spending and giving that money out without having a budget. The budget last year was \$500 from both the class and social rep so \$125 is a big chunk of their total budget. I also don't know how much value \$125 going to buy pizza for a handful of students in the class is bringing much value.



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

Bojana: Can you repeat the first thing you said?

Julia: So historically we have never funded something like this, last year there was a \$ 500 budget between both the class and social rep, so I am not sure that by giving them \$125 is really adding much value- those were just my thoughts.

Tamara: Do you know how many people are involved in the filming of the orientation video?

Julia: I think they said about 15 people and they are looking at 5 pizzas.

Tamara: Hm okay, I wonder if you can say that you are in a bit of a bind when it comes to finances and see if there is an alternative to pizza that they consider? I know a pack of 10 tims cookies would be around \$50 which is a lot better than \$125. I think if you explain that we have not solidified the budget yet so we are unsure if we can grant them that much money is totally reasonable.

Jasmine: I was just going to say that if they order pizza, there is a student discount they may be able to use to get the prize down. Also, \$125 worth is a lot of pizza. I think that that fits a lunch and learn pizza request which has a lot more than 15 people.

Talia: I am involved with the planning of the orientation video and I also have access to all of their planning documents. Our class also did a small crochet fundraiser and I know they were potentially using this money to fund the pizza. However, my question was, does this benefit the whole class and or does everyone have an equal benefit? I know that not everyone is interested in filming the orientation video so I think it is a great idea to reward people for their time and effort but I think they should be aware of how much they are asking for and the cost vs. benefit from it.

Bojana: Do you know when the orientation video is being filmed?

Talia: I think June 25th or 26th but they are coming up with weekdays and this doesn't work with everyone; their backup option would be sometime in July.

Bojana: I know that they have \$10 dollar pizza deals so maybe we can look into getting some kind of discount. I don't think this should be taken from the class budget as this is not something that the whole class would be benefiting from. This is a very nice gesture that they are doing for the class of 2026 and I do think that they should be rewarded in some kind of way. However, I think there also needs to be a clear expectation and clear communication that we are still working through our budget and we don't really know if we can spare \$125 at this moment. We can also let them know that \$125 is generally enough money to cover pizza for a whole lunch and learn. I think our first step would be figuring out what their exact day of filming is, and then see if there are any deals that correspond with their date. I also think that between \$50-70 is enough money to feed 15 people, \$125 is a lot in my opinion. What are your thoughts, Julia?

Julia: I think that everyone brought up good points. I am unsure of what our budget is at the current moment and I need to balance giving money to benefit a few people in the class vs. letting everyone have money vs. appreciating their time and effort. I think that I am okay to give them \$50 as Jazzi mentioned that \$125 dollars is enough for a lunch and learn. That is the current direction I am feeling, is everyone okay with that?

Bojana: I am also trying to look at previous budgets for the orientation video and I cannot seem to find



APSA Committee Meeting
May 16th, 2022 6:30-7:30

anything. Like I wonder if they normally set aside some money for supplies, materials, t-shirts or anything? I think \$50 is reasonable but let me know if you want me to keep digging to see if I can find a previous budget for it.

Alyna: I can also see if I can find that in the Drive, I will get back to you both about that.

Julia: I think I'm okay, I will reply and let them know we can spare \$50 though. Maybe I can write up a draft email and have you all proofread it, if that is okay?

Bojana: Absolutely I can do that for you, thank you Julia.

Talia: Just a quick reminder before we log off that we have our ACP meeting tomorrow. Alyna and Tamara, I know you already cannot attend, however, Jazzi and Julia I am not too sure of your availability. It is 3pm tomorrow at the ACP office, and for those of you who can attend in person, that would be preferred. Thanks everyone.

Jasmine: I unfortunately cannot attend, sorry I did not let you know earlier.

Julia: I will be there in person.

10. Adjournment (7:46pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Jasmine **Second:** Talia