



APSA Executive Council Meeting  
 May 3rd, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:07 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Prerna, Sarah, Talia, Zach, Goodwin, Asmaa, Sydney, Jin, Cassandra, Brooklyn
  - a. Regrets: None
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)
 

**Motion:** To approve the agenda  
**First:** Talia **Second:** Goodwin
4. Minutes of the last meeting (1 min)
 

**Motion:** To approve the previous meeting minutes  
**First:** Talia **Second:** Brooklyn

Topics of New Business:

<b>5. APSA and Faculty Committees (Sarah) - 5 min</b>	<b>1</b>
<b>6. Prayer Room (Sarah) - 5 mins</b>	<b>5</b>
<b>7. UHC Faculty Lunch and Learns and Supplies (Sarah) - 5 mins</b>	<b>5</b>
<b>8. General APSA Survey (Sarah) - 10 min</b>	<b>6</b>
<b>9. Recruiting by Independent Self Owned Pharmacy (Prerna) - 2 min</b>	<b>8</b>
<b>10. Finance Budget Planning (Goodwin) - 20 min</b>	<b>8</b>
<b>11. Future Meeting Plans (Prerna) - 2 min</b>	<b>12</b>

New Business:

5. **APSA and Faculty Committees (Sarah) - 5 min**

**Sarah:** So I got the list of committees for the faculty as well as we have our own committees, which I think Alyssa Chan has the list for. I have contacted her but she has not had a chance to respond to me yet. I did suggest one thing to the faculty, they have an Admission Committee that got elected in the Fall and work this summer on the committee. So I told them that we should hold off on the admissions committee election for this year then do it next year so that the person elected next year will be working that summer so the timelines correspond with each other in a way that makes sense. They said they were fine with that, but I wanted to confirm that we were fine with that or if we had any concerns with that?

**Talia:** Well that's good because we were told that by default, Prerna and I would sit on this committee, and if we're not then that's fine.

**Sarah:** Is it because no one applied last fall?

**Talia:** I don't know. I was just told that as VP Academic that this is one of the committees I will sit on but that doesn't make sense to sit on it right away. It makes sense that it starts in the Fall right? Not when they are making decisions over the next month.

**Sarah:** Well no, previously they would elect someone in the Fall when the Faculty Committee elections occur and then that person would go in that following summer. That's just how it works but because our

elections are now in May, so I told them that they should hold it this year, maybe they did not get anyone from this past Fall?

**Perna:** Wait, so I have a question, who is doing it this summer?

**Sarah:** Well I asked Dr. Ken Cor and I assumed they had someone elected from Fall to work this summer and he said yes. So then I said you can elect someone next year for that summer, in other words we will elect someone in May 2024 then they will work that summer in 2024, but I assumed we had someone for this summer (2023) from Fall 2022.

**Talia:** So if there is, then Perna and I are off the hook.

**Sarah:** I don't know if there is so I would confirm with them now.

**Talia:** I emailed Dr. Hall about it because I was under the impression we would be sitting on this committee, but apparently Dr. Brocks is the one who chairs this committee. So should we reach out to him to double check?

**Perna:** I think we should reach out to Dr. Ken Cor and Dr. Brocks.

**Sarah:** Like where do the faculty committee applications get sent to?

**Perna:** Here's the thing, I know someone asked someone from BPSA to sit on it which is great, but I really want one of us to sit on it at least and I was ready to sit on it, so I can do that if that's okay with everyone. Because I think the President and VP Academic sit on it anyway.

**Talia:** Yeah and I have already asked for time off work like they already know I have time off.

**Perna:** So Talia, why don't we email Dr. Ken Cor and Dr. Brocks and reminds them that these two people sit on this committee and ask what are the dates? I think we should just say that we want to be on it to make decisions with a student perspective.

**Talia:** Or just that when we transitioned into the roles we were under the impression that we would be sitting on this committee so can you give us the lowdown.

**Perna:** If it's not one of us I don't know who would be on it, unless they are just doing BPSA, which I'm okay with but I think it should be one representative from BPSA, APSA and the LGBTQ+PhSC, so I don't know how does everyone else feel about that?

**Goodwin:** Okay wait, so is what we were bringing up an issue of procedure or what is the issue?

**Talia:** The issue is that we are not 100% sure who is supposed to be sitting on the Admissions Committee this year. Perna and I thought we were supposed to, Sarah emailed Dr. Ken Cor and apparently they have someone, but we don't know who.

**Sarah:** Well I just confirmed that we don't need to elect someone this summer and that we should just run it next year.

**Sydney:** Actually I think it's me who is supposed to be on the Admission's Committee this summer.

**Talia:** Okay that answers it. When did you find out?

**Sydney:** When the faculty held the committee applications in Fall, I volunteered to be on admissions committees.

**Sarah:** But have you been contacted at all about the committee meetings, Sydney?

**Sydney:** So no I haven't but Dr. Ken Cor emailed me in November and said he would be in touch with me. He hasn't emailed me since though.

**Perna:** Dr. Hall sent us an email that they don't start until June and July so you should be contacted soon, but perfect we have it figured out.

**Talia:** So Perna, you and I don't have to worry about it then.

**Sarah:** So I wanted to confirm that we are okay with that. And then I assume we want to run the committee elections, I messaged Alyssa and I am waiting for her response to make sure she is good to go whenever in this month. Thoughts?

**Perna:** I want to hear everyone else's thoughts.

**Goodwin:** So we are trying to fill these committee seats before the first years come in, correct?

**Sarah:** Well we are gonna run it now then run a bi-election in Fall, fill as many as we can now and whatever we can't fill will go to Fall bi-elections.

**Goodwin:** Okay, I don't think anyone would think about committee commitments until like July or August when we are at least closer to school starting.

**Sarah:** So we should hold off until July or August?

**Goodwin:** That's what I'm thinking but I don't know what you normally do.

**Sarah:** It's usually in Fall and we moved it up in the constitution because the idea is trying to get people on your committee so that you know who you are working with throughout the year while planning stuff over the summer. Or I think that's the idea is to plan everything over the summer?

**Goodwin:** Okay then I'll be honest, I think we missed the window. Like we should have done it immediately after the council elections then started recruiting when people were still in school. Now we are asking them when they are busy with summer vacation and other plans.

**Prerna:** Okay that's fair.

**Talia:** I wanted to clarify, are we talking APSA and faculty committee?

**Sarah:** Both.

**Talia:** Okay, in that case I would suggest we try to fill our committees first then leave faculty committees until the next round. I agree the sooner we can get people on our committees, the better but I also agree with Goodwin that it might be difficult to get people. If we are able to get at least a couple of people then at least you can get started.

**Prerna:** How about everyone else, can I pick on people. I just want to get everyone's opinions so we can be clear on a decision.

**Jin:** I'm not gonna lie I am a little bit confused right now, but I kinda agree with Talia that we missed the window but I think a few people is better than none especially with planning bigger events it would be bad to leave it to July or August. Even if there are just a couple of people I think it is better to have some rather than zero, but we have to push people pretty hard to get them to come.

**Prerna:** What part are you confused about?

**Jin:** You mentioned planning things in the summer but I'm not sure what kind of planning the faculty committees do, but I know the APSA committees would probably plan a bit over the summer for the Fall.

**Sarah:** Yeah, I mean like because we run the APSA and Faculty committees at the same time. I just thought that if we were gonna run the APSA committee elections, should we run the faculty committees at the same time? But the planning ahead concept is more related to APSA committees.

**Brooklyn:** I don't have a ton of thoughts on the matter to be honest with you, what committees are we talking about specifically.

**Sarah (shared in chat):** This is from the constitution:

- SECTION 13.1: CONSTITUTION & POLICY COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.2: AWARDS COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.3: SOCIAL COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.4: PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.5: PHARMACY APPRECIATION MONTH (PAM) COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.6: RUN FOR THE CURE (RFTC) COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.8: PROFESSIONALISM COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.9: MOVEMBER COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.10: SAF-PHARM COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.11: GRADUATION (GRAD) COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.12: CAPSI/IPSF COMMITTEE
- SECTION 13.13: AD HOC COMMITTEES
- SECTION 13.14: FACULTY COMMITTEES

**Prerna:** So a lot of big events like RxFactor usually have a committee except orientation. I don't know if we have a finance committee.

**Sarah:** I believe it was only an Ad Hoc committee last year. Some committees do not have anyone elected in committee elections like the Social Committee is just VP Social and Class Social Reps or any student club representatives. But in terms of those who would likely need elections: Constitution & Policy Committee, Awards Committee, PAM Committee, Run for the Cure Committee, CAPSI/IPSF Committee and any Ad Hoc Committees.

**Prerna:** And for faculty committees I am not sure how much they do in the summer as I have not been involved in any previously. But they will email whoever signed up for the position whenever they need them. I believe they are okay with waiting until September to find out.

**Sarah:** This is the list sent by Dr. Ken Cor with rough numbers and the committees. But yeah I think most are during the year except the Admissions Committee which is summer? Also there is a SAC committee

but that's in progress so I know what to do with it yet.

**The following was shared in chart by Sarah:**

- 1 student for the 2023-24 Admissions Committee (the student who signed up this year will be doing the work over the coming spring/summer and should be contacted soon)
- 1 student for the Safety, Infrastructure, and Facilities Committee
- 1 Student for the Research Day Committee
- 2 students for the Assessment Committee
- 1 student for the Awards Committee
- 2 students for the new PharmD Advisory Committee (these students should be from equity seeking groups)

**Prerna:** So that hopefully gives you context on the committees. But do you have any other thoughts on how to make this work Brooklyn?

**Brooklyn:** I agree that for the ones that need more planning that we should do that as soon as possible but it might be hard to get everyone's attention. But now would be better than mid-June because people are maybe still in it a little bit?

**Asmaa:** I agree with what has been mentioned that now is a good time. I think it doesn't hurt to start now as a few is better than nothing and I don't know if this is an option, but recruiting people later on in September [is an option]. But I don't know how much work this requires.

**Prerna:** Goodwin you suggested July and August right?

**Goodwin:** After hearing out other people's thoughts about what is actually necessary with these committees I don't see why we couldn't do it right now. Yeah I think if we just do a couple like the fall events maybe then that would be probably better received.

**Sydney:** Yeah and just we could send out postings every month or push more at the end of July/August when they are willing to write a letter of intent.

**Zach:** I can agree with doing it as soon as possible as I don't see the harm in doing it now. Besides not getting many applicants, it gives more time to keep posting and reminding people to push it later months of the summer.

**Prerna:** So how about, if everyone is okay with it then why don't we see what committees need to push for the Fall events now and I also think we could push all of them.

**Sarah:** I would suggest pushing all of them, at latest giving the list of all of them but not with the expectation we will fill all of the positions just so people are aware of what all the committees available about what you want to invest your time in of this school year, then leave it up to them what they want to apply for.

**Zach:** Is there a set number of people on these committees? I know for CAPSI/IPSF we prefer the more hands the better.

**Sarah:** I know constitution wise there is listed numbers but I don't know if it's considered a maximum

**Prerna:** I don't think it's a maximum as I don't think we even get it as the minimum. So number wise I think as many as possible it is fine.

**Zach:** Okay and is there a date that needs to be finalized?

**Sarah:** Yeah that's what I wanted to also confirm, should we set a first due date then run a bi-election in the Fall which would be a separate date to let Alyssa know.

**Zach:** I think we should have it a few weeks into the school term just because that is our opportunity to recruit first years and hopefully get some help with events.

**Prerna:** Why don't we post them, but not as a first election type of method where we post it now then give it until midsummer like June 15th or June 30th to get in applications and gauge how many sign up then keep a posting about it. Like if we get no one then I don't see harm in continuing to post about it in August and then advertise it to first years at orientation, then bi-elections can happen in the second week of September. It just depends if we get anyone in the summer because it might not even be considered bi-election if we get no one over the summer. We just let it go and gauge on the interest.

**Sarah:** Yeah so then something moving forward for next year is considering editing numbers because those numbers might be considered maximums but just rephrasing it to however many apply.

**Prerna:** Okay before we move on, since we started without a couple of us, I wanted to say welcome

everyone to our first executive council meeting and I am so excited. This is gonna be a great year. Thank you for coming everyone! There are so many gorgeous and brilliant people on this team and all of you and I want to set up individual meetings with all of you so I will contact you individually about that and housekeeping information. That's all I wanted to say to set the vibes.

**Sarah:** And just a last comment, Goodwin just said in chat that when we advertise to students to let them know when committees are most busy. I will have to double check with Alyssa about what that looks like again but I will have to email to you guys for you to check there are no further changes that need to be made for your role's committee.

6. **Prayer Room (Sarah) - 5 mins**

**Sarah:** This past year the previous VP Admin, Alyna, led the project of the Prayer Room with Student Services, and I wanted to discuss on who moving forward should manage this room?

**Perna:** Just for context does everyone know about the room?

**Sarah:** Yeah it's somewhere in the MSB locker hallway near the all gender bathroom.

**Perna:** We now have a prayer room, we just started it at the end of the winter semester. I heard its working great but the issue is that Alyna was handling things and she will be moving to fourth year rotations so there's a couple of options here Cass as it is related to Student Services: you will have a committee so there's an idea for you to take of that room and also there an idea of contacting whoever we brought the room up. I think it was an APSA member who wanted the space, so if she's interested, she could take it up as it was her idea, but she is not part of the council which is the other idea. Cass how do you feel in terms of your capacity?

**Cassandra:** Taking on the prayer room, what does that entail?

**Perna:** Yeah so kinda just like maintenance like APSA lounge, nothing stolen, the keypad works, make sure everyone has access and just in charge of addressing anyone's concerns. Like the APSA lounge but another room.

**Cassandra:** Yeah I can take on that role in collaboration with that person you mentioned. I think it would be good to collaborate with them to maintain it.

**Sarah:** And just to add you would be responsible for anyone who does not have access like the incoming first years and we would tell people to contact you about it to give them information about the prayer room and knowing who has access with an ongoing list.

**Perna:** Any questions or concerns from anyone else or do you want to take this role on? Talia I know you were involved last year in these conversations, do you have anything?

**Talia:** Nope, I have nothing to add here.

**Perna:** Okay Cass, if you're okay with it. But you can delegate it, it does not have to be yourself as I know you have a lot on your plate and a lot you want to do this year. It can be you and me, but I can ask the person who brought it up if they would like to be involved. But if they don't then we can figure it out, but we will put it under your portfolio for now and we can delegate it.

7. **UHC Faculty Lunch and Learns and Supplies (Sarah) - 5 mins**

**Sarah:** This is two points in one but I will start with the first point, so Justin Peters contacted me recently about continuing lunch and learning on topics from the University Health Centre. If you were aware of it then it was about trends in STIs I believe, but they told me that the Faculty handles the booking and stuff so we don't have to put it through BearsDen. Obviously we need someone on our side who would handle picking up pizza or food and registration for the event and helping the guest speakers so they are looking who they should pass it off to for this year.

**Perna:** I think this should go to those who do lunch and learn to begin with, is that GFC?

**Sarah:** I think that's Malcolm as SAF Pharm. But I just wanted to make sure if there was anyone on exec that would maybe want to be in charge of this?

**Talia:** If you want to CC me on this, I can be tangentially involved as well as it is education related if you need me to.

**Sarah:** I will just tell Malcolm that he can put you as the second organizer if he needs you to.

**Talia:** Sure

**Prerna:** I think it would get too disorganized if someone else took it over as he's coordinating most of the lunch and learns.

**Talia:** Yeah but I will also be planning the Career series so I will have to coordinate with Malcolm to a certain extent anyway.

**Sarah:** So the second point is that Justin informed me that they have connections to places that supply items for safe sex like condoms, dental dams, and lube which offer discounts to student groups. So if APSA would be willing to consider allocating funds to provide safe sex supplies to students then Justin would like to know how much money APSA would be willing to spend. Then they would let us know what we can obtain with that set amount. I don't know if that's of interest to us, I assume it would fall under Cass to leave somewhere for students and Goodwin because he would determine the funds.

**Cassandra:** I don't know if there's a need for it. But I could do a trial run and if it's emptying then I can assume people want it. I don't know though so I would have to think about it but if the student body wants it then we should deliver.

**Goodwin:** ~~Money~~—We can always talk circles around [money] as I don't really have anything [historical information on what APSA has purchased in prior years] ~~historically as a cost APSA has previously purchased~~. I think part of delivering on this part of sexual health is something we should discuss with the faculty to see if they would set aside some funds to support such an initiative where we don't have to pay. Just because if they are serious about the sexual health portion, then there's a bunch of student wellness initiatives they are trying to throw together, I think that would be the funding route I would see and we would not be paying out of pocket for it. Which is why I think we should push it regardless, I think we should have it rather than not have it.

**Zach:** I think it's good, I don't have any opinion from my position here though. I liked Cass's idea of a trial run with a basket of items and seeing if by the end of the month how many people have grabbed it. I think it's important that people aren't making jokes out of it either with these items and evaluate how students are using it for lack of better words. Just see if the demand is there.

**Talia:** I agreed this is something we have to tread a little bit carefully, I like the idea of the trial run and I concur with Zach about looking at utilization and if the money we are putting forward is actually worthwhile and it's not going to waste. It's a super important topic but we need to be tactful in how we present and handle it to avoid any miscommunication or pitfalls.

**Sydney:** Yeah I have the same opinion about doing the trail run as I do think some people might make a joke out of it so I don't want to waste our money.

**Asmaa:** I have the same thoughts as everyone else.

**Brooklyn:** Yeah I agree.

**Jin:** I have nothing else to add but I agreed with Goodwin that this is something the faculty would consider in funding so if you push it through they might take over it but a trial run is a good idea.

**Goodwin:** I will just add another point that if we run into a situation where someone makes a joke out of it, I think it's more of an opportunity to educate them on it. I don't know how comfortable we are on the topic of sexual health and the ability to educate/direct others to resources so maybe we leave a little resource card whenever we leave the free sexual health products. There's always gonna be the less than ideal immaturity that we all fall victim to but I think it's more of an opportunity to educate which is what we do as healthcare professionals and moving into our practice. So if we don't push the boundary in school then we will never push the boundary when we are out working.

**Sarah:** So just to finalize our thoughts about the supplies, should I tell Justin to wait until we have a conversation with the faculty in September to see what their ideas are about it?

**Goodwin:** Can you CC me on what you send to Justin as they will have to work through my channels to talk to faculty about funding?

**Sarah:** Yeah I will let them know that we won't explore it until September and I will CC you in addition to Malcolm on these items.

**Prerna:** I think it's important to wait, but maybe test it out by having lunch and learn early in the semester about sexual health and have free items to put out and see if students are liking it and taking a lot of items. But I don't think there is a rush to this.

8. **General APSA Survey (Sarah) - 10 min**

**Sarah:** So continuing from the last executive meeting with the leaving executives, the November Advocacy Project results are now out and I think most if not all of us have probably had transition meetings. So I wanted to discuss if we are still interested in a general APSA survey that I mentioned is more specific to Councilors. I wanted to consider giving time to everyone to submit questions to format it then have a meeting to review it so I wanted to get some input regarding if we are good to put it out and the timelines for it?

**Perna:** Does everyone know what the APSA survey was?

**Sarah:** Oh yeah, Asmaa hasn't had a chance to hear about it yet.

**Perna:** So we put out a survey to the student body about if they knew about APSA and what it does and our roles. Just to get feedback. Just to clarify Sarah, you want to put out another survey.

**Sarah:** Yeah it's mostly because I was already looking to do a survey relating to communication. The advocacy project I wanna say is more oriented to faculty and what we should be advocating for students like pass-fail, I can't remember the other topics. I know they had a question about constructive feedback for councilors and there were no clear responses as it was an open-ended question that required students to know about APSA roles of councilors. My survey would be to get student opinions on topics. Assuming we are okay with the survey, I think Perna brought up the suggestion of a Discord server rather than a Facebook page for better organization of channels should that be a question on the survey and asking students if they would be willing to switch to Discord. And other questions like how often you check or just how you check APSA events, like that's what I have questions about that I would like students to respond on, but I am open to having other councilors input their questions that they would like feedback on.

**Goodwin:** So after thinking about it for a little while, the general survey should just be broadly asking about APSA questions but it's up to councilors to put out additional surveys that they want to know regarding their events. That's how I think it should operate because as soon as we make surveys longer than I don't think students will want to get through it. So maybe we focus this survey to get broad topics of Discord, how often and where do you check to see event information. Then let's say for me if I need to ask a question about how they need to see funds used then I can do a separate survey about it.

**Sarah:** I am just concerned about survey fatigue. If we release a bunch of mini surveys that half of those surveys won't get consistent response levels or a decline in responses because people are tired or surveys or they don't realize this survey is different. That's my one concern.

**Goodwin:** Then I think we need to pick and choose who is making surveys for their portfolio.

**Perna:** I think that is true as it could be a long survey, anyone have anything else to add?

**Cassandra:** I think you guys made some good points, maybe you can still have a broad survey or just send it out all at once and categorize it and rather than send it out at different times. Have it all at once and pick and choose what parts of APSA that they have an opinion on. It's kinda tough.

**Perna:** That's a good point, what if we made it as everything as optional, if it's possible on google forms. Then people fill out what they are most concerned about. That might be a good plan. But is anyone super against this survey? Nobody. How do you feel about that, Sarah?

**Sarah:** Yeah I can make it all optional, but I need to give time for councilor facebook to ask if anyone wants to submit questions, like maybe a week or two to submit questions then bring it forward as an agenda point to review it before sending it out?

**Perna:** Yes, but I think traction will be low for this right now. I don't think people want to do a survey or care about APSA over the summer so it might be good to hold off until September?

**Sarah:** Was there anyone who wanted feedback in regards to planning their events for the upcoming year?

**Goodwin:** You might need to have a meeting with the councilors, Sarah, as messages can get lost.

**Perna:** Are you saying you don't think we should wait?

**Sarah:** It's mostly me wondering if anyone needs feedback to consider for this upcoming year in planning to make adjustments, which might be why we need to do it sooner rather than later. We did talk about incentivizing the survey too but obviously response will be lower over the summer. I did try to push for it before the end of April but I couldn't as we were waiting for the Advocacy project results out yet.

**Cassandra:** I also think that because we haven't gotten that deep into our planning we might not know what questions to ask, so maybe we can send it out halfway through the summer when we start planning. Another thing, we can just see how many questions each person does have and put some surveys

together so it is not overwhelming.

**Sarah:** So I guess the verdict is to hold off at least until July or August?

**Perna:** Let's put a pin on it, also I think the transition documents and people are learning about their roles that they are figuring out differences they would make. But we could always put out little surveys or QR codes at the end of events to get feedback about how you like the event, what would you change, etc. I think it's better to wait off until August.

9. **Recruiting by Independent Self Owned Pharmacy (Perna) - 2 min**

**Perna:** Trent emailed me, he said there's an independent pharmacist who wants to work with the Recruitment Director to put out this new system, where everyone gives in their resume and puts their priorities of this type of employer or this type of company. And then he sends out your resume to those kinds of people. I can forward you guys that email, his name is Bob Staznick. He emailed Trent and Trent wanted my opinion if we needed it and if it would be of value to us. I tried to look him up and I didn't really know much about him. So I asked Trent some questions, who he is and how he makes money from this and if he is creditable as I don't know his background. I just wanted to let you guys know about it, but we don't need to make any decisions right now, but I will let you know when I hear back from Trent about this guy before we make a decision, but I want us to make a decision together. For the sake of time, I will message you guys when he responds. But just try to reply to it if you have time when you get the information.

**Sarah:** Are you going to include the Recruitment Director in this conversation?

**Perna:** I will, but this is something we need to talk about as well I think.

10. **Finance Budget Planning (Goodwin) - 20 min**

**Goodwin:** I am just going to be talking to you guys. This is just what has been going on in the background for finance. Some of this will apply more to you guys but everyone will have some amount of interaction with me before the summer ends. I just wanted to make sure you're all on the same page of what's been happening since we've been elected until now. So we have a couple things we will be covering, its just related to BearsDen so for event planners and everyone who has done the EOT training that's something we should know about then big portfolio changes for the upcoming year and easily covering some constitution changes and how we will be developing the budget.

First thing, BearsDen. I thought it might be good to cover the background and just kinda know our past with BearsDen. So BearsDen is associated with APSA in two ways: it recognizes us as a student group and approves our events as meetings based on their minimums, policies and procedures. APSA is left with the rest, such as paying for the event, obtaining insurance and permits as necessary, ensuring we have emergency procedures and making sure we follow through with what we promised. That kinda comes up to some of the things we have had issues with BearsDen in the past because they historically lack trust with APSA to operate because they see three major risks with APSA. They see the risk for financial fraud, such as the mishandling of funds, embezzlement and basically our banks are thick for a student group so they have some concerns around that. For context, because the university is a publicly funded entity and some of the money reaches us from the faculty, we are potentially under scrutiny from the provincial government to audit overt finance so they want to be 100% sure that we are not stealing money from them.

Next major risk, APSA itself is considered a high risk student group by BearsDen with a lack of consistent risk mitigation strategies and what I mean by that is insurance. So as a group we don't currently hold insurance on our own, but being approved by BearsDen says that the university is backing APSA but they won't take any of the fall if we are negligent. They will back us up if they go after us for something that happens at our event on university grounds. That's how it comes down to annual versus event insurance. Annual insurance covers us, the entity of APSA going out of our way to give us money to back ourselves. As I have been researching and what we have been looking at historically, annual plans cover about 5 million dollars in broad coverage at an annual premium of about 10,000 dollars. So that doesn't seem responsible for a group that runs small time events like lunch and learns, so we don't really need broad coverage on that end and 10,000 is a very big price to pay. So that was just some of the rundown on how I see annual insurance applying to APSA. And then event insurance is pretty obvious that it covers a single event based



on the activity and the inherent level of risk. So if we have lunch and learn, we don't need event insurance as no one is really going to get hurt. And another example is that we do the Amazing Race and there is the potential for some people to get hurt and we are also off-site, so that would need a little more cost. But overall you can imagine that for all the events we run, we probably don't accumulate 10,000 dollars in event insurance costs. This is just something I wanted to outline for you guys, especially for those choosing to do event planning.

And then finally, they see us as not having any inherent systems to have liability protections. So liability protections are essentially when you sign waivers of informed consent saying you are signing away your right to sue. APSA itself does not have their own waivers and we get them from BearsDen. So event planners should be aware that this does not remove APSA nor themselves from being named in a lawsuit but only serves to cover the UofA when it comes down to it. But it will ultimately deter any legal actions from being brought forward. For the new third years, we kinda learn that if there isn't that much money they aren't going to go after you, that's the same thing here. Just so you know, our top priority has been to get APSA re-approved for the next academic year. Prerna and I kinda had to go on the hot seat for that but it turned out pretty good but the bottom line is that we are all good. They said everything is good and we are in the clear. They just want to know from APSA that we understand the risks and are well informed about not having UofA insurance directly covering any of our activities. Their stance is that unless there is any gross negligence, they will not unregister an existing student group. Any questions? Nice.

Next, one of the big changes in this upcoming year is that we lost Mint Health for the Mint Cup so we don't have our title sponsor here. So this will be a big change for our council specially for our incoming VP Socials. But I just wanted to align going back to reflect about our finance stance and benefit was with them. If we kinda look broadly, the loss of the insurance is not a huge hit when we know how much energy is invested as compared to the payout. So really we are looking to rebrand, and if we look at what happened last year, we got 2-3 pairs of Oilers tickets priced at 300 dollars per pair, we have Banff accommodations at the very end. We don't actually know how much that was because it was not on our end for financial records but we are ballparking it to 600 bucks. Pizza parties we are estimating 100 dollars each time and a ton of blue and gold tickets. Basically, they were only really giving us 2000 dollars worth of prizes for how many events we run and how many ways we encourage students to earn points and stuff on top of that. Looking at rebranding, if we just want to make this a pharmacy students cup where APSA is the funder for all the prizes, depending on how much it costs to run each event, we can probably step in to cover some of these prizes. I am thinking of the Blue and Gold tickets and the Banff accommodations as the one time big prize. APSA could step in to provide the funds with that but we would have to balance it out with the other events we run as Mint Cup events and we might want to change things such as obtaining a new sponsor. This is not for everyone here but a communication we will have VP Social and VP Fundraising. Basically, at the current cost, I am sure we can get one of the corporations to be interested, I know Neighbourly has been itching to get their name out there and Shoppers always have money left around. Big thing here is how are we going to say we have deliverables, what does that mean, we name it after them, what else can we do, maybe have more representatives that can talk to students and touch base. So I wanted to give a quick update regarding that.

I know a lot of us did not read the constitution changes, I think the changes are important for myself because I have to delegate as I am involved with all your events and I can ultimately sit on all of your committees and budget all your items. So I thought it would be important for me to share with you guys. What we added was that I would run a membership fee review. This is a pretty big one because we could all probably benefit from understanding where our money goes and I will try to provide and review and we can have a discussion around it and approve something prior to the first year orientation and see if we are still comfortable with the 250 amount. Breaking down what we call expenditures of funds. This is basically the money I will give to your portfolios that are approved in the budget or not approved in the budget or pop up in the middle of the event. So if we want to propose a budget for one of your events, these need to be designed together with me then we get it approved by the council. When we look at non-budgeted, these can arise for a variety of reasons, basically, if we got a quote for a venue and it ends up being more expensive that's a non-budgeted expenditure or if there's extra items we were not planning for and let's say damage occurs at an event and we have to reimburse for that, those are what we are looking at here. In the constitution, it is written that up to 100 dollars may be approved by the president

and VP finance so this isn't actually a negotiated thing. No matter what, if you go over budget from what is approved or you add a new item, Prena and I if it's around the 100 dollar mark will be the ones to review that, any higher we push it to council.

**Sarah:** It's actually been updated to 600 dollars.

**Goodwin:** Okay wow so we are in the 600 dollar range pretty much talking no matter what. It kinda comes down to that. So even though anything from zero to 600 dollars needs to be run past Prena and I, I can hear that it's kinda impractical for you guys because if you ran into an issue and you need an extra 250 dollars, like you technically through policy and procedures would need us to sign off on that and there is not much flexibility with that. And a lot of things change, what you plan in the summer might not happen in the fall. So I just wanted to reinforce why the previous council had a discussion about this and basically said no we are keeping this way because according to historical conversations, APSA has an alleged history of people stealing money and obviously the university would not be a fan of that. So ultimately having two portfolios look at a certain expenditure means that we ensure tighter accountability. In order to mitigate any possibility of money being stolen we are just going to have to keep doing it the way it's been and I know that has been a frustration in the past. I want to put forward that I will still focus on flexibility for you guys. I will go into it with a bit more depth when I have a conversation with you guys as we make budgets, we will use categories with our expenditures which we have defined criteria for. So lets say I need your event operating cost that actually lumps in security, ticket or decoration costs and by saying that, I can approve you a bigger chunk of the budget so it can still be used for whatever falls within that defined criteria. And then we are still covered as we are least presenting all that information up front and will still collect all receipts to review on. Hopefully that will make things easier for you guys, but I will go into more detail when I talk to you one-on-one.

I just thought that since Finance Jr isn't here that because my role has been split in two, I want you guys to know when you are contacting Finance Jr, both of us or just me. Finance Jr with myself will educate and support councilors on best practices, for example on how to handle cash and how to report financial activity. If you have direct questions about that, I would go to Finance Jr, Kevin, first. And when we go into the school year and start to see those invoices come in. The next thing that Finance Jr is primarily responsible for is that they will process all requests for transactions including money going in and money going out. So any expenses under pre-approved budget items would be something you talk to Kevin about. Reimbursement upon receiving required invoices and receipts, so if you pay for something and you need money back, Kevin will be processing that for you and I will be paying you back but if there is any case we were expecting to get the rental invoice on May 3rd but we have not gotten it yet, I will have Kevin kinda sent out a reminder to you guys to follow up on that to ensure we have the most updated cost of our budget. Another thing that is related to these transactions is that we have to reconcile invoices against receipts to make sure we are covering our tracks and making sure items there are accurate to the budget we proposed. Overall, they will be carrying out these systems we have in place within APSA independently from myself. So I won't be looking at every single receipt you send in but my focus is to support your budget development through meetings and calls and if you guys run into troubles trying to make something fall within your proposed budget, then I will be there to help you. I will see to the operation of our banking services and cash flow and most importantly I am the liaison between councilors pretty much about challenges coming up on the day or externally when the funds change. Let's say you get a sponsor, so you have access to more fun before the event begins, I will make sure to communicate that for everyone and that message is passed along. Any questions there?

**Jin:** Is there any chance you can put that specific breakdown on what we should be reaching out to Kevin for and what we should be reaching out to you for? Like somewhere in the shared doc as you said most of that out loud.

**Goodwin:** Yes, I have it on speaker notes so it's technically on the presentation, but I will try to create a guidance document on that. I will write that down right now. Thank you for that.

These last two slides are about the budget designing process. I will outline this in an email I send out to each of you, which will only be addressed to your portfolio. My first thing, I will email you is what are the events that ran last year and what was the trend of their cash flow, so where money is coming in and where is money that we have to put out. So one example for an event I ran is Saving Second Base, basically I will send a summary sheet of this. We have the type of financial activity fundraiser, so for Run for the

Cure, and also expenses related to that so it wasn't just money coming in. Accounts receivable the donations coming in and faculty funding to offset costs, accounts payable you can read off the screen. This is just what I will be sending to you in an email. Right after that, each of you will be responsible with what I gave you to develop your own budget and I want you to look into where those costs come up and how to document how costs appear and how that gets pushed through our APSA system. After you give it an attempt I will tell you in the last year how much was spent last time and then we will negotiate based on what you budgeted and what was spent last time based on the average cost of the event. I know this seems very abstract and it won't make sense until you try it out, but this is something I am hoping will make it easier to create annual budgets for you guys. So final step is that we have labeled event types like lunch and learns, fundraiser or something providing to students we will categorize it as an average cost then we will have a discussion about a quota you want to hit by the end of the year and multiply it by that average cost and give you an annual budget. As we advance through the year instead of one costing above or below average, you have the full amount of money to work with and then we can talk about re-approving the budget so that everything remains adequately funded for the initiatives you want to take on. I am here to kinda make sure that you can do everything you want to do with your portfolio and I'm hoping that this preliminary process is one small step towards doing that. I won't take questions about this one as I will be talking to you individually about but hopefully from what you guys can see there is some rhyme and reason to it and sorry to bore you guys right at the end of our meeting.

**Zach:** This is more of an aside but I think the question falls under your position, for money we spent last semester when can we expect that?

**Goodwin:** Yes so I will let you know that the reimbursement process has been delayed because Prerna and I, as the incoming President and VP Finance, need signing authority to the account. We currently do not have the signing authority to the account, there have been issues on Scotiabank's side and ours for communication channels. Until I have control, I cannot reimburse, but if there is a pressing issue please email me and I can backstop something, but I would love you guys would be patient as the finance portfolio has been a little unstable with the transition process because its been pushed on me during finals and I don't have a good grasp of everything.

**Zach:** Sounds good, just wanted an update on that.

**Goodwin:** Yeah if you have something really pressing, like a bill to pay I will try my best to backstop it for you.

**Prerna:** I will also try to expedite this but that is what we are figuring out and if anyone has any big charges on your credit card that you need to pay off please let us know and we will try to figure it out. Julia, I don't think she is contactable right now so unfortunately everything got laid out on Goodwin out of nowhere, he's been great. Presentation was great, I was listening, but does anyone have any questions?

**Sarah:** I just want to clarify with the example email table you showed, will it only say for accounts receivable and accounts payable will it give any historical estimates or just the written item and not the cost associated?

**Goodwin:** So my strategy with this is that if everyone becomes a little more able to research finance history, so you might need to go through old APSA general files, you might need to ask predecessor I want you to get a good idea of why we need to document things so then you know what we are doing on our end. When you guys understand it more then you will give me the right thing so I don't have to chase you down to ask more things. So I would suggest you look through old documents or ask your previous council so you can see an invoice and what costs are associated. I will not come back to you until you give me a rough estimate. I will provide you with our numbers and we can negotiate how much money it's going to cost. There's another reason I'm doing this, if you want to do something different and go above and beyond what happened last year it's going to come at a price tag. I want you to create a budget proposition for it and negotiate an amount for it. I hope it pushes you to become, I hate to put it this way, a business student, but you need to show me. I don't want to kinda have to go based on numbers and I want to know why you want to do things which are based on my personal approach to this portfolio.

**Sarah:** Okay I am just going to clarify for everyone if you need access to historical document in the folder, you will need your predecessor or anyone whoever has been on council last year to share it with you because previous the previous APSA council folder will be phased out this year, unless you need access for whatever reason. But just to give you a heads up that if you are looking for something and you can't find it

that you might need to ask me or someone to share it with you.

**Jin:** Okay I know you said you won't question, but is there a timeline for us to do research, like when are you expecting to have the budget done?

**Goodwin:** Okay so the reason I don't have an answer for you, coming into this position, I have been given the loosest details and there are a lot of processes that I have never been involved in, one example being the Trent has hired accounts to develop a 3 year budget, I have never seen this budget so I have no idea what the values proposed within it and I don't know how much money I have been allotted to work. So I don't have a rough estimate I can create a budget because I don't know what happened externally until now. So I am in the process I am aiming to send the email something in the next couple of weeks and I will start to have the discussion and I will plan a meeting with you and then in that meeting you will air out what you need to talk about then we can have ongoing email conversation then we can have a later meeting where we can finalize an annual budget. I want to introduce you to this process as it's something I drafted up, but thank you for the question. I can start thinking about it but I don't have an answer for you right now.

**Prerna:** We are in the middle of transitioning into our roles, but just for context, everyone got their budget by August last year. Obviously it's Goodwin's choice as it's his portfolio if he wants it earlier or later.

#### 11. Future Meeting Plans (Prerna) - 2 min

Prerna: Is everyone okay with Facebook, or do we need another platform for our communication? Okay, so we will talk about meetings in the Facebook chat and I will keep you updated on the Trent situation with the recruiter. And we can start planning our next meeting soon. Do we want weekly meetings? I know this meeting went long, some will go longer, but just think about weekly or biweekly meetings and what your capacity is over the summer. I don't want you to be stuck with this all summer but obviously if you do most of the work now it will be a lot easier in the semester when we are all crying in school. Then Sarah and I will decide when we want to do our meetings. Just watch the Facebook chat.

12. Additions to the Agenda:

13. Adjournment (8:33pm)

**Motion:** To adjourn

First: Cassandra Second: Jin