



APSA Executive Council Meeting

August 9th, 2023 @7:00pm, online via Google Meets

1. Call to order (7:04 pm)
2. Roll call (2 min): Sarah, Sydney, Zach, Jin, Talia, Goodwin
 - a. Regrets: Zach, Brooklyn, Prerna, Asmaa
3. Additions to the agenda (1 min)

Motion: To approve the agenda
First: Goodwin, **Second:** Goodwin
4. [Minutes of the last meeting \(1 min\)](#)

Motion: To approve the previous meeting minutes
First: Jin, **Second:** Talia

New Business Overview

- | | |
|--|---|
| 5. Orientation Updates (Sydney) - 10 mins | 1 |
| 6. Mentorship Program (Cass) - 15 mins | 2 |
| 7. Membership Cards (Cass) - 10 mins | 3 |
| 8. Garneau Chiropractic and Hexagon Board Game Cafe and Orange Theory (Cass) - 15 mins | 4 |
| 9. Defining Benefits of APSA Membership (Sarah) - 5 mins | 4 |
| 10. APSA Survey: Communication (Sarah) - 10 mins | 5 |
| 11. Events Tracking (Sarah) - 5 mins | 6 |

New Business:

5. **Orientation Updates (Sydney) - 10 mins**

Sydney: Not really nothing new, but you can view the schedules and tours with outlines for activities in various rooms like PBLs, HUB, and Main Quad. I added ice breakers and points for orientation leaders to talk about in each building, but let me know if there's anything to add. I outlined each mint cup team and what their schedule will be about. Tomorrow night is the deadline to apply to present at orientation. I also outline what general orientation volunteers will be doing too as we have around 23 or 24 people who signed up for that.

Cass: I think it looks really great.

Goodwin: Just for the afternoon tour and activities description, I was wondering if it's easy to follow shifted one ahead?

Sydney: I couldn't do one ahead of time, but it's hard when two groups are in the same locations like last year, but I tried to set it up that they come from different directions if they are in the same area. It's up to the leader on how much time and what to talk about so this is just a general guide.

Jin: Can you give me 5-10 mins for my presentation?

Sydney: Yes I can.

Sarah: I am just going to add this point, but there's a set of blue doors near John Scott Library that can be locked in evenings and weekends, so I will pass on that code for orientation leaders to mention. And calling out Goodwin for not signing up to present about budget breakdown of membership fees.

Goodwin: You were saying that you wanted me to have the budget breakdown of member benefits?

Sarah: Yeah so last year Julia broke what your \$250 went to.

Goodwin: Yeah so I don't think it went well for first year students, not that there was anything wrong with the content, but it wasn't easy to understand without prior context. I just find it much harder to deliver that point, but hopefully we can discuss it before summer retreat.

Sydney: I can just put you in the section with Sarah if you want.[!] think it would be good to talk cost to give people something to think about

Goodwin: Yeah do that. I saw what Julia did before and I just want to try something different as an intro but not a detailed presentation.

Sydney: We do need that slide to tell students what it costs though as we are pushing for APSA memberships during orientation to have in the back of their heads.

Cass: I think Julia wasn't there so Bojana presented for her so maybe that's why it didn't translate well. But it's good to show the value of the membership by talking about costs of stuff like intramural sign up without a membership.

Goodwin: That's what I did last year as Sports Rep but orientation leaders could discuss it too. But it makes sense about explaining the cost to students as it would be a lot to ask orientation leaders to do.

Sydney: I will have a meeting with the orientation leader for key points.

Jin: When are orientation leader emails being sent out?

Sydney: Probably by Monday once I have looked it over.

6. **Mentorship Program (Cass) - 15 mins**

Cass: Let's start with a mentorship program, I will share my screen to show the results. Only 13 responses and 6 responses from mentees. So this is the feedback from mentors, they were unsatisfied and mainly the issue was lack of engagement from mentees. They also said that it would have been good to have an opt out or sign up program. One person suggested partnering with friends but could make other mentees feel left out. Generally they wanted more opportunities to meet with mentees. For changes, they said more engagement and more opportunities as well as a list of expectations and ideas to create connections.

Talia: I agree with the opt in idea. I remember being a mentee and not really getting anything from my mentors. Then as a mentor, I had one out of three mentees who emailed me questions so there are some who utilize it. The one mentorship meeting I was not able to make which I felt bad about. It's a program with good intentions that just needs to be implemented better. One a side note, I want to mention that Trent reached out about a peer tutoring program. The plan was not to implement it yet and just to discuss this year, but I will keep you in the loop about it for next year to potentially fuse it with the mentorship program..

Cass: Okay, my only concern with that is because I'm matching them up before the year starts it's hard to know where students will struggle and if mentors will be able to tutor mentees.

Talia: Yeah just something to keep in mind as it's just a concept and if there are still issues this year it still has room to grow should incorporate the peer tutoring program.

Jin: It was hard to reach my mentor because she was a 4th year and I never got to meet her as the only event she went to was the one event I didn't attend.

Goodwin: I just think the list of expectations you might want to consider how you word it, but maybe highlighting collaboration as a necessity for the program might be good to try to promote forming connections. Then it might be a good starting point, to push connecting with classmates and potentially upper years.

Cass: Okay I will talk about mentees feedback before we discuss ideas. But they also want more from mentors, most of them said they reached out and then contact died out. Some mentees forgot they had a mentor and vice versa. Same thing, they want more events to meet up which is fair as there was only one event and not really any guidance for mentors. Lot of people did not find it useful with nothing past [the] first email often. But looking at the website for the mentorship program, it was only recently made mandatory due to COVID, so I'm thinking about an opt out program as well as an opt in system if they change their minds. I thought about maybe having a poll to check how much they want to interact with each other to allow matching based on desired engagement level But also making more events to interact with mentorships. And setting expectations of contacting mentees, maybe once a month or 1-2 times a semester or information to give mentees. Another suggestion is to tell mentors to practice skills lab interactions with mentees to help bond and support mentees.

Sydney: I think it's great to have a list of ideas to discuss and try to have times to check in, like. I did beginning, midterms and finals.

Jin: I agree suggesting reminders or timings for mentors to contact mentees. And in general having mentorship events to allow them to put a face to a name. They are the easiest to implement.

Goodwin: With expectations, I think maybe making group chats might make it uncomfortable for students to talk about struggling with classes, but also mentors might wanna reach out one on one to students to check in. Some students in the same group don't end up being friends with each other, so it might be good for it not to always be a group thing;

Cass: Just based on the feedback, most mentors wanted more than one mentee. One person in the mentees said they wanted more than one mentor. Generally no one wanted just one on one only.

7. **Membership Cards (Cass) - 10 mins**

Cass: I wanted to have a discussion about making hard copies of the card as it didn't feel official and anyone could access a PDF file. I was looking around and the cheapest I saw plastic cards was \$250 for plastic cards through Vista print, but I assume it will be okay if I incorporate it into my budget.

Goodwin: Informally yes, I think historically it can go through subprint, but I don't have documentation. And if you started looking into sponsors can you talk to them about being able to identify the card to inform their staff?

Cass: Yeah I will let them know with an image of the card, but it's up to them to inform staff. Did they ever deny you a discount?

Goodwin: I think it worked easier with hard copy cards in first year and I had more issues during second year with that.

Cass: Previously I don't think it was through Subprint potentially the bars funded it but they stopped last year. So this year I'm looking around and subprint does laminated cards for about the same price.

Jin: Subprint tends to be a bit expensive, so we might want to look around a bit more.

Sarah: Is that with the student group discount at Subprint? Which all execs should get once our group is officially registered for this year.

Cass: It probably isn't, but I will get with them again. But here is a sample card, I wanted to ask if we can put their name on the card so we can identify they are an APSA member. I also included a QR code to give the document with all the businesses and discounts in addition to general student discounts. Anyone have thoughts on putting the name on it?

Jin: I think it looks good. But it might require a verification step by staff.

Goodwin: Let's say they do that and we want to blacklist an event then we can see if the same person comes up. But I am not interested in policing and just telling people its APSA member only and hope they understand that deception is not a good quality in the program so it's up to students to act responsibility.

Cass: I just think it's a quick and easy way to show you're an APSA member without any serious implications or enforcement required.

Sydney: I think people will abuse the discount card regardless unless you require a picture, but it adds a personalization to the card.

Cass: Okay thank you for your input. I am planning to have it by the first day of school to distribute it, but so far I have 12 discounts.

8. **Garneau Chiropractic and Hexagon Board Game Cafe and Orange Theory (Cass) - 15 mins**

Cass: In the midst of reaching out to companies, some replied with some requests. Hexagon was interested in collaborating in hosting events and to contact them with ideas for fundraisers or hosting events. Garneau Chiropractic mentioned they had a student discount, but also they did a wellness talk for students with lunch, but they want to discuss doing this for each year. Orange Theory wanted a phone call about it and they discussed it with a contract where we would be required to advertise them for a student deal. Still waiting for the contract, but I can show you guys when they pass it on. Hopefully they don't require much. And when I contacted YEG Cycle and they said they would donate one month's worth of unlimited spin classes on a giftcard to use.

Jin: I think the Orange Theory sounds a little bit vague, so I don't know how much they will bring forward with it to benefit us. And I would consider a fundraising event at Hexagon for Movember.

Cass: I might just say no to the contract, and just say if you have a discount then we will do it.

Sarah: Adding to Orange Theory if they have a contract requirement of exclusivity then keep in mind that CAPSI gives a Goodlife Fitness discount.

Goodwin: So the four unresolved items are Orange theory, Garneau, Hexagon and YEG cycle? I think the YEG cycle will be a prize. Hexagon wants the consideration of collaboration which is not hard as we have the discount to utilize there, we just have to let the council know about that opportunity. Garneau chiropractic, I'm not sure it's in APSA's best interest to make entire classes attend the session, but if they want a single lunch and learn with voluntary attendance would be okay. I believed they collaborated with RedEye and they pushed for student marketing, but it shouldn't be a super official event making everyone from each year attend sessions. Maybe doing a series or a single session for voluntary attendance then that would be fine. Secondly, they need to give money in advance to buy food for them not after the fact as a finance request.

Cass: Should I tell them to buy the food?

Goodwin: If we are organizing it and advertising it then they need to give us the money to buy the food. But if they want to bring food, they need to understand that it's organized under us.

9. **Defining Benefits of APSA Membership (Sarah) - 5 mins**

Sarah: So I have something to present at orientation and to finalize what we discussed in a previous meeting, I have designed a couple of infographics to hopefully highlight the main benefits. I wanted to get

your input about what might be better for the Orientation, Website or both. Essentially one graphics focuses on what you get as an APSA member and the other compares Members and Non-Members.

Jin: I like the comparison better because it's less wordy.

Sarah: Okay, I can also remove the descriptions on the first example too

Talia: I like the simplicity of comparison as well as it getting rid of the confusion of what people can do without a membership. I do think the first one is more pretty so if you can remove the descriptions on that one it would look simpler but just as effective.

Goodwin: The QR code could link to the second one. But the comparison is good for a lot of situations. Also I don't know if VP Admin has premium canva, but the social media director last year had a premium if you want more stuff.

Cass: What do you mean about Space and Wellness giveaways? Because I thought we talked about contests and prizes being for APSA member only.

Sarah: I meant like the free food days like pie day, I was worried it might be confusing.

10. **APSA Survey: Communication (Sarah) - 10 mins**

Sarah: So I know it's been a while since this survey came up in a meeting. We already had one survey from Cass go out recently so don't think we want to send out another one so soon so I thought this might be a discussion with execs. Though I understand we won't be the best sample of the student body. The topics that were potentially considered was communication to students and sponsors. I don't think we have a clear idea of what we want to ask students about what they want to take away from sponsors at events. Communication is something that I personally wanted to clarify in my campaign. I essentially wanted to ask about what is the preferred method of communication and how aware of events students felt.

Jin: I think Facebook groups are okay, but they don't use it often. But word of mouth seems to be the best method to convince other people to go.

Cass: I think a lot of people didn't realize events were happening. I only knew from checking the FB page constantly and then I would tell my friends and convince them to go. I know you suggested a calendar in the lounge which might be good as they aren't actively checking Facebook.

Sarah: I guess based on our current events planned so far, I don't think I will ever be able to make calendars prior to each month, but I don't even think I will have one for September.

Cass: What about putting on the whiteboard in the APSA lounge and people write on it when they have events?

Sarah: But I think it should go into PBLs and APSA lounge as not everyone uses the lounge.

Cass: Okay, but if we are trying to differentiate what APSA versus Non-APSA members get then I think it should just be in the APSA lounge anyway. It's more accessible than checking the Facebook group.

Sarah: What I could do is make a QR code to the google calendar that's being updated and post that in all the rooms since some people don't want to add the calendar to their own calendars.

Jin: I don't think it's feasible for the APSA lounge, but letting people add on the whiteboard might be problematic. I think we should post on instagram using the story so you should talk to the Social media director to advertise events and potentially reach the incoming student bodies.

Sydney: I was gonna say that when Jared Scharff was doing calendars for months during first year, so I was thinking about doing that and updating as events come up as well as for class reps to post. I like the idea of doing instagram as it was used in September but then it died down over time. Let me know if you want to add stuff to that calendar though.

Sarah: Yeah, I guess from my perspective as class rep last year, is that I would send out a newsletter on Sunday then a new event would start on Monday without me being aware of it. This is likely an issue

moving forward that we need to set deadlines to make councilors aware of these events. But yes we can do that for Pharmacy Cup events and if I want to incorporate more things I can let you know, Sydney.

Goodwin: Big fan of word of mouth, we can utilize the social reps to advertise that with slides and have registration QR right there. They should advertise their own events so it shouldn't be hard to advertise all events.

11. **Events Tracking (Sarah) - 5 mins**

Sarah: So as the description says, I wanted to get execs input on how we should be tracking events this year. I set up this spreadsheet similar to the one used last year but added additional columns to allow comments on potential sponsorship. I don't know if you guys had anything else to add here? And just a general note that any room booking for September, I cannot make due to University policy preventing student groups from booking rooms during the work days before 5pm until after the add/drop deadline. So I will be requesting room bookings by August 28th for me to send to Brenda Oscroft to book for us through the faculty. Any events after 5pm or on weekends I can still book rooms in September though.

Sydney: Could we benefit from having a column for desired date versus actually booked dates? So it would be nice to know if a date is taken.

Cass: Is the purpose of this for councilors to know about all events?

Sarah: Yes, it's for any tentative events and tracking booking of events.

Cass: Also, last year there were checkboxes for room booking or submission of events to Bearsden, do you think we should have those?

Sarah: Those were likely from the old google form submission process last year, but I can add columns for BearsDen submission and room booking submission to track the progress of event planning too.

12. Additions to the Agenda:

13. Adjournment (8:13 pm)

Motion: To adjourn

First: Cass, **Second:** Jin